Indoor Brass - The Next Sport of the Arts

Drummeric

I don't think anyone's saying "It won't work." But everyone always poses this question as though they're amazed that the whole thing doesn't spring up fully-formed out of the ground on the level of WGI drumline and guard competitions. There's a lot of reasons why it hasn't caught on, but the most obvious is: there aren't a lot of groups around yet. If folks get them going, more power to them if they create a new avenue for performance.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should work. I'm just not sure if it should be a winter thing. Come Christmas, I'm thinking Tuba Christmas and other family issues that keep me tied up and money tight. If you work retail, do you think that you're employer is going to give you a day off between T-day and X-mas? Could it be cheaper, sure. But it could also cost more if you've got to drive 1,200 miles for every competition. Not that that differs much from how the big boys currently do business. There's a lot more going against than for such a thing. Otherwise it would already exist to a greater degree. Look at the bright side, no evaluations, no entrance fees, and there might just be a show within 700 miles of you.

It should work. I'm just not sure if it should be a winter thing. Come Christmas, I'm thinking Tuba Christmas and other family issues that keep me tied up and money tight. If you work retail, do you think that you're employer is going to give you a day off between T-day and X-mas? Could it be cheaper, sure. But it could also cost more if you've got to drive 1,200 miles for every competition. Not that that differs much from how the big boys currently do business. There's a lot more going against than for such a thing. Otherwise it would already exist to a greater degree. Look at the bright side, no evaluations, no entrance fees, and there might just be a show within 700 miles of you.

I'm thinking indoor Corps should take place from January to April. This would make it Winter/Spring. It's the Sleepy time for Senior Corps who tend to wake up around May or June.

I'm thinking indoor Corps should take place from January to April. This would make it Winter/Spring. It's the Sleepy time for Senior Corps who tend to wake up around May or June.

So ... for those interested, check out the three BHOF I&E shows coming up in Garfield, NJ (Feb 27 - Sky Alumni host), Boston, MA (Mar 20 - St. Kevin's host) and Apr 24 in Bridgeport, CT (BHOF host) ... these are wonderful competitive, fraternal and social events ...

Check out BHOF Website for details ...

Andy "Your cordial BHOF I&E MC" Lisko

I think they're talking more about some sort of brass-only deal, though, in the vein of winter drumline, rather than indoor corps.

As he said, SDCA is doing this very thing. You can take a brass-only group to an SDCA show. A host could have a show entirely for brass-only groups or all drumlines or all winter guards...or any mix of the above.

January to April would be better. But that's also winter guard season, so if you're planning on growing out of indoor brass and into a full field corps, you have that division of corps issue to overcome to make that transition. Again, it could work. But a) can you exist to start with and b) can you stand to be the only kid in the sand box for several YEARS before another kid comes along to play in the same sandbox? For those of us in regions where it's 100+ miles between cities and 500+ miles or more between corps.

January to April would be better. But that's also winter guard season, so if you're planning on growing out of indoor brass and into a full field corps, you have that division of corps issue to overcome to make that transition. Again, it could work. But a) can you exist to start with and b) can you stand to be the only kid in the sand box for several YEARS before another kid comes along to play in the same sandbox? For those of us in regions where it's 100+ miles between cities and 500+ miles or more between corps.

The sandbox is getting a little more manageable in the center of the Country. Prairie Sound, The Commanders and Vigilantes are teaming up for the Tulsa Veterans Day Parade and hopefully for more events in each of the 3 of Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. I know we will be welcoming more corps to join our effort in "flyover country". Midwest Drum Corps Alliance anyone?