Rookie Drum Majors?

As a rookie DM, of a World Class corps two years ago that landed itself back in finals, its what you make of it. Realize coming in the staff will have incredibly HIGH expectations of you and your veteran members' will be even HIGHER. Your learning curve is about all of the hour after the announcement, and then it wears off and you have work to do. I remember being put to work, the morning after we were informed at camp.

Always remember, that for that first year, regardless of how much automatic tenure the corps director may grant you, you are still the new guy. Be willing to learn from the vets especially with regard to the corps traditions. Lean on their understanding, because it is vastly greater than yours. Especially with regard to the corps and the activity if you are new to the activity like I was. It's ok to ask questions, but you definitely can't come in and run the corps. It will take time to build a relationship with your vets that allows you to lead (and if you have done your job, that should be done before move-ins).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but everyone's a rookie so you won't have a rookie DM telling 3,4,& 5 yr vets what to do.

Yea, I was trying to make a small joke, it didn't really come out though...