2009 broadcast

Hello,

Anyone know if the DCI finals will be broadcast?

Can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still on ESPN to do it. I don't think it's going to happen. They didn't do one last year, and this is the last year of the ESPN Contract.

It's still on ESPN to do it. I don't think it's going to happen. They didn't do one last year, and this is the last year of the ESPN Contract.

So DCI is on the hook for ESPN to do it if it happens?

Wonder if they will try another outlet after the contract ends.

My understanding is that even though DCI has a contract with ESPN for broadcast rights, DCI is responsible for fronting the money for the programming time. Given the current financial climate, DCI decided not to pursue the broadcast last year and this year, choosing not to spend the money they'd have to provide to have the finals telecast shown. Becuase it's an exclusive contract with ESPN, DCI can't seek another broadcast partner that would offer more favorable financial terms. So maybe next year, something with work out. At least that's the story I've seen elsewhere.

So DCI is on the hook for ESPN to do it if it happens?

Wonder if they will try another outlet after the contract ends.

Hopefully they'll go back to PBS. (never thought I'd say that).

DCI has chosen to save money and not have the broadcast for the last two years of their contract with ESPN. It just cost too much money and it did not bring in any money for them. Maybe next season since the contract was up through 2009. But there will be no broadcast this year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe DCI used the HD cameras that the stadium provides to record this years world championships.

I do know that it was filmed it HD... but the chance at an HD release of world championships is slim for this season.