Music Stand Suggestions?

MikeN

I'm needing to hunt down some music stands that are going to be used by an outdoor ensemble - does anyone have suggestions for heavy-duty stands that might not tip so easily in the wind?

Thanks,

Mike

I use the Belmonte 5051B Pro Music Stand. It's heavier duty than those old Manhassett music stands schools use, is foldable (leg portion), and separates into 2 sections (leg section and music holder). Music holder can lock in any angle and tripod legs can lock in any width to adjust for wind. Extends high enough to play standing up. Best of all, it's available at Sam Ash. It's $39.95 but well worth the price. Here's the link: Belmonte 5051B Pro Music Stand.

Also pop for a substantial sheet of plexi to hold down the music. Have it cut to the full size of the music desk. so you can easily clamp it down when things get really windy.

I use just a regular wire stand, but put my gig bag full of music, mouthpieces, etc. on the legs. I've also used ankle weights wrapped around the base, but I bet a sock full of sand would work just as well. I wouldn't recommend the look of wire stands for a performance, but I've had mine outside on windy days during practice, and my stand seems to be the last one standing. The main problem I could foresee with the Manhasset-type stands is that the stand part acts as a sail and tends to spin.

I guess to be somewhat helpful, my ultimate recommendation would be a Manhasset-type stand with some 5-10lbs of weight on the base: take some duct tape (in black, or your favorite color) and wrap it around the expansion interface to eliminate spin. Add the previously mentioned Plexi, or carry some bulldog clips or clothespins, and your stand should be pretty rock solid.

A technique we used in rock bands for mic stands will work on some word/music stands - slip barbell weights over the shaft.

Try just memorizing it. Works better than any stand

:tongue: winner

I'm needing to hunt down some music stands that are going to be used by an outdoor ensemble - does anyone have suggestions for heavy-duty stands that might not tip so easily in the wind?

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike,

I use the Peak SMS-50 which I purchased specifically for outdoor use while standing. http://www.peakmusicstands.com/category.cfm?category=15

It's one of the taller stands around, it's very sturdy, and the legs are wide enough that it won't tip over.

Well made and highly recommended! :tongue:

Hope that helps,

Paul