Bill Stone - Canada

Anyone know what he is doing these days? He wrote our drill in 1976 and worked hard on our marching during the winter. He was fun to be around and wrote some nice drill too.

I should add that he was from the Toronta area and came down with Ted Key and some girl who worked with our rifle line as well.

Anyone know what he is doing these days? He wrote our drill in 1976 and worked hard on our marching during the winter. He was fun to be around and wrote some nice drill too.

Keith. I've looked through my stuff again but only have 1 program photo of Royal Coachmen which I sent you last year.

I found my 1974 daily reminder a few weeks ago. In it, it says I quit marching after our Nationals at CNE stadium September 2, 1974. I started classes at university in Kitchener-Waterloo on September 9, 1974. Tuesday September 17, 1974 was my first rehearsal with Ventures winter guard program. Rehearsals were every Tuesday until November, then Tues. and Saturday full day rehearsals. On October 15, 1974 we sold Ventures buttons at Oktoberfest.

That winter I taught Seneca Princemen guard once a month as a consultant along with 2 other guards. I moved back to Toronto May 1975 and was asked if I could help out as DM. Dawn and I took turns being DM. I found our 1975 summer schedule. June was local contests and in July we went to Wisconsin - West Bend, Columbus, Manitowac, East Troy, then Ontario - Sarnia, Toronto, Kitchener. In August we went to Cleveland Ohio, Butler PA, Marion Ohio and on August 11 and 12th we were in North Tonawanda before heading off to Philadelphia PA (which was a great contest imo). After Nationals in Waterloo August 30, 1975 and a parade in Kitchener the next day, I quit marching again (or so I thought), went back to university and taught Dutch Boy Cadets.

We had lots of instructors over the years and I vaguely remember Ted. Keith, the following is what you wrote on RAMD in 2003 ;-)

"What a good corps they had that year! Ted Key and Bob Stone came down to do

our corps (Royal Coachmen - NY) in 1976 and we improved so much!"

Ted Key can be reached at:

edwardkey@rogers.com

When drum corps in Canada became (shall we say) inactive many years ago, Ted and a bunch of other Toronto drum corps alumni from Southern Ontario started up DCAT - Drum Corps Alumni - Toronto.

Back in 1994 a bunch of us in Toronto heard about a G.A.S. convention being sponsored by the Preston Scout House Alumni Band in Canbridge Ontario and dropped in to see what it was all about. We had so much we decided we just had to get in on this annual convention and celebration. Because we figured we were too old to march we becane a Chorus.

Ted was our music director for the first ten or eleven years before he retired and many of the songs we sing were written by him.

The DCAT Chorus is now under the direction of Wyatt Gill, an alumnus of the Ditch Boy Drum Corps - Canada's last DCI finalist. DCAT has definitely retained its "drum corps roots" but welcomes anyone who loves music, good fun, and good fellowship.

Check us out:

www.dcatchorus.ca

I made a mistake....it was Bob Stone! I was talking to a colleague this morning at the time I was doing this post and his name is Bill.