An Open Letter to Santa Clara Vanguard

</topic>Man. I still need to get in touch with you about doing a painting, Jeff. That pic in your sig is stunning<topic>

Why did I just hijack my own thread? :doh:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THANKS SCV!!!! the best drum corps show i,ve seen in a long time. :doh:

I saw Quarterfinals at the theatre, and with that the final push by Santa Clara made the hair on my arms stand up. One of the very few times that has happened. And it was on a SCREEN! Their whole show was great! Nothing else compared, IMO.

THAT is was Santa Clara is all about!

</topic>Man. I still need to get in touch with you about doing a painting, Jeff. That pic in your sig is stunning<topic>

Why did I just hijack my own thread? :tongue:

Hey Randy - thanks for the compliment. Send me a PM and

let me know what you have in mind for a painting.

This is the first of my after season mia culpas...

I saw this show in Glendale. I thought 7th-8th place. I was of course way off...wrong on my whole assessment.

Now this epiphany didn't just arrive after last night. I saw the show all summer via the FN and by SA, a second viewing, it was clear how wrong my first impression was.

Funny, that Glendale show...I said after that show Troopers would be a finalist with Academy chasing them so I do attest not to be way off on everything.

But, this SCV crew this year...top to bottom...staff, supporters, Board and most importantly those wonderful marching members...thank you. What a beautiful show and the best last 3 minutes of a drum corps show this year.

Never thought I'd see a "mea culpa from Tom! :tongue:

Yeah, I remember some of your early reviews and also the call on Academy and Troopers as well.

Never thought I'd see a "mea culpa from Tom! :rock:

Yeah, I remember some of your early reviews and also the call on Academy and Troopers as well.

Yeah...I owe Crown a big one as well. Just having trouble finding the right thread. Those were my two big misses....well, there were a few more actually. I had Regiment 4-5 places higher than they actually were. I had Madison out of finals but not as low as 15th. I actually pegged Academy 15th before the season began but am quite happy (but not satisfied) with their 14th place finish.

As far as Crown goes, like the SCV show, but for very different reasons, the Crown show grew on me more and more over the course of the season. By Allentown, it was clear I was going to like this show a lot. I think it's very telling of what DCI's top corps can still offer.

Cadets I was also pretty spot on. When I heard what they were doing and some of the early comments from Mr. Hopkins, I knew the show was going to be special. And it was.

You know...with a few days reflection, it's hard for me to understand the pure DCI haters out there. Last year, Regiment won with a pretty straight up show. This year, I saw from 12th to 1st, the shows most people enjoyed were the straight up shows. I believe more of them were evident this year.

Here's hoping for even more next year!

This was the most sublime show on the field this year. Thank you, Santa Clara!

Agreed. SCV, along with the Cadets, made me think back to when I first started following drum corps in 1997.

Funny - the Cadets and SCV both had special shows that year too, at least IMO.

Thank you Vanguard. You've been one of my favorites for years - and your efforts this year were tops in my eyes and to my ears. Beautiful and unforgettable.