Tampa Bay Thunder 2011

Thank you all so much. We have our hands full and will ask for help with any questions that come our way. We do have drum corps people consulting for us at this early stage. We only have one year to met our target date of 2011 on the field. A lot of work to be done and all of the comments that have come our way have been great.

Thank you.

C. Smith

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's great for DCA to have more corps but lets look at DCA corps in Florida. It was very hard to get members in Heat Wave out of a large area like Orlando. Sun Devils, thankfully have had some good fortunes since this past season and it seems that all is even better for this season.

It sounds like I am being negative, but knowing how hard it is to get enough members to field a corps in Florida....why not bring all your talents to one corps and be more successful? I remember being at Heat Wave rehearsals with 10 or 12 brass and it was sad to see that. I am not connected with Sun Devils right now but as I see it, one large corps from Florida would be more successful for Florida (DCA - wise) than two small corps. Right? Yes I know the Atlanta region has 2 corps, but you also had a very talented jr. corps in the area for many years and now they are returning.

Yes Rochester and Syracuse boast a few DCA corps.....think about how many former junior corps members there are in NY. Florida has two successful corps (Suncoast and Magic) who are now gone and one DCI corps representing the state (Teal Sound). Tampa Bay Thunder/Kiwanis were around for a short time, Magic came, went, came and went. Gasparilla? Never happened. There was another corps challenging Sun Devils that never materialized. Sooooo....

Why not have a chat with the Sun Devils and watch what can happen. Talking works out a lot. I remember two years ago talking with several people to help form Sun Devils and there they are today a DCA corps with a great future. think about it!

I understand but I wanted to toss in my 1 cent from my point of view. I agree with you and I hope they like Sun Devils are successful.

Keith, I think it's pretty obvious that the resurrecting the Thunder name and identity is a primary motivator for these folks and we should respect that.

They have different goals that being involved with Sun Devils will not meet, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Keith,

I did speak with the people wanting to bring the Thunder back as a DCA corps and suggested they visit the folks at the Sun Devils for many reasons but they have a very good plan and would like to go at it themselves. I don't think they share the same philosophy and I respect that. I have also been asked to consult and will do what I can to lend support.

I wish all drum corps in Florida much success!

JVN

It would be nice to have a choice just like in Upstate NY (Brigs, Statesmen, Crusaders, White Sabres, etc).

My best to y'all!

Keith,

I did speak with the people wanting to bring the Thunder back as a DCA corps and suggested they visit the folks at the Sun Devils for many reasons but they have a very good plan and would like to go at it themselves. I don't think they share the same philosophy and I respect that. I have also been asked to consult and will do what I can to lend support.

I wish all drum corps in Florida much success!

JVN

Mr. Hall -

We have made a decision to go our own route but look forward to working with all DCA corps from the South. We have a lot of work to do but we have some great support and people working with us.

Special thanks for Jim for all his support thus far.

C. Smith

That's Great news! I wish all Florida corps the best......Show DCA how much talent is in Florida!

Mr. Hall -

We have made a decision to go our own route but look forward to working with all DCA corps from the South. We have a lot of work to do but we have some great support and people working with us.

Special thanks for Jim for all his support thus far.

C. Smith

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Great organizational meeting this past weekend in Tampa with some dedicated people to support this effort.

Check List: Accountant - On the Board

Lawyer - On the Board

Bank VP - On the Board

Two Business Onwers - On the Board

501 © 3 Paperwork being completed for January 4, 2010

Seed Money obtained for start-up - In hand

Next step: Complete paperwork, complete board, Contact DCA, website up and running by Feb 1, 2010!!!

HERE WE GO!!!!

CS