State of Drum Corps 2009

They also play in tune now. I hear recordings of the "loud" horn lines of the 70's and I think SOME of them just sound shrill. There are some notable exceptions '75 Madison for example. There are others, but a lot of them just sound bad if you ask me. Yes, I said it. I totally agree that there is some idealization of memories going on.

The bolded part is a bit of an over-generalization when talking about the G era. There were some very loud and in tune brass lines on G (Star 93, BD 98 etc). A good horn line is a good horn line no matter what they are playing on. Maybe the Bb horns just make the bad lines sound less bad, but everyone is quieter now. It's not fond memories of days gone by.

I just saw Vanguard live last week, and I was expecting that company front to push me back, but even it wasn't THAT loud.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you watching the same show as me?

2. Corps in general, appear to be trying to outsmart each other by trying to come up with the newest, most obscure composers and arrangements.

BD played Gershwin

Crown played Copland and Bernstein and Somewhere over the Rainbow

SCV's entire show was Copland's Appalachian Spring, probably played as true to the original as any corps has ever done

Cadets' entire show was West Side Story

Cavaliers were the only top corps to try something a bit more obscure

3. The excitement levels are way down, eveidenced by the lack of a crowd last night. In years past, Tghursday night would have been packed with 20K people

Completely false. There has never been anywhere close to 20,000 at Quarters.

What happened to a corps playing so loud at specific points in a show to try to move the stadium back 5', it's gone.

Still happens. Did you go for popcorn at the end of SCV's show? Cadets'? Crown's?

What happened to a corps playing so loud at specific points in a show to try to move the stadium back 5', it's gone.
Still happens. Did you go for popcorn at the end of SCV's show? Cadets'? Crown's?
I just saw Vanguard live last week, and I was expecting that company front to push me back, but even it wasn't THAT loud.

I just want to weigh in one more technical, scientific, nerdy thing. The only way to truly, without a doubt, end the volume argument is to get a machine using a constant velocity and volume of air to play an open G on a G bugle and a Bb on a Bb horn. Further more, if the g bugles are louder and maintain decibels at a longer range, I would like a scientific explanation as to how that's possible using the same amount of air. The G bugles have more tubing, more air space to fill, hence more air required, if I'm wrong on this I'd like to know how? :smile:

I just want to weigh in one more technical, scientific, nerdy thing. The only way to truly, without a doubt, end the volume argument is to get a machine using a constant velocity and volume of air to play an open G on a G bugle and a Bb on a Bb horn. Further more, if the g bugles are louder and maintain decibels at a longer range, I would like a scientific explanation as to how that's possible using the same amount of air. The G bugles have more tubing, more air space to fill, hence more air required, if I'm wrong on this I'd like to know how? :smile:

What is the difference in bore size? I don't have my slide rule in front of me, but I'd be willing to bet bore size is playing more of a role in friction than tube length...

Disclaimer: I prefer the G sound.

Honestly I don't know if there is any scientific basis to the claim that bugles are louder.

Another possible theory I (the hobbyist) have: arrangers tend to write keys that are easiest for the horn.

If most of what a corps plays is a minor third lower than what another corps plays, is it reasonable to think that the first (lower) corps might be perceived as lower/darker/richer simply by virtue of the average key?

Or, if G bugles require more air to play, is it reasonable to imagine that players of such horns might simply get used to putting out more air per unit time?

I am now interested in this bore size thing, anyone have two horns they can measure? Sorry, I have an engineering mind, these various variables fascinate me. Disclaimer: I do prefer Bb, I think intonation and overall ensemble sound have improved since their introduction. I have a love/hate relationship with the synth/mic thing, but that's another talk all together.