An Open Letter to Santa Clara Vanguard

I personally found the show kinda boring, waiting all that time for a push that didn't crunch me was a bit of a drag. On a positive note i really dug the dance moves the snares pulled off during run thrus in the parking lot.

FIXED. This is a positive thread.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take exception to that. What bothered me about SCV this year was that Cadets did it first.....and IMO opinion - with more emotion. Cadets visual package in 87 was more effective and their drum book in 87 - well - according to the judges - was perfect.

SCV was great this year - their best in years.

I understand your point of view, but would also like to point out that Vanguard did this piece well before Cadets did it in 87. SCV had used pieces of this in 76,77,82, and 83. This was back in the period where it was acceptable and common to repeat music in consecutive years.

Cadets did a great job with this in 87, but I really thought Vanguard won the crowd over more this year. Both had great shows with this music.

When this season is just a memory, those memories will be of your show. Others may have placed higher, but in the fans eye, you were the classiest and most enjoyable field production of the year. No one will remember the musical chairs, but all will remember standing and cheering your closing company front and exit.

I would like to say how much my wife and I absolutely loved SCV this year. The music was fantastic. The visual package was awesome. And I haven't heard that much emotion from a hornline in many years. It shows that great classic drum corps remains great, even when alot of corps are taking a completely different direction.

And while this show placed 5th this year, most of the people at finals were feeling like this show was definitely underscored. And not to take anything away from Cadets and Cavaliers, but my wife and I honestly thought SCV should have placed 3rd. But the entire top 5 were fantastic.

Thank you SCV for one of the most amazing shows and performances of the decade. I am looking forward to seeing what you bring to the field next year.

Congrats on such a beautiful show! I am proud to be a part of the SCV family. Watching you guys this year brought a chills to my spine and a tears to my eyes.

And a special thanks to Jeff Fiedler. What an outstanding job you have done. Looking forward to next year already!!

The only show I went to this year was Atlanta. I bought a program, but didn't really have a chance to read through each corps before they performed. As soon as I heard bits of Appalachian springs from SCV, I was incredibly excited. I was on the edge of my seat waiting for a big company front and the main melody. I was enticed the entire time and when that moment finally came, it was absolutely fantastic. That experience was relived in the theater for quarterfinals. The goosebumps up and down my spine were awesome. I got on here to find that several people really liked their show, which is great news. I will absolutely be watching their show over and over and they were one of my favorite shows this year. Thanks for a great show!

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this show. It turns out I thorougly enjoyed it and congratulate the 2009 Vanguard on a great achievement. It was an elegant show, with the combination of subtlety and power that is the hallmark of SCV. Well done!

Edited by StuStu

This was my favorite show this year...and my favorite of Vanguard's in many years.

Not only did they bring a huge amount of pure emotion with this show, they brought

artistry, subtlety and nuance in a way that I haven't seen before. BRAVO SCV! :doh: