Open Class Judges

I have a made a point of seeing BDB, SCVC, Tealsound, Citation, Cap Regiment, Revo and I have to say I am very disappointed in the Open Class Judges. I have taught D1 to D2 and D3. I feel that once again the open classes judges are missing the boat. BDB,Tealsound and SCVC have shows that are far more superior than the rest of open class. Nothing againt the other teams, they all are working hard. Yet, the judges dont know how to judge or are so lost that they don't know what to judge. I hope that DCI would stop looking down on the little guys and start giving them a far read.

:tongue:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a made a point of seeing BDB, SCVC, Tealsound, Citation, Cap Regiment, Revo and I have to say I am very disappointed in the Open Class Judges. I have taught D1 to D2 and D3. I feel that once again the open classes judges are missing the boat. BDB,Tealsound and SCVC have shows that are far more superior than the rest of open class. Nothing againt the other teams, they all are working hard. Yet, the judges dont know how to judge or are so lost that they don't know what to judge. I hope that DCI would stop looking down on the little guys and start giving them a far read.

:cool:

Perhaps the judges are missing the best part of the "team's" performance because the "team" is usually in the locker room during halftime.

:cool:

Well, the corps you mention are at the top of the Open class right now. What else do you expect? A larger spread in the scores?

There are some good design things going on with other corps that are in the top 12 as well, though.

Open class is mostly about achievement.

I haven't seen BDB or SCVC this summer, and sadly will not be able to. But one thing I do know about BDB, SCVC and Tealsound is that they are much larger and much louder than other open class corps. Size isn't what makes a corps good, if anything I believe that it can be deceiving for a viewing audience. I do agree that there may be some judges that really don't do a good job... but definitely not all of them. However, if various judges keep the a spread consistent in different shows, then I think that they are doing something right. If the scores were all over the place from show to show then I would be concerned. All we can do is watch and wait and the outcome will be determined at finals.

I have a made a point of seeing BDB, SCVC, Tealsound, Citation, Cap Regiment, Revo and I have to say I am very disappointed in the Open Class Judges. I have taught D1 to D2 and D3. I feel that once again the open classes judges are missing the boat.

I agree that they might be missing the boat, though apparently for different reasons than you.

I gather that you think BDB, SCVC, and Teal should be placing ahead of all others all the time, correct? I can't agree.

I've not seen Teal Sound perform, so I can't comment on that aspect of things. I did get to the Omaha show, which BDB won. I expected SCVC to win, followed by Revolution, and then BDB. A friend had BDB fourth. ANother just assumed BDB would be slotted first; he was the only one not surprised by the win.

So, if there's indication by scores in other venues that BDB isn't getting slotted into first because it's larger than other corps and part of the BD family, then I'm reassured that the judges aren't simply slotting things in advance.

I feel that once again the open classes judges are missing the boat. BDB,Tealsound and SCVC have shows that are far more superior than the rest of open class. Nothing againt the other teams, they all are working hard. Yet, the judges dont know how to judge or are so lost that they don't know what to judge. I hope that DCI would stop looking down on the little guys and start giving them a far read.

Since you are experienced, surely you can appreciate that the judges are implementing a system. If you look a one of the sheets such as Music Effect, there is more to what the judges are evaluating than the big moments and a "catchy" title to the show. Granted, I provided a link to a "World Class" sheet, but the concepts are fairly consistent from open to world judging, it is more the point inflation that varies. This isn't to insult anyone, but check out this article: DCI.ORG "Judging 101". There are many areas where the groups challenging Teal and SCVC are making big gains.

Up until the corps performed for the large panel, I think you argument would have had more substance - but I don't think the judges experienced a mass shared hallucination.

Now - it is possible that the large panel will give some of the corps (especially Teal) the "kick in the pants" that it takes to actually fulfill their design - assuming the design works. Of course, if the corps fulfills the design and and does not experience a significant gain in score - that should tell you something.

Teal had a better show 3 years ago than they have now (my opinion). And yet - I like their show, it just seems awkward and fragmented in coordination - both content and mechanics.

Jason :tongue: