The Olympics and DCI's Popularity

Shoot, I wrote a musing in my doodle book back when I was marching that hypothesized a future in the activity where drum corps was included in the Olympics. Of course, since then, we've dropped over a hundred drum corps in the USA and have zero to negative growth Internationally as well.

I am convinced the problem is DCI. And to be fair, DCA, and pretty much any other organizing group or "power broker" in the current activity. There is NO reason that drum corps couldn't become an Olympic activity. Look at the draw among International auditionees all over--the same "bug" that each of us caught the first time we saw our first corps perform or rehearse (as was my case) is the same "bug" International auditionees caught as well.

But growing the activity means the same old three corps might have to eventually take 4th place instead of their customary every-three-years championship, ya know?

Nothing changes if nothing changes...think about it.

there are lots of reasons why drum corps can not become an Olympic activity. here's the biggest

funding. We keep hearing how several Olympic teams now have trouble getting money. Ok, say we have 25 skiers on the Olympic skiing team. You have to pay for the 4 years worth of training, plus traveling to any national or international comeptitions. that's expensive right? Now factor in the coaches and their salaries. Oh and their equipment. Sure they get some sponsors, but not enough

ok now imagine we have 5 Olympic corps here in the US. Thats say 900 performers, plus staff. plus equipment. plus travel.

Where do you propose all that extra cash comes from??

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point, Jeff. But an even more fundamental issue, before we ever even get to the question of funding, is the number of nations participating. Drum corps doesn't come close to the basic threshold. From the IOC:

"The IOC establishes the programme of the Olympic Games, which only includes Olympic Sports. 1 Olympic Sports included in the Programme of the Olympic Games 1.1 To be included in the programme of the Olympic Games, an Olympic sport must conform to the following criteria: 1.1.1 only sports widely practised by men in at least seventy-five countries and on four continents, and by women in at least forty countries and on three continents, may be included in the programme of the Games of the Olympiad; 1.1.2 only sports widely practised in at least twenty-five countries and on three continents may be included in the programme of the Olympic Winter Games."

So do I! And, of course, the Olympic Winter Games standard was set by the 27th Lancers at Lake Placid back in 1980! :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, DCI has posted a nice article and photos on its website:

The story of the 27th Lancers at the 1980 Winter Olympics

27th Lancers at the Winter Olympics photo gallery