Scouts Q&A on the Recent Changes

Mad75

To elmhurstmusiced as I said to Vince these issues are fairly universal and the idea of discussing these away from DCP seems needlessly secretive. We are a brotherhood, not a secret order. The comments I have read so far are respectful and fair.

I am not part of the brotherhood, but agree with you that there hasn't been anything out of line by any Scouts alumni here. respectful and fair, as you say.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All my point was that I believe that if we have issues with something, this doesn't need to be the place for voicing that, IMHO.

Didn't mean to offend.

based on reading my copy of the bylaws I do not think I misunderstand the ability the meeting has on this type of decision and I know the amount of calls I have reciewed I think it will be a lot of interesting discussion

I like your passion.....I think this is a good sign that maybe we'll get more then 10 people to show up at the MDBCA annual meeting. Maybe there's a silver lining in all these exciting changes that will reinvigorate our 70+ year base?

I'll see you their!

All my point was that I believe that if we have issues with something, this doesn't need to be the place for voicing that, IMHO.

Didn't mean to offend.

I do understand your viewpoint, but short of going to a board meeting, this is all the opportunity most alumni will get to opine. Madison's own forum has never been used for these purposes and as I understand is so underutilized Komnick is planning on shutting it down.

I like your passion.....I think this is a good sign that maybe we'll get more then 10 people to show up at the MDBCA annual meeting. Maybe there's a silver lining in all these exciting changes that will reinvigorate our 70+ year base?

I'll see you their!

Correct me if I'm wrong Jerry, the only rights alumni and interested persons are entitled to in the bylaws are for voting on seats on the board. All other decisions regarding the running of the organization are made by executive staff without outside input.

Just a couple of things. All these changes are subject to approval at the annual meeting, not a given, trust me. I also hope all the young performs mentioned by a previous poster will get the benefit of being a member when try out occur....

The Annual Meeting of all members who show up approve Staff Changes? I would hope that not to be true. That would be a ridiculous policy.

Correct me if I'm wrong Jerry, the only rights alumni and interested persons are entitled to in the bylaws are for voting on seats on the board. All other decisions regarding the running of the organization are made by executive staff without outside input.

Hey Dan,

Well, I've been off the Board for a few years, so I cant speak to any changes that might have occurred since. But yes, in the past, one could enter questions regarding issues or concerns at the annual meeting, otherwise, an association member only has the ability to vote upon open seats/positions. We (alumni) are not directly involved in the day-to-day operations (for good reason!......anything with more then "one head" is referred to as a multi headed monster!). We can show up at Board meetings and express our views (which is encouraged!). But yes, MDBCA is a Board run organization which operates via parliamentary rules and bylaws.

Hope that helps.

When did Komnick come on board? It appears it hasn't been in the offseason. Did he hire the previous staff?

Here's guessing Jim Mason will make this Komnick guy look like a genius. Or incredibly lucky. And I guess it doesn't matter, because as fans we'll reap the benefits of seeing a stout corps from Madison.

I believe that Chris went on the BOD in 2006 and then took over as ED in 2008.

Ramiro and the James Logan crew were hired in 2008. I would assume CK was involved in that decision. It was a good move. The 2008 show was vastly better than 2007, and they didn't have to spend half the season re-writing the drill.

Based on 2008, re-hiring Ramiro et al for 2009 was also a sound decision. It just turns out they came up with a clunker of a show concept. It happens to the best.

based on reading my copy of the bylaws I do not think I misunderstand the ability the meeting has on this type of decision and I know the amount of calls I have reciewed I think it will be a lot of interesting discussion

I think it would be wonderful if a large group of Scouts alumni and fans attend the MDBCA meeting. I only hope, as they come armed with bylaws and opinions, that they also come armed with generous checks to support the organization.

Vic Russell

If you read all of my comments youll see I pretty much squarely straddle the fence Vince. Frankly the issues brought about by these changes are going to be the same regardless of the corps in question. But you reply begs a question do the advantages of rehearsal facilties trump everything? Like actually having a tie and presence in the community?

For winter camps, I think you go with the best option in terms of transportation and facilities. In the past, there has even been talk of having some camps in TX. It really is much like Spring Training in MLB.

The truth is that "Madison" has not been a regional corps since the early 70s. In fact, they were one of the first to de-regionalize. Even in the mid-70s, I'd guess that only about 30% of the corps was from the Madison area. There was always a large contingent from the South, a few guys who marched Sr corps, plus a slew of guys from less competitive corps who wanted to have the Madison Experience before they aged out. Scouts were among the first to have international members not only from Canada but Japan and Europe too.

Their identity derives more from BSA than from the city, which, other than being the State Capitol and having the largest UW campus, really has no distinguising characteristics or culture.

It's not like Madison is giving them 130K per year. In fact, I think the city has actively tried to drive the corps away. Which is why they moved the corps office outside the city for a while. The executive director doesn't even live in Madison.

Having the corps office and most of the BOD from the Madison area, and keeping the home show in Madison, as well as a few other performances, is, IMO, plenty of "regional" identity.