Colts announce a new brass caption head

Maybe I missed something. I seem to remember writing checks for thousands of dollars for my kid to take part in this activity. If your kid(or stepkid)

is concerned about the direction of the corps & says he wants to audition for another corps....what are you going to say?

SPIRIT is (or was) located near JSU which has a band of 400 members. Many of them have marched DCI. I have been to Spirit practices

and seen kids wearing many different corps jackets. They clapped just like everyone else. Why alienate former members at a time where

corps need alums for support.

You complain about using corps as stepping stones. How many years is the average kid able to march? How many years do you feel

a kid owes a corps? Is it wrong for a kid to audition for his dream corps after marching somewhere else?

I agree that Ray V. was a great instructor(he marched SCV and Phantom), as was Chip C.(he marched Phantom & Blue Devils).

They both moved on for some reason. Why did you have a problem with these kids?

I don't have a problem with kids deciding to march elsewhere for whatever reason. It's just that when they come back to a SPIRIT rehearsal wearing the jacket of their NEW CORPS (and on a day when it was shirt-sleeve weather and not cold enough to make a jacket of any kind necessary), then that looks like a slap in the face to those members who are still at Spirit. If they had come to rehearsal wearing some non-descript clothing, or old Spirit clothing, I don't think anyone would have had a problem with them being there, but they didn't. They wore their new jackets to draw attention to the fact that they had made a top corps. Well guess what? Those members still at Spirit didn't particularly care to congratulate them on their move "up." I don't see why it's so difficult to understand why they were asked to leave.

If my kid (or stepkid) decides to march elsewhere (which is a real possibility) I will support him wherever he marches, but I also hope he would have enough class not to show up at a Spirit rehearsal wearing the jacket of his new corps. And if I found out that he had done so, we would be having a discussion about class and respect, rather than me trying to defend his "right" to wear whatever he wants to his old corps' rehearsal. Maybe having been a marching member myself and having stuck through the corps through thick and thin for more than 30 years gives me a unique perspective, I dunno.

You're right, DCIdad, Spirit does need the support of alums, but they also need to reverse the mindset that Spirit is just a place to march a year or two until you're good enough, or can afford to go to a higher-ranking corps, for whatever reason. As long as current members are happy when one among their ranks moves up to a contender, they'll never get out of that rut.

But this thread isn't about Spirit or current or former Spirit members or their dads, it's about the Colts naming a new brass caption head.

Congratulations, Colts, on getting an outstanding teacher, mentor and all-around great guy!

Edited by oldsoprano

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Ray V. was a great instructor(he marched SCV and Phantom), as was Chip C.(he marched Phantom & Blue Devils).

They both moved on for some reason. Why did you have a problem with these kids?

Ray marched SCV? When?

He didn't.

I agree that Ray V. is great with the kids. He is an amazing teacher & performer. I personally have enjoyed the Colts shows over the last few years. This addition can only make them better. Best of luck to the Colts and to Ray on his new position. My kid tells me he is a better musician because of the

Ray's instruction.

I didn't bring up the discussion about what happened at that Spirit camp. I just commented on what was said before. Many of those vets left that year because as of the 1st camp there was still no brass caption head announced. Also, after marching for a corps three years I think you have the right to make

your own decision. My kid still has friends in Spirit. Adults seemed to be the ones with the problem. I seem to recall reading a letter on Spirit's site from

management apologizing for what happened that day and saying that all former members and supporters were welcome at rehearsals.

Many members wear their corps jacket with no regard to the weather. Mine wears his everywhere. He will continue to wear it proudly wherever he goes as he did his Spirit jacket.

Good luck to The Colts this summer!

Good luck to Spirit this summer!

Can't wait to hear both productions.

DCIdad

I didn't bring up the discussion about what happened at that Spirit camp. I just commented on what was said before. Many of those vets left that year because as of the 1st camp there was still no brass caption head announced. Also, after marching for a corps three years I think you have the right to make

your own decision. My kid still has friends in Spirit. Adults seemed to be the ones with the problem. I seem to recall reading a letter on Spirit's site from

management apologizing for what happened that day and saying that all former members and supporters were welcome at rehearsals.

Many members wear their corps jacket with no regard to the weather. Mine wears his everywhere. He will continue to wear it proudly wherever he goes as he did his Spirit jacket.

DCIdad

You have to march three years before given the chance to make a decision?

And Adults have the problem but so do the kids. Yeah kids are still "friends" when one leaves the corps, but its a little different sometimes..you kind of have to avoid talking about drum corps or its awkward when you start talking about "you guys" and "us" and good or bad.

The brass heads were announced at the camp we are talking about actually...the year the kids got kicked out was the winter camps of 2009.

And I dont believe he was saying it was bad to leave a corps, as much as, its bad to leave a corps AND THEN come back to your audition camps with jackets on "just to observe."

If I go to High School "A" for 3 years and dont place well in sports, then transfer to High School "B" for my last year to do better in sports, Yeah its ok for that to happen, but I shouldnt be walking around High School "A"s practices and stuff with my Letterman jacket from High School "B"

There should be nothing wrong with coming back to see watch your friends practice. I remember people coming by in other corps jackets when I was at Spirit and it never bothered me. If they were my friend at Spirit, they were still my friend if they went somewhere else to march. And if they wore their corps jacket when they came to watch, no biggie. I was just happy to see my friend again.

Edited by Drumcorpsfan471

My child left Spirit for another corps after 4 years (and 3 years before that with a different corps). Reasons were many, but chasing a ring or better placement were not one of the reasons. When he met up with Spirit he always supported and cheered them on. Unfortunately, the reverse wasn't always true, he often received the cold shoulder from current members and alumni ( the corps were not in close competition). No, he did not go rehearsals except one camp when he still hadn't made a final decision, and was there as a possible returning member. He also talked to the staff(Ray) even before he tried out for the other corps and went to auditions with his blessing. I have seen many classy acts by Spirit members and alumni, I also have seen many acts that were not classy, but in my time around Spirit, they were never very accepting of people who left, be it staff, members, or volunteers. I also still volunteered for Spirit at the Atlanta show, and personally received the cold shoulder from people I had worked beside for 4 years and considered my friends. My family still cheers for Spirit and will always support them, but my feelings for them have been changed due to the actions of some of the Administrators, Alumni, and members of last years corps. By contrast, at my son's new corp, he never took off his delta's, (and still hasn't) and that decision was not an issue with his corps mates, staff, or administration.

But to get back on track of the thread, Ray is a great teacher, and any corps would be happy to have him on staff. I look forward to hearing the Colts hornline this summer.