The Future of Drum Corps?

I tend to agree with that there's more smaller corps than there are top 12 corps :) but kinda reinforces my comment that corps need to start local efforts even if the kids the teach and help in a girls/boys club aren't up to the world class standards they could be guided to an Open Class corps where the teaching continues. The expansion of "draft a corps" by multi-region recruiting has helped and hurt many corps. Regional corps I see as a future of the activity, as schools systems shrink the summer, here in Palm springs they are talking ending school on the 18-20th of June and Starting on August 10th that would leave a 5 week season, so the only solution will be the Upper Corps will recruit the colleges leaving the HS kids to find a Open Class or regional tour corps to join. but what would a show in Oklahoma look like 3-4 corps? Would there still be 12 world class touring corps? would there be 30 small regional corps....if you don't have a foundation you can't get to the penthouse

Yeah, and that's now the big problem. It's kind of past the point of no return for DCI. Which is why in my mind DCI is so desperately trying to redefine itself in the band world. It's not really about new voices or design improvements for the good of the activity it's about DCI's very survival. What could have saved them a few years ago is the last thing I see them doing at this point. Stoping in their tracks and changing direction by Investing time and money in recreating themselves is not something I see DCI doing when they can just get slimmer and redefine the mission of who they are and hence what they are and to many what Drum Corps is. A brand new organization would have to be created that didn't have the business and survival needs that DCI is now facing. And just as a numbers comment WC is actually (I believe) 22 this year.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you look at a band circuit like BOA, the smaller bands really dont have any say there and tend to get overlooked for the big boys

Yeah, and that's now the big problem. It's kind of past the point of no return for DCI. Which is why in my mind DCI is so desperately trying to redefine itself in the band world. It's not really about new voices or design improvements for the good of the activity it's about DCI's very survival. What could have saved them a few years ago is the last thing I see them doing at this point. Stoping in their tracks and changing direction by Investing time and money in recreating themselves is not something I see DCI doing when they can just get slimmer and redefine the mission of who they are and hence what they are and to many what Drum Corps is. A brand new organization would have to be created that didn't have the business and survival needs that DCI is now facing. And just as a numbers comment WC is actually (I believe) 22 this year.

within 3 years it will be 25 and then...well, that will be that. 25...no fewer....no more.

3 spots left...

Teal Sound is going to get one of them...the race is on for the other two...Cap Reg and Southwind combined? Just a thought. Who else?

so what if they get 25 and someone else qualifies

within 3 years it will be 25 and then...well, that will be that. 25...no fewer....no more.

3 spots left...

Teal Sound is going to get one of them...the race is on for the other two...Cap Reg and Southwind combined? Just a thought. Who else?

But what happens with the 3 remaining cadet corps?

I guess they will be "cut loose". Unless they can provide a "revenue stream" for DCI.

I am still waiting for a reply from Tom about whether it his opinion or the official DCI position that DCI will be weeded out to include only the top revenue producing corps. If it is Tom's opinion, I'd like to know DCI's official stance.

The intent of this thread was to discuss the future of the drum corps activity and the leadership role DCI and DCA could have. By knowing what direction each is taking, each drum corps fan can decide whether or not to support either or both. Or, as has been suggested go a different direction.

Rick

One of them will probably be called BDB+. :rolleyes: