Treble Clef Baritone...

OdeToArsenal47

I'm learning the Baritone and I've been a bad boy by learning everything on treble clef. Just, out of curiosity, if I were to audition for a drum corps tomorrow, would they be able to accommodate me not being able to read bass clef? I'm trying to learn bass clef but it takes a while to take everything you've ever known and throw it out the window. I'm going to learn bass clef (more material out there for it, no more using my old Tenor books), but I'm just curious if I could survive without it.

It will come to you quicker than you think .... if you take all of your Treble Clef music and transpose it by hand. Just writing it out helps it sink in. Strangely, you'll probably still see the music in your head as Treble Clef but, just like learning a second language, your brain swaps out the data and interprets it correctly. Good Luck but I wouldn't count on many corps having both Treble and Bass for Bari (maybe, but I doubt it).

If that's the case, that will be a big change from when I was in DCI.

Corps always had both.

In fact, the last 4 years I've marched in DCA, we've always had treble and bass clef parts for everyone.

I'm almost positive this is still the trend in DCI.

It's still normal in bands to have both parts, so I'd think they'd have both in corps as well.

I don't know with modern corps. But I can read Bass & treble Transposed parts only from necessity. Now it's like Meh Whatever.

What seems like the impossible isn't as bad as you might think. The more you read each type you'll be able to keep you bearings clear. Only tip I can give you is remember where your C is in the staff, and keep an eye on your Key Signatures.

Try this all in a week. Sunday G Contra (Treble) Tuesday (Bari-Sax Eb Treble) Gig Friday Night Tuba (Bass Clef) Then back to a Contra on Saturday or Sunday Starting the mess over again.. It's like a self imposed test from the evil music theory professor.

Plus on the side I'd work on my own arrangements... People wonder why I'm nuts..

It's easier and easier to provide music in whatever clef you read in now. It's just a push of the button in the music software. You could probably just write your parts into Finale and transpose them if you didn't want anything to do with bass clef or do like supersop said and write it out. It becomes second nature in no time.

They'd be able to accommodate your need, or they should at any rate. If they've got any credibility as a drum corps staff of any sort of quality, they will also get you learnin' bass clef at a faster rate than you would achieve on your own.

I'm of the opinion that it's a good idea for any baritone/euph/bari/whatever player to be able to switch between clefs. Nevermind the practical applications (such as much more stuff being written in bass for baritones), it's good mental exercise. So good job on taking the initiative. :tongue:

It depends on the corps. Or the members that might gobble up all of the printed treble clef parts leaving you only bass clef parts to use on site. Some corps even expect you to download and print the parts before you even come to rehearsal. Although sometimes you get versions of the charts that lets you transcribe them and print to taste. If you have the necessary software / gear / access and know how.

Not that switching between clefs is all that difficult. Take your bass clef notes and move them down two lines and there's your treble clef part. Not quite that simple, add two sharps to the key, and treat accidentals on those two special notes in a special way. But it'll get you within a whole tone of your destination fairly quickly.

It is common for corps to provide both versions. But don't count on it. You might not have the option to get your prefered print when it really counts in a crunch.

I'm a Flute player turned to Baritone, so I never learned to read Bass clef. In concert band at school, some of the music didn't come in TC, so I wrote all the fingerings underneath the notes, and even though I still read the piece in TC, I learned the fingerings for BC. Probably not the most efficient way to read music, but it worked :doh: