Switching Instruments

arual21

Hi, I am a sophmore in high school and I absolutely love marching band. My dream is to join a drum corps and I am willing to work as hard as I can to achieve my goal. I learned how to play the clarinet for marching band (I got some bad advice). I want to switch to a brass instrument so I can begin learning as soon as possible and increase my chances of making it into a corps, the only problem is I have no idea what instrument to choose. Can anyone give me some advice on the matter?

Many people advocate learning the baritone. They say it's the "easiest to learn." Personally, I enjoyed learning mellophone. It took work to build up the chops, though not as much as a trumpet, but it was still quite doable. Also, playing mellophone makes you listen more as a musician IMO.

Baritone seems to be the choice of woodwinds everywhere because of the embouchure set up. My friend managed to play baritone for only one season and made Cadets the next.

I don't know that much about woodwinds, but I do know that the number of woodwind players who switched over to brass to march corps is practically countless, and most of them were pretty good at it too. I once heard a band director say that a brass instrument can ruin a reed players lip, but I've never seen any evidence of that. If it were me I would first try them all - sop, mello, bari, even a trombone if one is available, and then see which one you feel best suits your chops. I was a drummer so I can't really give you any technical advice - only what I've witnessed over the years. Work hard at whatever you decide on and you'll probably make it. Good luck and best wishes. :cool:

I don't know that much about woodwinds, but I do know that the number of woodwind players who switched over to brass to march corps is practically countless, and most of them were pretty good at it too. I once heard a band director say that a brass instrument can ruin a reed players lip, but I've never seen any evidence of that. If it were me I would first try them all - sop, mello, bari, even a trombone if one is available, and then see which one you feel best suits your chops. I was a drummer so I can't really give you any technical advice - only what I've witnessed over the years. Work hard at whatever you decide on and you'll probably make it. Good luck and best wishes. :cool:

Actually, I think this advice is very sound.

How long you've been playing clarinet might influence your decision. Mello parts usually move faster than other voices, so if you've been playing a reed for a few years, the dexterity might be an advantage. But most important, you have to be comfortable with whatever instrument you decide to play. No amount of practice is going to make up for a general dislike of the sound of the instrument. You also want to be sure you can physically carry whatever you decide to play.

Pick your favorite instrument - after all, you're going to be playing it for at least the better part of a year. Anything is doable with enough skill and practice. I was a clarinet/woodwind player in my sophomore year when I decided drum corps might be fun, and 5 days on the baritone later, I was accepted into a World Class quarterfinalist corps at the first camp.

My personal take on DCI brass for an incoming clarinet player:

Trumpet

+ (I can't think of anything.)

- 3rd parts suck.

Mellophone

+ Awesome parts for everyone, the most complex instrument musically, and it sounds pretty good

- Chops.

Baritone

+ The easiest instrument to learn musically, occasional good parts, and that low brass resonance.

- Arm strength. Drum corps brought out the lactic acid in me.

Euphonium

+ Everything that's good about the baritone, times 10 (the parts and resonance are awesome!)

- Everything that's bad about the baritone, times 10

Tuba

+ No volume cap, easiest musical parts, the most B.A. instrument out there. Tuba players are half beast.

- Difficult to play well, and hurts like...well...a beast.

I went with the baritone for first year, got hooked on it, converted to low brass full-time, and played euph for my second year. Best decision I've ever made.

Best of luck to you.

My personal take on DCI brass for an incoming clarinet player:

Trumpet

+ (I can't think of anything.)

- 3rd parts suck.

Well, there is ONE "+", it is in the same key as the clarinet, so a C sounds like a C, sounds like a concert Bb. Before anyone argues that the same applies to baritone, sorry but it doesn't. C on baritone (bass clef - where REAL baritone music is written) sounds like clarinet D down an octave, sounds like concert C.

Oh, I just remembered a second trumpet "+" - it reads treble clef. And that "-" (3rd parts suck)? That's the arranger's fault.

Thank you so much. I have narrowed my decision down to either mellophone or baritone. My band director is going to let me try them out to see which I like best. I'm really exited :)

Suggestion - don't limit your trial to 5 minutes. Take the horn(s) home and play it or them over a weekend. After a few days, you'll have a definite preference. Good luck to you.

I switched to baritone for Capital Regiment from previously playing snare. Baritone isn't all that hard to pick up (we had three percussionists, two woodwinds, and a couple of other non baritone/trombone players playing baritone this summer) but this has been covered above. Just get ready for working out your arms like never before. Baritone and Euphonium (especially Dynasty horns) are the more exhausting instruments to march in a drum corps because of the weight you are holding up in front of you.

Marching baritone for corps was the best thing I have done so far and it wasn't that hard to pick up at all. Just work your arms and you'll be fine!

Hi, I am a sophmore in high school and I absolutely love marching band. My dream is to join a drum corps and I am willing to work as hard as I can to achieve my goal. I learned how to play the clarinet for marching band (I got some bad advice). I want to switch to a brass instrument so I can begin learning as soon as possible and increase my chances of making it into a corps, the only problem is I have no idea what instrument to choose. Can anyone give me some advice on the matter?

Check out episode 23 of the mellocast (mellocast.com). It addresses switching to mello from a woodwind instrument.

I took the plunge into mello from saxophone back in '82.

Best of luck with the transition. It's not as hard as you think and not worrying about a bad reed is a tremendously great thing!!