Facilities

But "Drum Corps is Evil" ain't gonna fly there.

LOL...the minute I saw this I thought there is no way You are gonna get the Gades to rehearse in , at , or around a church ...oh wait maybe we should see if the Westboro Baptist Church has any available facilities! :rolleyes:

If there are any Boys Club/Girls Club/YMCA/Scout camps within shouting distance, you may want to see if you can use their facilities-during the off-season, they are generally deserted and usually lots of fields and open space that could be useful for drill. The locations also usually negate the "neighbor" impact, as they tend to be located away from residential areas. Another option is to see if a large employer in the area will allow you to use part of their parking lot(s), again lots of open space and normally practice times would probably not interfere with their needs. The only drawback that I have encountered in the past with VFW/AL facilities, is that there is no area with ceilings high enough to take care of color guard needs-usually you need someplace that has a gymnasium available-again, Boys Club/Girls Club/YMCA but they would probably be reluctant to close off their gyms during prime useage periods. At one time, our alumni corps made an arrangement with a local college to provide a "pep band" and halftime show for their home football games in exchange for using their facilities for rehearsal and use of the football stadium to host a DCI show. The drawback to that, is that after the novelty wore off, we had a hard time trying to get members to give up their Saturday afternoons-even though "everyone" was in favor of it when the initial proposal was discussed.

If there are any Boys Club/Girls Club/YMCA/Scout camps within shouting distance, you may want to see if you can use their facilities-during the off-season, they are generally deserted and usually lots of fields and open space that could be useful for drill. The locations also usually negate the "neighbor" impact, as they tend to be located away from residential areas. Another option is to see if a large employer in the area will allow you to use part of their parking lot(s), again lots of open space and normally practice times would probably not interfere with their needs. The only drawback that I have encountered in the past with VFW/AL facilities, is that there is no area with ceilings high enough to take care of color guard needs-usually you need someplace that has a gymnasium available-again, Boys Club/Girls Club/YMCA but they would probably be reluctant to close off their gyms during prime useage periods. At one time, our alumni corps made an arrangement with a local college to provide a "pep band" and halftime show for their home football games in exchange for using their facilities for rehearsal and use of the football stadium to host a DCI show. The drawback to that, is that after the novelty wore off, we had a hard time trying to get members to give up their Saturday afternoons-even though "everyone" was in favor of it when the initial proposal was discussed.

When I first joined my corps, I got together with a bunch of my high school drumline friends and met EXCELSIOR at a local park. All the park staff, politicians, and people at the park loved to sit around and watch us practice. Sadly, though, because we play g's (I know I am partial even though I am a drummer) and this is drum corps loud not marching band loud (around here anyway) the neighbors started to get upset. I dont know what your location is like there, but some parks are will to let you play there. Just a thought, good luck on finding a place. :rolleyes:

LOL...the minute I saw this I thought there is no way You are gonna get the Gades to rehearse in , at , or around a church ...oh wait maybe we should see if the Westboro Baptist Church has any available facilities! :rolleyes:

Nah, God hates drum corps, too, if you ask them.

Besides, the Westboro facilities are too small for a corps to use, even a small one--the yard isn't big enough for a field show.