Some irritating trends

I've seen every DCI World Class show with the exception of Jersey Surf and do have some favorite corps like BAC and this years Cadets but I'm getting a little weary of a couple three things that is in nearly all the shows.

1)The large spacing between the snare drums that allows for the WGI style "Monkey Drumming". Are we afraid to show precision anymore?

2)The use of the rotating box drill by way too many corps and the ranks and files are not even close to straight.

3) The oblique, chest puffed out, fists clenched stance exhibited by nearly all the corps. A show of agression and toughness after playing a bunch of no melodic foo foo music with emoting colorguard. I think it's silly. The only Corps that chould be allowed to use this stance are BAC and Cadets because they truly had some testosterone out there on the field.

4) This is for this year. Can we leave the 60 or so desks and chairs back at the bingo hall instead of cluttering up the field?

The Blue Devils did all this stuff at the Finals in California and everyone is still in copy mode. Pleas stop it. Using Blue Devils Moves is not going to help your score.

Edited by Kansan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What te hell is monkey drumming?

It's drumming with a monkey, obviously.

i assume from no answer that you have put your foot in your mouth...

i will not say that i think you are saying what i think you're saying, but if you are, ill make sure you're kicked off this forum.

i would venture a guess, but it's when the snares are separated enough to do full arm swings, like every drumline does at the end of their solo...ending with one or multiple rim shots...with a visceral grunt following

The Blue Devils did all this stuff at the Finals in California and everyone is still in copy mode. Pleas stop it. Using Blue Devils Moves is not going to help your score.

as will using their warm-ups.....bottom line...best technically trained marching corps out there...try to do what they do? YOU GET BURNT!!!

:smile::smile::thumbdown::smile:

Its the big over the head arms movements. as a monkey might do. Devils started doing it 12-13 years ago. It has stuck. Big intervals don't preclude precision.

i assume from no answer that you have put your foot in your mouth...

i will not say that i think you are saying what i think you're saying, but if you are, ill make sure you're kicked off this forum.

I think I know what you think he was saying ... but, no.

Monkey drummng is the arms flaying, elbow up-wrist down-to-elbow down-wrist up, motion.

Visual effect? Yes.

Pecision required? Yes.

Rudimentary? No.

Just a style, that's all :smile:

Edited by Liam

:smile: I'm not a drummer, but I've watched several drumline warmups this year and have seen all of the shows this season at least a few times. The standard spacing when snares are in a single line in most groups seems to be about a stick length from drum to drum. You're saying they should be closer??