The Open Class Series Championship

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know someone you can thank.

LOL

As a fan, I'm not interested in whose financially viable-- I'm interested in whose good! That's why I think there should be a show Wednesday morning and afternoon of finals week, featuring the top 6 open class corps and all the world class corps not in the top 17 coming into finals week. The top 7 move on to quarter finals Thursday afternoon. The schedule might be a little rigorous, but heck--they'll probably have Friday and Saturday off anyway.

In addition to giving open class corps a chance to get into quarter finals, it would also isolate an audience for the smaller corps--give them an extra show w/ an audience in a stadium setting-- not a final show on tuesday in a high school stadium in Michigan City? Have you ever been to Michigan City? Geez

Well, if Michigan City is like most of the other places OC has competed..it's NOT MUCH to write home about!!!!

It is really tempting to continue this circular debate :thumbup: but I won't. :thumbup:

From my perspective:

BeatDeadHorse.gif

Well, if Michigan City is like most of the other places OC has competed..it's NOT MUCH to write home about!!!!

Much like Gary, Michigan City used to be known for its violence and inner city style poverty-- its still like that in the neighborhoods but they put a commuter train through there and built a mall and and outlet mall there and its has nicer stuff than it used to-- I haven't been through there in 4 years, since I lived in chicago.

Actually, the Michigan City show site is not bad at all. I've been their the last couple years for the Cavies home show they have there around the fourth of July. It's really not bad and I believe they put new turf in recently.

Actually, the Michigan City show site is not bad at all. I've been their the last couple years for the Cavies home show they have there around the fourth of July. It's really not bad and I believe they put new turf in recently.

echoes....Mich. City is the perfect Open Class venue. I believe the corps and city would be better served to have the entire OC events here during Finals week. I know one DQ owner who would be very, very happy.

echoes....Mich. City is the perfect Open Class venue. I believe the corps and city would be better served to have the entire OC events here during Finals week. I know one DQ owner who would be very, very happy.

I've been to that DQ! Also, I agree that it is a good site for Open Class, but (I may be wrong on this) it seems to me like Open Class does better when they are in the same venue as the World Class Corps for Semis/Finals (see Pasadena 2007).

According to dci.org all 19 corps will be performing at Friday's semifinals. The two bottom corps (probably Stentors and Blue Saints) will be in exhibition not competition.

This is pretty ridiculous. Why not change the numbers to 10 finalists, 15 semi-finalists. I just think that the competition aspect (and let's face it, that's what this is about) is a joke. Having marched open class (or Div II) in a year that was stacked with competition, I think that this is a way in which competition can stay alive.