Do You "Spin" or "Twirl"

jojo

I spin all of my equipment.

It's not a gun, it's a rifle.

It's not a sword or a knife, it's a sabre.

Rehearsal is what you do as an ensemble, practice is what you do at home :)

Your Mama raised you right

Thanks :) It's funny though, to my mom, guard is pretty stupid. It interferes with schoolwork and forces her to take me back and forth between camps and practice. It was like pulling teeth to get her to let me march :music:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I spin all of my equipment.

It's not a gun, it's a rifle.

It's not a sword or a knife, it's a sabre.

Rehearsal is what you do as an ensemble, practice is what you do at home :)

Your Mama raised you right

*I'LL* Say!

And as far as your parents kvetching about having to haul you to guard practice, please remind them (I'm 40, so I can say this, being of parental age) that guard practice keeps you focused and off the street. It teaches you discipline, camaraderie and sportsmanship.

In other words, it's a good thing!

I'm not a parent...by choice...but I'd welcome it if my kid wanted to do guard, or marching band, or drum corps. It has influence WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY beyond the activity itself.

Show your parents my message.

• 2 weeks later...
I would say if not handled properly, it could cause some damage to your body parts......gloves are a must when catching those babies.....so I've been told.

The blades look flimsier and much narrower than what you see most guards using.

Anyone out there familar with these, please chime in.

Um, well, I'm using those sabres this summer. If gloves are a must, then somebody should tell my instructor :) They hurt, no question about it. I've spun both the white coated ones and the spanish ones. The spanish ones hurt a lot more, but they're weighted much better and therefore easier to spin. btw, they may look flimsy, but solid metal, no matter how thin, is far from flimsy.

Hmm....someone needs to put a bug in your instructors ear....letting him or her know by wearing gloves, especially the proper ones, will help make your catches more solid AND help you from getting injured. B)

I've never used gloves. It's easier to not use them, but I learned without gloves. I hear everyone say they have to have gloves and I toss 5s on Rifle and Sabre solid with out gloves. I personally think Ultimates are better because they make you stronger because of penny weights. Spanish Blades are as light as a feather and I would never need a gloves for them. I know people who say they hate them because they are so light.

• 1 month later...

I got so wrapped up I read all 6 pages of that... :)

I agree with everyone saying spin= guard, twirl= baton BUT when I was marching NL World guard in '02 we used to call it twirling all the time, it was just funny. Ex- "She better get it! Bit** can twirl!" or when we were going to learn new work Cedric would always joke "all right, we're going to learn some new twirls..." Purely joking though.

A flag is just a flag to a spectator, but to a performer it can be a "silk" as well

A rifle is just a rifle to a spectator, but to a performer it can be a "gun"

A sabre is just a sabre to a spectator, but to a performer it can also be a "blade"

Spanish blades have some detailing etched in them...not all metal sabres are nescessarily "Spanish Blades." Most King Sabres are not Spanish Blades. (Spanish style hilts maybe...but that's something else altogether.)

I learned on a King blade, and I teach on a King blade. There is simply nothing better. :) I had to spin an Ultimate (one of the white ones) when I marched SCVC in '01, and boy did I miss my King blade... Non-metal sabres, or even the coated metal ones are weighted like rifles, and I didn't kick my ### learning to spin sabre so I could spin something that feels like a rifle. Part of the difficulty in spinning sabre well comes from learning how it's weighted and using that to manipulate it.

Gloves or no gloves? Personally I think they are a crutch. Sabre hurts with or without them. After you've spun for awhile it really doesn't bother you at all, but for someone new I could see why they would want them. Personally, I will not wear them unless the instructional staff requests that we all do.

As far as teaching goes, we let our weapons wear gloves, but performers who only spin flag are not allowed to. I don't think our high school kids rehearse enough to get used to the beating your hands take.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :)

Melissa

• 2 weeks later...

I Think That if one person wears gloves that it is only uniform that everyone wears gloves. Not that they need them but if everyone is on flag at a point in time in there show they dont' need the gloves then but they dont' have enought time to take them off. It would look ununiform unless everyone wore them. I personally don't need them and my coach thinks they are a crutch too and they are for wimps so I don't ever use them but I find them useful if it's cold outside because our hands can be very fragile when they are cold. I only use mine if it's cold or I want to practice with them on for Corps.

Also for Twirl / Spin it used to seem like such a big Idea but alot of my instructors say twirl so i'm used to hearing it from them. but I still do think that guard spins and majorettes twirl but it's not a big deal. we also say flags and silks and I never notices one of my instructors saying silks until someone brought it up on hear.

I like Ultimate Sabres, I think they are better to spin because the help make you stronger because they are heavier like rifles.

BYE

• 4 weeks later...

i spin......i hate the word twirl, it's sooo dumb!! i always correct someone when they say twirl.......it's so girly.....ick....

i spin......i hate the word twirl, it's sooo dumb!! i always correct someone when they say twirl.......it's so girly.....ick....

Well most all of my instructors say twirl and they say silks. I correct someone who don't know what they are talking about but it's not normally a big deal if they say it wrong because they know what they are talking about anyways. I don't think it's the fact that the word twirl is girly, because I think it sounds more wimpy than anything.