An Open Letter to Santa Clara Vanguard

Maybe DCI should implement a rule: after piece of music X is used in competition, it cannot be used again for another 5 years.

Of all the problems that plague the acticity today, I would rank this about 37th.

Also, I think it's fun to compare/contrast different versions. Yes, once in a good while the frequency (quantatative) of a certain tune will be a little high, but things like that sometimes happens on the free market.

Too, younger marching members and fans should not be deprived of their chance to be exposed to the true classics -- if corps are interested in presenting them.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back on-topic...

Thank you so very much to the members and staff of this year's Vanguard for restoring my faith and interest in Drum Corps. I was moved to tears every time I saw the show.

:unhappy:

Guys, take it somewhere else please. I really don't want to close this thread but will if I have to.

Before you close the thread.........

Man, that was some great stuff. Loved the design and loved the drill. Music was great no matter what they played. And, after all there was indeed a connection between Martha Graham and that music. They had every right to play it, and they played it very well!

A great show is a great show.. No one can ever say that they didn't pull it off this year.

Not closing it yet. Just want the arguments to stop. Oh wait... this is DCP! :shutup:

Edited by skajerk

That is precisely what I am afraid of. BD used Rhapsody in Blue for their closer this year; what if 5 outfits do the same next year? Or they use "Happy Days are Here Again", or any other component of the BD show? What portion of this year's show will the designers simply regurgitate?

OK, the only comment I will make about this is: How many corps played "Spartacus" this year?

Great music is great music, and any corps is welcome to incorporate it into its repertoire. But especially with issues like copyright coming into play, it's getting harder and harder for corps to be able to actually perform music they want to play. So I don't advocate further restrictions on repertoire choices. Again, if we'd done that for "Appalachian Spring" say, after Santa Clara played it back in '83, then we would have been deprived of two of the greatest on-field productions of that piece ever. Including (to bring this back on-topic) this year's incredible program by Santa Clara. Yes, repetition happens, but given the magic Santa Clara gave us this year, I don't want to do anything that would prohibit them -- or someone else -- from doing it again.

Edited by byline

Sorry, I can't let this go just yet. :thumbup:

OK, the only comment I will make about this is: How many corps played "Spartacus" this year?

Great music is great music, and any corps is welcome to incorporate it into its repertoire. But especially with issues like copyright coming into play, it's getting harder and harder for corps to be able to actually perform music they want to play. So I don't advocate further restrictions on repertoire choices. Again, if we'd done that for "Appalachian Spring" say, after Santa Clara played it back in '83, then we would have been deprived of two of the greatest on-field productions of that piece ever. Including (to bring this back on-topic) this year's incredible program by Santa Clara. Yes, repetition happens, but given the magic Santa Clara gave us this year, I don't want to do anything that would prohibit them -- or someone else -- from doing it again.

Well said Sue!

Clearly, show designers are using the same tunes, over and over again.

Altogether, I count 53 separate instances of corps using Appalachian Spring. This includes 34 instances by junior corps alone - 3 in the past 2 years. One could argue that it has been overused. Copland's masterpiece is great - but we are in danger of making it cliche and monotonous.

Indeed it is probably time for us to put a moratorium on Copland's signature work. Similarly, since West Side Story was used by 3 WC finalists this year; we probably need a moratorium on it as well. According to corpsreps, it has been used 392 times. :devil: I am sure Leonard is flattered, but come on?

Rhapsody in Blue has also been badly overused - 33 times, according to corpsreps. Gershwin would not have approved. It also needs to go on moratorium status as well. Pictures At An Exhibition? 73 uses, according to corpsreps. Mussorgsky himself is probably getting tired of hearing his own work.

Here's a suggestion to show designers: stop using the same material, over and over again. More to the point, stop borrowing materials from each other, over and over again. Come up with some new and challenging musical selections - that is what you are paid to do!

Maybe DCI should implement a rule: after piece of music X is used in competition, it cannot be used again for another 5 years.

Why does this matter? Why should any of us care? In the 1980's, I went to a marching band contest, where Pictures at an Exhibition was performed by 8 straight competitors! It was ridiculous! People were groaning by the time the last rendition was played. I don't want to see drum corps descend into that; we have enough problems.

Now I will get off my :thumbup:

The only problem I have with new compositions, is they all sound the same. Lot's of today's Drum Corps are a lot alike and seem like "cookie cutter" forms of the same show. (I've heard this from many others as well.)

I'll take tunes I know, and are performed well. It also makes the new Drum Corps observer feel more welcome. Just IMO.

Clearly, show designers are using the same tunes, over and over again.

Altogether, I count 53 separate instances of corps using Appalachian Spring. This includes 34 instances by junior corps alone - 3 in the past 2 years. One could argue that it has been overused. Copland's masterpiece is great - but we are in danger of making it cliche and monotonous.

Indeed it is probably time for us to put a moratorium on Copland's signature work. Similarly, since West Side Story was used by 3 WC finalists this year; we probably need a moratorium on it as well. According to corpsreps, it has been used 392 times. :devil: I am sure Leonard is flattered, but come on?

Rhapsody in Blue has also been badly overused - 33 times, according to corpsreps. Gershwin would not have approved. It also needs to go on moratorium status as well. Pictures At An Exhibition? 73 uses, according to corpsreps. Mussorgsky himself is probably getting tired of hearing his own work.

Here's a suggestion to show designers: stop using the same material, over and over again. More to the point, stop borrowing materials from each other, over and over again. Come up with some new and challenging musical selections - that is what you are paid to do!

Why does this matter? Why should any of us care? In the 1980's, I went to a marching band contest, where Pictures at an Exhibition was performed by 8 straight competitors! It was ridiculous! People were groaning by the time the last rendition was played. I don't want to see drum corps descend into that; we have enough problems.

Now I will get off my :thumbup:

OOPS, double post...