Mellophone

heyboiay

Hey guys, I've just got some general questions about the mello. I am planning on marching Spirit this year and was wondering what type of mouthpiece their mellos use as well as what do other corps use in comparison? Also how are parts split for the music arrangements, and what are some general tips for mello/DCI in general?

Thanks for reading

P.S. I play horn

Hey guys, I've just got some general questions about the mello. I am planning on marching Spirit this year and was wondering what type of mouthpiece their mellos use as well as what do other corps use in comparison? Also how are parts split for the music arrangements, and what are some general tips for mello/DCI in general?

Thanks for reading

P.S. I play horn

This is what they have used for the last few years. Of course, their staff will reevaluate each off season and make a choice dependent on a bunch of factors. However, Ray Vasquez is a strong proponent of the Hammond mouthpieces:

http://www.middlehornleader.com/Hammond%20Mouthpieces.htm

I'm playing on one right know. Well, after I finish typing.

This is what they have used for the last few years. Of course, their staff will reevaluate each off season and make a choice dependent on a bunch of factors. However, Ray Vasquez is a strong proponent of the Hammond mouthpieces:

http://www.middlehornleader.com/Hammond%20Mouthpieces.htm

I'm playing on one right know. Well, after I finish typing.

Hey thanks a lot! I just figured I would go ahead and get used to it so if I made the corps, things would be a little easier.

Hey thanks a lot! I just figured I would go ahead and get used to it so if I made the corps, things would be a little easier.

I wouldn't fret it if you don't have the same equipment as the corps when you audition. Just focus on showing strong fundamentals (keeping in time, supporting your tone, and playing with solid intonation), and you'll do great.

Check out Spirit's site. They should have an audition packet of some sort up in a month or so that will contain great information on what their expectations are for folks auditioning for the corps.

It's a great organization and if you prepare well, you'll be a part of them next summer. If not, seek out another corps and participate.

I wouldn't fret it if you don't have the same equipment as the corps when you audition. Just focus on showing strong fundamentals (keeping in time, supporting your tone, and playing with solid intonation), and you'll do great.

Check out Spirit's site. They should have an audition packet of some sort up in a month or so that will contain great information on what their expectations are for folks auditioning for the corps.

It's a great organization and if you prepare well, you'll be a part of them next summer. If not, seek out another corps and participate.

Hey thanks again! Oh and by the way, you have a beast name :doh:

You should hear him play Mellophone!

No Kidding. Scooter is the Man.

You can learn more about mellophone from Randomnoise, Scooter (sometimes....) and others at The Mello Cast

Chris, you have got to learn to promote, promote, promote.

• 3 months later...

Ha! I just saw this.

Firstly, if our names in any way represented our playing abilities, you, Chris, would be named "Lord Thor Manhammer!"

Secondly, congrats on continuing your reign as director of the Renegades!!!

In the past Spirit has always required members to buy the mouthpieces from them once you are offered a spot.