Boys of 76 Reunion

The SPIRIT of 76 Drum & Bugle Corps will be holding an open house on Sunday

March 7th between 2:00 & 6:00 p.m. This event will be held at Flatiron Mall

located at 1661 Douglas Ave Racine, Wi. Everyone is welcome to stop in and see what 76 is planning for this year. Feel free to bring along your own instruments. Equipment will be available for use. For more information call, please call 262 308-4558.

Check out Benny Bugler on facebook or email the corps at boysof76@hotmail.com! Put a real step into March and stop in!

Ahhhh, at last! :worthy:

I'll get the word out to Dust. Sent a email with info about 10 min. ago.

Dang,

I'll be skiing in Keystone, CO on March 7th.

Have fun and say hi to everyone for me!!!

Will do! SE Wisconsin is ripe for an alumni corps! :smile:

Nice pics on Corpsreps.com [many from before i was born :tongue: ]

Boys (Spirit) of 76

One of my first drum corps albums had Boys of 76 on it...fondly remember driving my dad nuts blasting

my albums on the family stereo while he tried to read the newspaper :worthy:

Best of luck with your reunion. Post some more pictures please. Love the history....[DCP] ..."A couple of unique features set this venerable corps apart. It is reputed to be the only drum and bugle corps ever directed by John Philip Sousa, for one thing. For another, at least one charter drummer learned his musicianship from a veteran of the American Civil War. Finally, after a tour of France in 1923 (one source says 1927), the corps established a tontine, in which a fine bottle of cognac was set on a mantle, to be opened and toasted by the last surviving member of the 1923 Boys."

Thanks for the memories

Dan :ph34r:

Edited by skybusmgr

Try this link:

WWI Era Boys of 76

Nice pics on Corpsreps.com [many from before i was born :worthy: ]

Boys (Spirit) of 76

One of my first drum corps albums had Boys of 76 on it...fondly remember driving my dad nuts blasting

my albums on the family stereo while he tried to read the newspaper :tongue:

Best of luck with your reunion. Post some more pictures please. Love the history....[DCP] ..."A couple of unique features set this venerable corps apart. It is reputed to be the only drum and bugle corps ever directed by John Philip Sousa, for one thing. For another, at least one charter drummer learned his musicianship from a veteran of the American Civil War. Finally, after a tour of France in 1923 (one source says 1927), the corps established a tontine, in which a fine bottle of cognac was set on a mantle, to be opened and toasted by the last surviving member of the 1923 Boys."

Thanks for the memories

Dan :tongue:

:ph34r:

Hey Dan - You might want to contact Paul Chaffee about that bottle of cognac..I remember him talking about that when the last surviving memeber of the orginal " Boys" passed away..I don't remember all the details, but I'm sure HE could shed some light on it..Still one of the grand old stories of the Boys of '76..

I wish I could get there this weekend - I just want to see how many of the folks I marched against are still hanging around..I might have even wanted to sit in - if they'd let me!

Pat

..."at least one charter drummer learned his musicianship from a veteran of the American Civil War.

My wife's grandfather was a member of the Boys of 76 in the 1920s, and he was indeed taught drumming

by an American Civil War veteran. His son, John Oberst, who also marched in the Boys of 76, has

a picture of "Grandpa O" as a teen with said Civil War vet, complete with rope drum.

Finally, after a tour of France in 1923 (one source says 1927), the corps established a tontine, in which a fine bottle of cognac was set on a mantle, to be opened and toasted by the last surviving member of the 1923 Boys."

Granpa O was the 4th last man to pass away, and he was livid when he found out that the keeper

of the cognac (Dr. Geenan) had donated the bottle to the Racine Historical Museum. I'm not sure

if the final toast was ever made. The tour of France occurred in 1927 in conjunction with the

1927 American Legion Convention.

Nice pics on Corpsreps.com [many from before i was born :smile: ]

Boys (Spirit) of 76

my albums on the family stereo while he tried to read the newspaper :smile:

The first corps from the Midwest to make DCA Finals, in 1970. :smile:

Fran