How fast are your hands?

vferrera

This is from the perspective of a horn player who is just looking for information:

For a typical DCI World Class level drummer, what is a reasonable number of notes per second that can be played for a sustained time period (e.g. 30 seconds)

For example, at 120 bpm, quarter notes = 2 per second

eighth notes = 4 per second

sixteenth notes = 8 per second

32nd notes = 16 per second

what is the limit?

What rudiment allows you to play the fastest (max notes per unit time)?

To answer the question - not as fast as they used to be!

And if flams count as notes, then I would imagine the swiss rudiments (flam taps, swiss triplets) would be the way to laying down the most possible notes. Check out Niko from BD 2004 I&E snare solo on youtube. When he says "flam taps, even faster".... :smile:

To echo Adam - definitely not as fast as they used to be. I would submit the open roll as the way to pack the most possible strokes in any given time.

To echo Adam - definitely not as fast as they used to be. I would submit the open roll as the way to pack the most possible strokes in any given time.

In the I&E piece I referenced, he basically plays flam taps at a very respectable double stroke roll tempo...so in essence he is getting 50% more strokes per unit time than just the roll by itself. Check it out, you'll be amazed.

Go to you know where and search for Niko Jasniewicz Solo 2004.

In the I&E piece I referenced, he basically plays flam taps at a very respectable double stroke roll tempo...so in essence he is getting 50% more strokes per unit time than just the roll by itself. Check it out, you'll be amazed.

Go to you know where and search for Niko Jasniewicz Solo 2004.

I did and he was way better than I ever was. :smile:

My favourite part of that solo is the invert-accents-heritas-accents-inverts transition. :smile:

i got one of them drumometer thingys and i got up to 1306 beats in a minute actually a new world record

I got 1308 :tongue:

32nd note double roll @ 200 bpm. (200 X 32)/4 = 1600 beats per minute. Just to put it in terms we can understand.....Not Easy!

Edited for poor math, sorry.

Edited by Storkysr