National Orange Show (standstill)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did have standstill contests. The only contest appearance by the Anaheim Kingsmen in 1975 came at a California standstill show.

Is this something like the mini Corps today. But with the full Corps back in the day. Were these Show just in Ca. or all over? This is just interesting to me. Thank you for your response.

Dean

Is this something like the mini Corps today. But with the full Corps back in the day. Were these Show just in Ca. or all over? This is just interesting to me. Thank you for your response.

Dean

There were standstill circuits all over the place ... There was one called "The Sounds of Suffolk" on Long Island. Mostly Fife & Drum, or Fife, Drum & Bugle. They just stood in a block and played.

The Orange Show was held in San Bernardino, CA. at the Orange Show Fairgrounds. I remember there being a parade and an indoor standstill. It was usually held in March and included all the local So Cal Corps. I don't remember it being a DCI or drum corps only event, it seemed as if there were a lot of things going on with the standstill being just one of them. All I remember is that it was a big deal for all the local corps back in the day.

At the 1971 Orange Show the field was marked 10 yards or so short on the left hand side of the 50. As it was a standstill most corps just marched out to the 50 and set up in concert formation. The Lynwood Diplomats ended up 10 yards short as we had practiced our entrance on a "regulation sized" field and took a penalty when the drum major had the corps execute a left face, march 10 yards and then right-face back into center field. it was Stanley Knaub, the Diplomats M&M instructor, who protested and had them re-measure the field, thereby discovering the missing 10 yards.

I'll check with The Diplomats to get the exact story but it has been reported in Drum Corps World. I was there and saw it but it's one of those memories from almost forty years ago that's getting a big fuzzy.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

At the 1971 Orange Show the field was marked 10 yards or so short on the left hand side of the 50. As it was a standstill most corps just marched out to the 50 and set up in concert formation. The Lynwood Diplomats ended up 10 yards short as we had practiced our entrance on a "regulation sized" field and took a penalty when the drum major, Jim Good-- 1972 DCI Champion Kingsmen DM and the first "Best DM" in DCI history-- had the corps execute a left face, march 10 yards and then right-face back into center field. it was Stanley Knaub, the Diplomats M&M instructor, who protested and had them re-measure the field, thereby discovering the missing 10 yards.

I'll check with The Diplomats to get the exact story but it has been reported in Drum Corps World. I think it was in Northern Thunder's column. I was there and saw it but it's one of those memories from almost forty years ago that's getting a big fuzzy as to specifics.

RON HOUSLEY

A few more details were added to the above.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

At the 1971 Orange Show the field was marked 10 yards or so short on the left hand side of the 50. As it was a standstill most corps just marched out to the 50 and set up in concert formation. The Lynwood Diplomats ended up 10 yards short as we had practiced our entrance on a "regulation sized" field and took a penalty when the drum major had the corps execute a left face, march 10 yards and then right-face back into center field. it was Stanley Knaub, the Diplomats M&M instructor, who protested and had them re-measure the field, thereby discovering the missing 10 yards.

I'll check with The Diplomats to get the exact story but it has been reported in Drum Corps World. I was there and saw it but it's one of those memories from almost forty years ago that's getting a big fuzzy.

RON HOUSLEY

Just curious, were you with the Lynwood Diplomats in New Orleans in 68 for the AL Nat's?

I have fond memories of the Orange Show from my pre-Drum Corps aka youth band days, as well as from my first 2 years in drum corps - 1974 being my first performance there!