227 members have voted

1. 1. Woodwinds in DCI?

• Yay
    • Nay

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is apples and oranges. Drum Corps is much like Wind Ensemble and Marching Band is a lot like orchestra. Two different sounds, two different presentations.

OK, cool, gotcha. Now, some orchestra pieces use different instrumentation, and some band pieces use different instrumnetation, but you know you have an Orchestra (strings) and a band (WWs in higher proportion to brass).

Drum Corps would still sound like drum corps, b/c the hornlines will STILL BE THERE. And it will be outside. And it will have percussion, etc...

It's OK if some corps choose not to use WWs.

The sound of woodwinds can be created by the electronic keyboards in the pit. No need for them on the field.

Same can be said for the battery and brass... might as well let in woodwinds because this isn't drum and bugle corps anymore, it has strings.

I can honestly, with all truthfulness, say that the second I see a woodwind in a DCI competition, Drum Corps International would be dead to me. I would never spend another penny on the activity and go find a new hobby.

I can honestly, with all truthfulness, say that the second I see a woodwind in a DCI competition, Drum Corps International would be dead to me. I would never spend another penny on the activity and go find a new hobby.

Ditto!