Lesson in posting security

Live in fear and fear will live

Live in fear and fear will live

But learning how to protect yourself covers your ### better.....

Seriously this started because of now deleted posts between cowtown and other DCPers. Some of the comments I read just had me shaking my head so I decided to spout off. Big (dumb) idea I remember was either only people who are members of DCP can read the posts or only people interested in Drum Corps look at DCP. :tongue: To rip the old carpenters axiom of "Measure twice, cut once" people need to "think twice and post once".

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I guess I missed the thread that triggered this one. But there really isn't any privacy anymore. If you work in IT, you have access to literally thousands (sometimes millions) of SSN's and personal info. Even if you don't, if you have a ground line and it's NOT unlisted (default), anyone with basic knowledge can do a reverse lookup and find out everything they need. I've had an old college buddy that I lost contact with look me up on the internet. Everytime mom loses / misplaces her address book, I just look up my brothers home phone numbers and mailing addresses on the internet. You don't need a forum and tidbits to do that stuff. Your bank records are probably ONLINE, even if you don't WANT them to be. Access is not always direct, but it is accessible. I stopped by radioshack the other day, an item that they carry, but didn't have in stock is orderable by WEB ONLY via CREDIT CARD. Which means that I'm probably looking for a second camcorder of a different brand, instead of a spare battery.

Basically there's TWO things that I never do online. Send out my SSN, or financial transactions. If you're a business and don't have a phone number and mailing address, you're probably not a business that I want to do business with anyway. Plus while I'm requesting said information I can ask for a discount (10% off and free shipping). I've tried signing up for a few places like facebook or myspace, but they required too much information IMO. Heck, Oracle required you to give them your SSN to download the documentation on how to use their product. Progressive required your SSN to get a quote online. And 99% of the .GOV sites require your SSN online to do the things that you are REQUIRED to do by LAW. Some of these still have the OLD ways of doing things, but that's slowly being phased out. I tend to favor the old ways, if only to ensure that some human somewhere still has a job. I don't even use the ATM anymore. I have an ATM card (am I even allowed to opt out of that?), but I really don't know what my PIN is at this point. Recalling my tour in '93 and having said ATM card and not being able to access my money east of the mississippi. Except at the rather rare B of A.