Quiet announcement

42, Texas' premier Arena Drum and Bugle Corps, is now accepting applications for the following Staff positions for the 2010 Season :

• Brass Coordinator

• Percussion Coordinator

• Visual Coordinator

• Brass Arranger

• Percussion Arranger

All positions are voluntary and compensation is our undying gratitude, the rare opportunity to influence the style and direction of a new performance ensemble and to be part of the development of a new form of the art of Drum Corps. To apply, or to get more information, please send email to Director@42corps.org.

42 is a Direct Project of the Frontier Performing Arts Association, a 501©(3) organization, located in Dallas / Fort Worth, Texas.

Edited by brucej

So just to be clear you are asking people to APPLY for unpaid positions in an unfielded drum corps in a circuit that does not exist and has no other participants?

I have to admit I admire your bravery and fortitude...good luck.

So just to be clear you are asking people to APPLY for unpaid positions in an unfielded drum corps in a circuit that does not exist and has no other participants?

Thanks! We'll take that as a compliment and we like compliments.

I tossed the wording around on that for some time but I came to the eventual conclusion that apply is the correct word. True, we have a new program we're putting together out here and so we cannot say that it's a thriving organization but it does have to start somewhere, true? By applying for these positions, even though they have no monetary compensation, we hope to get folks that are dedicated to making something new happen. If we could get Wayne Downey or Murray Gusseck to offer their services, things would be handled a bit differently but we have to hope to get a Wayne Downey or a Murray Gusseck perhaps at the beginning of their careers, willing to do some work in a new(ish) medium and help build a resume. Since it's standard practice to take applications for employment, paid or unpaid, I chose to follow that. I can hope it works and we get quality people but we can't find them unless we have resumes and choices. Luck will be good to have and I appreciate the wish; I think we'll find some diamonds out there.

The circuit does not exist yet but we have put out the word. There have been some inquiries and that's good. It's early in the year and our season will not likely overlap that of DCA so we should be able to avoid a conflict there that would prevent groups from considering performing. SDCA is hainvg their annual meeting this coming weekend and I will be attending that with the intention of getting all the information I can handle and posting it to our website. Looking forward to it. Again, DCA itself was just an idea at one point and look where it is now.

You know, we'd be more than glad to have a group like the Renegades send an indoor group out to Texas for a show or two...

Edited by brucej

Well....

1. You have to start somewhere.

2. Getting people who are interested to send a resume will weed out most of those who are only half-serious.

3. Try volunteering for most organizations without having to complete a form and provide some references.

Not everyone is lucky enough to be in a locale that has good people popping up like weeds.

Ask Nash or Munson how Renegades got their first charts.

Edited by G-horns

Best wishes " 42 " and good luck Texas is a big state and there lots of young musicians out there that this kind of thing

might be right up their alley no pay is tough but most organizations just starting up will do a pass the hat kind of thing ,

you can have spagetti diners which are dirt cheap or put on bake sales and car washes so you can pay the staff something

for their time and efforts .

Edited by rudi man

Good ideas (pass the hat sort of thing or a dedicated fundraiser) and ones that we'll talk about at the next board meeting. (The IRS and its rules make this thing more difficult that it should ever have to be.) I'd like to be able to pay volunteers just as a matter of principle - they put in real work and deserve payment for their efforts, plus the members deserve the most professional staff that can be provided (otherwise why pay to be in an organization at all?).

I will have to contact the named Renegades and ask them.

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas!

Edited by brucej

I don't speak for the Renegades of course, but I can see why you might turn to them for inspiration. That being said the on major difference was that they were starting up in an activity that was established and had been established for years, admittedly there were few competitors on the West Coast.

You certainly have an uphill battle in a tough economy and when drum corps as a whole is contracting not expanding. While the Renegades leadership might be interested in fielding in an indoor corps I cannot say for sure because I am not a member of the board. However, with two trips two New York already on the table, plus a mini-corps in the making I would be hard pressed to assume the Gades are planning on making a foray into indoor corps.

Here is the thing to ultimately be successful I am thinking you are going to have to do some outside performances in order to attract attention to your organization and recruit people. In other words you are going to have to piggyback off where the crowds are. I am just suggesting wouldn't it be more prudent to establish a successful outdoor organization and piggyback off that success to take it indoors?

While there is a lot of talent down in Texas there is a limited amount of resources. So while it is true "You have top start somewhere" you also have to be realistic about the chances for success. Now the odds of a start-up corps lasting beyond three years are small enough, but you are throwing a start-up circuit AND for that matter a start-up activity into the mess. I don't even want to venture how low the odds of success have dropped to with all three in the mix. I am concerned that people will be throwing resources at this, and with resources being limited take away from other organizations. IMHO the whole the idea may be sound however the let's throw it all out there and see what sticks approach to this new corps/activity/circuit might not be the right approach.

