Benefit Concert for Honor Flight of Rochester

I am going to hype it at St Joes optional practice tonight where I have promised to be kind and patient to all of my adult students.

DA

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to hype it at St Joes optional practice tonight where I have promised to be kind and patient to all of my adult students.

DA

I had a friend give me a great reason to come to this event... "Of course I'm coming... It's 6 degrees outside ... I NEED to hear some drum corps!"

And... get there a little early (7:20-ish), we're going to show WROC-TV's Meghan Backus' award winning documentary on the first Rochester Honor Flight. Meghan will then MC the first half of the show.

I am home with a bad case of the Flue. I looked forward to this for months.

Mike video it for me. I wanted to see the enlarged Prime time!

Benefit Concert for Honor Flight Rochester

Featuring Prime Time Brass and the Aquinas Institute Jazz Ensemble.

Saturday January 30, 2010 7:30pm

at

Aquinas Institute, Rochester, NY

Tickets will be available at all Wegmans Food Stores -$6.00, $7.00 at the door on the night of the performance.

We are also honored to announce a special performance by the nationally renowned Ghost Riders Mini Corps.

Many other speakers, presentations, and special guests are lining up, and more announcements will be coming over the next few weeks.

Honor Flight is a national project with an important mission: To fly WWII vets to Washington DC to visit THEIR monuments.

Honor Flight Rochester is one of only a few dozen "hubs" nationwide wide with a waiting list that is just too long. Often WWII vets are moved up on the list on recommendation of their doctors and hospice caretakers. The Honor Flight national battle cry is: It's not just important, it's urgent!

It costs approximately $500 to send one vet on the trip, and Prime Time Brass is calling on all our fans, colleagues, supporters, and anyone who loves powerhouse big band with a little drum corps sizzle to come out in force for this important cause.

As earlier announced the Prime Time Brass is heading to the New Orleans Mardi Gras for seven gigs in seven days. This event will be one of the group's final local performances, and the full line up of "Prime Time Players" will be on hand from NY, PA, MD, and Canada.

There is still more info to come.... please visit the Prime Time Brass Honor Flight page for updates.

Wow! Thank you! ... too many thanks to go around... the important thing is that at least 10 WWII vets will get to go visit THEIR monuments in Washington.

St Joes was well represented! thats for sure. Thanks Tom, that was a fun time for a good cause, and I got to work out those Ghost Riders in the black box for awhile, and even test drove a new piece. Off to church now!

Donny

They got GREAT coverage on the local news last night... was the biggest story of the night... lots of video... said they raised $5400+ - of course I hit it lucky and was watching the news on the channel being hosted by an "anchorette" who had MC'd the event... Nice crowd - a lot of familiar faces got some TV Time... lol

Sorry I couldn't be there - just completing my "house confinement"...

On behalf of PrimeTime Brass we would like to thank everyone that attended. It was no doubt our finest moment in PTB's history.

$5400 was raised for The WWII vets and we couldn't be happier for them. There's no better feeling then having them come to you and thank you for the show, and it was for THEM!

Also I would like to Thank The Ghost Riders for coming as well...you guys were awsome and added so much to the show...Thanks Donny!!!!

Same time next year boys and girls!

Great Job,Tom! :devil:

Wonderful cause and it was very entertaining night from the Aquinas High School Jazz Ensemble, PrimeTime Brass and the Ghost Riders! :smile:

The Aquinas Jazz ensemble were very good with an excellent sax solo in "Misty" by Jake Wark and Ms. Karen Labella as a vocalist for "Almost Like Being in Love" and "America the Beautiful" with her son playing Bass the whole night!

Very Entertaining playing the Jazz styles of the 40s! Great music for the vets in attendance!

Primetime Brass.........what can you say?......one word.......WOW!!! :smile: They were loaded for bear with their entire contingent playing their entire book as well as a few new pieces they will be playing for their trip to New Orleans for Mardi Gras with 7 parades in 7 days!! :smile::devil: !

They had Mr Jeff G from Erie playing with a numerous amount of cracked ribs :smile: along with Mark Kelly in fine New Orleans sounding solos during the New Orleans style songs called "Hangin' Out with the Band" by Leroy Jones and "Do Watcha Wanna" by Rebirth Brass Band and just all wailed on them along with one of the finest trumpet lines I have heard in alonnnngggg time! :smile:

Scott Meeson(sp?) in from Baltimore laying down some stratosphere notes was just a tad of the talent they had on stage! Even "Disco Bob" was on his game! Also a very talented lower Brass section was on note with Nick Finzer on TBone laying down some SMOKING solos! :huh:

Congrats to Chris Castellon,Mike Spuck,Lance Rightmeyer,Danny "Mo" and everyone else for taking PrimeTime Brass to the next level of entertainment and who can forget Billy McGrath Jr. for doing double duty for PTB and Ghost Riders on Percussion??

Just Awesome! :music: great tribute for our Veterans from WWII and beyond!!!

Ghost Riders came out after intermission and performed in a symphonic style playing "American Elegy", "Red Pony" by Aaron Copeland along with their newly introduced beautiful sounding piece that was not on the program and for lack of my hearing, I only heard it introduced as a "Hymn" just being introduced for the 2010 season of competition! Maybe Don Allen can clarify that for me! It was beautiful and only introduced a couple of weeks ago at rehearsals yet already mastered very well in performance by a group of talented players! :smile:

They continued in closing out with the"Ghost Rider suite" by Don Allen which was well done and made you think you were in the Old West during the days of western lore! Of course, they closed out their section of the program with "Happy Trails" that was very well received by the audience! Good Job, Ghost! :worthy:

After a presentation of the nights proceeds of $5400 dollars to Mr. Vince Hope, Honor Flight Rochester President,

PrimeTime Brass returned to the stage for a stirring rendition of "This is my Country", "Armed Forces Medley" , which included the audience vets standing during their branches themes being played from the Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force! The pride and pumping of their fists showed what it meant to them to be honored by such magnitude and sent chills down your back in appreciation for their service and the fine sounds coming from the stage!

Huge Kudos goes out to Tom Allen and anyone else who was responsible for putting this fine night of entertainment together as well as raising funds for such a worthy cause and implore all to give to Honor Flight in your respective cities across America to honor these WWII era Vets who deserve our thanks and admiration for a Job well done!!

As stated by Tom in one of the nights presentations, this is the 1ST ANNUAL fundraiser for this great project and hope to be able to attend this great event next year! :drool:

You are very welcome and I will pass along your thanks to the "troops". It was great to see all of the lead trumpet players up there with you guys and PTB sounded great. It gave Ghost Riders a chance to get out earlier than usual and even try out some new music.

Thanks and kudos to Tom and Sandy (she's the brains of the outfit) Allen, Jim Ferris (AQ band director for many years) and especially the short Italian guy with the moustache that told me that I really didnt have to mop the black box theatre as Tom told me. He was definitely on top of his game!

Show me another drum corps town like Rochester please...then ask why they have DCA here...

Donny

Edited by donnymusic

You are very welcome and I will pass along your thanks to the "troops". It was great to see all of the lead trumpet players up there with you guys and PTB sounded great. It gave Ghost Riders a chance to get out earlier than usual and even try out some new music.

Thanks and kudos to Tom and Sandy (she's the brains of the outfit) Allen, Jim Ferris (AQ band director for many years) and especially the short Italian guy with the moustache that told me that I really didnt have to mop the black box theatre as Tom told me. He was definitely on top of his game!

Show me another drum corps town like Rochester please...then ask why they have DCA here...

Donny

Ditto Dat!!! (Naw arlens style!) LOL! :smile: