Drum Corps Show Instrument Score Library

Brad T.

Is there a such thing? I'm trying to track down the actual music scores to older drum corps shows. I'm not looking to make money off of them or any of those copyright infringing things, I'm just trying to use them as a resource to learn how chords and parts were written and voiced before the days of chromatic bugles and now any key marching brass. I'm looking for shows from the days of two valve/ P/R horns as well as the G-D bugle days and the G-D bugles with rotors for E, F, and F#.

Anyway, just wondering if there is a resource that keeps copies of these show scores available for people to view and learn from.

Thanks!

Is there a such thing? I'm trying to track down the actual music scores to older drum corps shows. I'm not looking to make money off of them or any of those copyright infringing things, I'm just trying to use them as a resource to learn how chords and parts were written and voiced before the days of chromatic bugles and now any key marching brass. I'm looking for shows from the days of two valve/ P/R horns as well as the G-D bugle days and the G-D bugles with rotors for E, F, and F#.

Anyway, just wondering if there is a resource that keeps copies of these show scores available for people to view and learn from.

Thanks!

A reference library for this kind of information would be good. Unfortunately, many of the charts from those periods are pen or pencil on manuscript paper. Scanning them is a nightmare due to poor contrast and format size. If you are interested in a particular chart, post a request here and see what response you get.

Ideally I'm looking for two Phantom Regiment shows that are hugely famous. New World Symphony 1989 and Firebird Suite 1978. These were two of the first drum corps shows I've ever heard (even though they are well before my time) and are the two I'm most familiar with. I know from Youtube that the 78 show was done on piston/rotors which makes it all the more unbelieveable to me.

So if anyone can help with those two shows, I would be forever grateful!

I know from Youtube that the 78 show was done on piston/rotors which makes it all the more unbelieveable to me.

Writing for piston/rotor horns (after 1968) and writing for 2-piston is exactly the same.

Ya just gotta be all thumbs to play the P/Rs.

Writing for piston/rotor horns (after 1968) and writing for 2-piston is exactly the same.

Ya just gotta be all thumbs to play the P/Rs.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the humanity.

Robert

• 2 months later...

Ok, Jeff - you got me. I laughed long and hard at that one!

Ideally I'm looking for two Phantom Regiment shows that are hugely famous. New World Symphony 1989 and Firebird Suite 1978. These were two of the first drum corps shows I've ever heard (even though they are well before my time) and are the two I'm most familiar with. I know from Youtube that the 78 show was done on piston/rotors which makes it all the more unbelieveable to me.

So if anyone can help with those two shows, I would be forever grateful!

Wouldn't have they used 2 piston valves on at least the sops in 1978? Didn't the transition start in 1977?

Wouldn't have they used 2 piston valves on at least the sops in 1978? Didn't the transition start in 1977?

While the transition from piston/rotor to 2 vertical pistons started in '77 (or whatever year), it wouldn't matter from an arranger's perspective. The horizontal piston was like the first vertical valve (whole step) and the rotor was like the second valve (half step). You couldn't play A-flat below C and the A-flat an octave higher needed a slide assist.

While the transition from piston/rotor to 2 vertical pistons started in '77 (or whatever year), it wouldn't matter from an arranger's perspective. The horizontal piston was like the first vertical valve (whole step) and the rotor was like the second valve (half step). You couldn't play A-flat below C and the A-flat an octave higher needed a slide assist.

I was just correcting the OP's comment. So you are saying that arrangers didn't look at the 2 piston valves any different than 1 piston and 1 rotary? I would think that while it would not give you any extra notes, it might make certain passages easier to play. While it may not have made a huge difference in arranging, I could see arrangers attempting more complex passages with the new valve set up.