(The IRS and its rules make this thing more difficult that it should ever have to be.) I'd like to be able to pay volunteers just as a matter of principle - they put in real work and deserve payment for their efforts, plus the members deserve the most professional staff that can be provided (otherwise why pay to be in an organization at all?).

Bruce, I guess I just don't understand your comment about the IRS and 501 status. While you have to jump through the hoops, in reality, doing things totally legally becomes a HUGE asset - especially when you're seeking community support as a non profit organization. It also affords the organizers considerable protection from the unfortunate legalities of life in the 2000's.

Yes, there are traps and pitfalls to fall into, but in the drum corps activity, we have learned (unfortunately very often by trial and error) how to work with the system and make it work for you. If you have 501 questions - and it sounds like you do since 501 status certainly does NOT preclude you from paying staff - I always answer emails and have been led to believe I know a bit about the subject. :laughing:

tpeashey@rochester.rr.com

(The IRS and its rules make this thing more difficult that it should ever have to be.) I'd like to be able to pay volunteers just as a matter of principle - they put in real work and deserve payment for their efforts, plus the members deserve the most professional staff that can be provided (otherwise why pay to be in an organization at all?).

Bruce, I guess I just don't understand your comment about the IRS and 501 status. While you have to jump through the hoops, in reality, doing things totally legally becomes a HUGE asset - especially when you're seeking community support as a non profit organization. It also affords the organizers considerable protection from the unfortunate legalities of life in the 2000's.

Yes, there are traps and pitfalls to fall into, but in the drum corps activity, we have learned (unfortunately very often by trial and error) how to work with the system and make it work for you. If you have 501 questions - and it sounds like you do since 501 status certainly does NOT preclude you from paying staff - I always answer emails and have been led to believe I know a bit about the subject. :laughing:

tpeashey@rochester.rr.com

I think there's a misunderstanding. There is no question on paying of staff - we want to do it for sure, after all, these folks are providing their skills and time and deserve some compensation, the real question was how. We are not yet rolling in cash (what corps is?) and we have been tossing ideas around on just how we can do this and still remain legal in the eyes of the IRS. Especially given the limited income and tight budgets that this new ensemble will have to endure for a year or so. The IRS things I was referring to mainly concern fundraising by a non-profit (things like making sure that all the UBIT items are properly listed in the financials so that those items that do not qualify for tax-exempt income are properly managed and so on) do go a along way to making it more difficult. I would prefer a "donate money and let us decide how to spend it" model but we don't have that available to us. FPAA, in offering Fiscal Sponsorships, is very aware of the need to make sure that all financial dealings are handled correctly. We aren't concerned with proper accounting methods or following the gordian knot of regulations - we do that as a matter of course. We are firm believers in doing it the right way the first time.

In any event, we would like to offer some compensation to staff and we are open to ways to do this legally and without burdening our members with large dues and stifling fundraising participation. We'd love some corporation to dump a huge pile of cash on our doorstep (one time only please - we don't want to have to become a Foundation they have vastly different rules) but I can't see that happening right now.

Taters -

As far as the Renegades go, they are a bit of an inspiration - 7 people built a viable program from whole cloth and have kept it alive and entertaining for more than a few years now. It's not our model but it's close. Texas, while huge in marching band and has had a history of successful Drum Corps, that's not been the case in the modern era. The are probably reasons why that make sense, but, as Frontier had experienced, recruiting is tough, retention tougher. I'd love to do a 150 member corps but I don't see that happening in the near future. Logistically, it's not feasible.

The invite to drop in and perform is open, though, even though it was never thought likely, given the tour schedule and costs. It would be cool, though, to see what they could do within the constraints of the indoor venue. I'm sure it would not disappoint.

I'm thinking that you may not have visited the 42 website yet. We have plans (and a couple of offers out of the blocks) to perform at corporate functions as well as functions involving museums, some parades and as many civic functions as possible. I agree that being out in the air is a good way to get the name public - much better than a full page ad in print or a 15 second sound bite.

It's something we have kept in mind, true - that it may take more than a year to get a circuit up and going. That's fine. We want to get the group established and the members satisfied and enjoying themselves first and foremost. Money is tight, true, and so is our budget. We have no plans on traveling farther than 5 hours one-way (that gives us Houston, Louisiana and Oklahoma easily) by car and production costs for an indoor show are a small fraction of even a 4 corps DCA show (we won't even mention DCI).

As far as doing an outdoor, summer competitive show goes, to quote someone "it's too **** hot." We don't want to have to deal with that if we can avoid it.

Please don't misunderstand - I do appreciate all the advice given and even the advice not yet given. I've personally seen the mistakes made here in FPAA and seen what could have and should have been done differently. I may not have all the answers but I, and FPAA, is learning from the lessons learned and the collected wisdom of all the people who've been down this very road. I'm hoping that the community here in DCP will always feel free to give 42 criticisms, advice and anything else.

Thank you