Now's about the right time to ask

Im going for the trumpet section, and how do you tryout for all three? arnt the camps usually on the same days?

Well bluecoats have a huge ageout class for the trumpet section this year (myself included). Just some statistics for the 2011 season.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go and march Music City first to get your feet wet. Now as for making those first 3 corps that you mentioned.... If you aren't capable of making 1st band at mid-state then don't even bother trying out for any of them, because it will just be a waste of money. Like I said go march Music City first and get your feet wet, then you will be prepared to try out for the big boys... and on the upside Music City is only 30 short miles up I-24

Anyone considering trying out for multiple corps also needs to consider that there are audition and camp costs for each unit, so they should budget for that accordingly.

go and march Music City first to get your feet wet. Now as for making those first 3 corps that you mentioned.... If you aren't capable of making 1st band at mid-state then don't even bother trying out for any of them, because it will just be a waste of money. Like I said go march Music City first and get your feet wet, then you will be prepared to try out for the big boys... and on the upside Music City is only 30 short miles up I-24

If I am not mistaken Music City was limiting membership to HS grads and higher to avoid band conflicts...might want to check to see if that is still in effect.

Here's my take on this:

When my son was the same age you are he decided that he would not be happy until he marched with the Cavaliers. Now, because he plays contra (an in-demand instrument) and because he is pretty athletic he went to Illinois with some high hopes. After he was forgotten for four hours Friday night at the bus station (his first real trip away from home by himself) and after he had absorbed the culture of the group, he called me up and said he didn't want to march there even if they called him back, which they did. Because of where I live I emailed the people at Spirit and Thomas found a wonderful home there for two years. It was a place to find out what drum corps was all about. I think it's an excellent place where you'd find many like-minded individuals in much the same situation you're in. This year, as a music education major and as a veteran of DCI he decided to go somewhere that was more challenging in terms of player demands but also more rewarding in terms of expectations and placements. I don't think he would trade his two years in the Delta and baby blue for anything, and if you're looking for a supportive place to find out about DCI (and you can afford it) I would recommend the drive to Atlanta.

Because he had marched for two years and gotten to know the cultures of not only his own corps but others by talking with and observing what other people did, how they were fed, how happy they seemed (some very elite corps members were very very unhappy, encouraged to practice rather than sleep at night, and on and on...) he was able to make an informed decision about what he wanted to do in the future. Good luck.