Is there any point for drums and bugles anymore?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, I am now getting to be something an old-timer, and some years I can really relate to people complaining about the show design "not being like it used to be."

But this year, I just don't get it. The top five corps are AMAZING. They are all very different in their approaches. They all play great, and march circles around what we used to do in the old days. The guards do plenty of equipment work. The drums DO play a lot of notes (this year).

And much of the music is THE SAME STUFF that corps were playing 20, 30, 40 years ago -- West Side Story, Appalachian Spring, Somewhere Over the Rainbow . . . Bernstein, Copland, Gershwin -- and IMHO is just as effective now as back then. Probably more so, because now it is performed better.

For goodness sakes, The Troopers are even back in the mix.

Sure, there are corps that have done an amateurish job of incorporating amplification and electronics into their programs, but most of them are paying for it on the scoresheet (IMHO). The corps will figure out what works and what doesn't, what fans like and don't like. Didn't you notice that narration almost completely disappeared this season?

This is a great year for drum corps. Try to enjoy it.

From a business perspective, the attrition in corps at the top level continues ... 19 corps in World Class this year? The powers that be at DCI (i.e. the corps' directors) are unwilling, or unable, to change the course of the activity. An activity that, in its present form, is unsustainable.

22 World Class Corps this year. And actually, things have been remarkably stable at the World Class level for at least a decade.

Open class - that's a different story.

This years top 5 (well....2-5) have some of the most dynamic, interesting and exciting shows I've seen in a VERY Long time. This is the first year in recent memory that I can honestly say I'm excited to see more than just one or two shows. Crown's show is nothing short of AMAZING, and I see something new every time I see it. The use of synths and electronics is so well integrated that even the OP admitted he actually had to look to the field to see that the tubas weren't playing before he realized what he was listening to. Maybe you should think about how great it is that the tubas are freed up for a moment to participate more in the visual aspects of the show, then just trying to blow loud chords the entire show.

People need to LET GO of the past, and their idea of what drum corps used to be, and appreciate the level of sophistication and complexity that these organizations are putting on the field. Maybe it's not your cup of tea, maybe you need mindless loud chords and true to life representations of well established pieces with classic drill moves to be happy, but that doesn't make what these kids are doing now any less amazing.

I agree with most of this, and I think that the shows are AMAZING, and that the performers are working very hard. What I don't agree with, is all of that hard work, and amazing show design coupled with a half-###ed sound crew that have more screw-ups than they do triumphs. Seriously...FIRE THE SOUND PEOPLE and replace them, or don't use synths at all if you're going to keep them(the sound people) on. Too much "noise" is not always a good thing, and it snowballs very easily.

I was at the Buffalo show on Sunday and will admit that "most" of the corps were very entertaining. I really enjoyed Santa Clara's show the most by far. The company front at the end of the show had the crowd going crazy.

One question though....I'd love to find out what the budget of a corps was in 1972 verses 1995 verses today. I watched 8 maribas, amps and tons of stuff being carted on the field by each corps. Any economic majors out there that would like to take a stab at this?

Hey, I was there too!

As for the economics of it, it may be comparing apples and oranges. Don't some corps get a promotional break for playing certain brands of instrument? I don't know, but any way the numbers shake out, I'm sure it has to be unbelievably expensive to buy everything -- including synths and all the amplification equipment -- and then take that on the road. My husband couldn't believe all the stuff corps were hauling out on the field. That, all by itself, is quite the production number. Not saying it's good or bad; it is what it is, but it's impressive that the corps can take all of that on.

Sure, there are corps that have done an amateurish job of incorporating amplification and electronics into their programs, but most of them are paying for it on the scoresheet (IMHO).

I know you said IMHO, but I must say that unless we see a judge sheet, or hear a judge tape say, "the amps are too loud and distracting to the rest of the show", we have no way of knowing that it is affecting the score. I can say based on what I saw and heard, IMHO, that the poor balance is not affecting the music score enough becuse we continue to hear pits overbalancing the rest of the ensemble.

Hey judges, tell them to get balanced or lose points. If one part of the horn line is overbalanced, you know that would affect the score.

I think you are more than welcome to enjoy whatever shows you want and have fun at it! The American way. But let me ask--if you went to the opera (and dropped $250 on tickets) to watch Joan Sutherland do Madame Butterfly--and the Blue Devils showed up blaring some sad-### warmed over Chuck Mangione arrangement on the stage next to the opera performers, would you consider it opera? Would you even consider going? Some might, but the patrons and benefactors of opera would cut it to ribbons. That's what's happening here with DCI. How many people would stop going to shows if DC decided to drop dancing and smiling and electronics? Would you stop going? Or would more people go?

Maybe it's just me, but this comparison doesn't make much sense to me. Anyone that follows drum corps has a pretty good idea of what to expect at a show today. I agree with many on here that the top 5-6 shows are amazing and all offer something different.

Do you really believe that drum corps would even exist today if had stayed the same as it was 30 years ago?

One thing that seems to be missing from most of these discussions is what attracts the performers to do the activity. People really have to want to do the activity and believe in it to put out the time and money it takes to be in a DCI corps today. I doubt many young people today would be interested in doing a show from 30 years ago. Kids today grow up surrounded by electronics. Is it any surprise that most have no problem with what equipment is being used today?

I don't like every change that has happened since I marched, but I do like the direction DCI is going today and many of the shows this season can only be described as incredible. Narration is settling in as an effect and is not center stage anymore. Amps will probably do the same to some degree. These changes are like new toys that the corps learn how to play with and as they get better at it they become less obtrusive.

I would never tell anyone to go away if they don't like it, but look at it this way. The fanbase of legacy fans is constantly shrinking while the new fanbase is constantly growing from new members, ageouts, family, etc. Which fanbase do you think will have the biggest impact on corps in the future?

Edited by Jeffreelancer

Maybe it's just me, but this comparison doesn't make much sense to me. Anyone that follows drum corps has a pretty good idea of what to expect at a show today. I agree with many on here that the top 5-6 shows are amazing and all offer something different.

Do you really believe that drum corps would even exist today if had stayed the same as it was 30 years ago?

I for one can say I have ZERO interest in drum corps of the 70's and early 80's...and it's not just because I would have had to carry my instrument. The shows were flat, stale, and too structured. No art, no subtlety, no expression, no pageantry, just loud horns and symmetrical drill. One big snoozefest IMHO. If drum corps were like this nowadays I never would have gotten involved.

Edited by MarimbaManiac