This Memorial Day... please remember our role in the community

According to a Pentagon official in an article in the USA Today last November, 80% of Military Honors Funerals will have a recorded playing of Taps.

A lot of you like to rag on "old timers" and that's fine when it comes to "the activity," but if right now only 20% of vets get an actual fellow American with a horn at their funeral, then what's it going to be like in 50 years?

We are an important part of our communities.

A dear friend of mine passed away last summer. He and I were in the Air Force together. I knew him for 20 of our 25 years of service. I promised him that I would play taps at his funeral. When the day came, I approached the SSgt. in charge of the funeral detail and stated my intentions to play taps on my bugle. He respectfully told me that it was against "regulations" for me to play taps, that they had a device for taps. I let him know that this was the deceased final wish and that nothing was going to stop me from fufilling my promise to him. I played taps without incident. The funeral detail from Moody AFB was very professional.

RIP Frank!

Edited by Shenandoah Vibrato

We play Taps several times during the parade in Sarasota. 720 cadets with band and pipe band stop en mass and wait while a lone trumpet player plays Taps. It is very quiet and the community really appreciates it.

At Noon today, just after church The congregation assembles at the flag pole to hear a list of servicemen and women from the area that both died for our freedoms and that are enlisted presently. After which there will be Amazing Grace played on the Bag Pipes and then a moment of silence. I will then play Taps on the Euphonium. It's a pretty powerful moment.

At Noon today, just after church The congregation assembles at the flag pole to hear a list of servicemen and women from the area that both died for our freedoms and that are enlisted presently. After which there will be Amazing Grace played on the Bag Pipes and then a moment of silence. I will then play Taps on the Euphonium. It's a pretty powerful moment.

Euphonium - nice touch.

And a reminder that any brass valved instrument is considered suitable. Taps isn't just for soprano bugle or trumpet.

Tom... you are a great ambassador on this issue.

Keep spreading the word about this important role that buglers can play to perform a final honor for our Veterans. And please remember that we are always ready to perform, should anyone have a need in our area.

Edited by capitalbrass

There is a request out there for a bugler for Sat 6/12 , noon, in Florida, NY (Middletown area) For a deceased Vet.

Surely there is someone nearby who could play taps that day. Send a note to Tom Allen. I believe the request came through him.

Edited by capitalbrass

There is a request out there for a bugler for Sat 6/12 , noon, in Florida, NY (Middletown area) For a deceased Vet.

Surely there is someone nearby who could play taps that day. Send a note to Tom Allen. I believe the request came through him.

Thanks Tom...

And yes the request is for a Memorial Service on Saturday June 12, in Florida, NY (Middletown/West Point Region of NY).