The Pasco, Wash. Rinse and Spin

I am a brand new Corps mom this year! My daughter plays mellophone for the Cascades and since joining I have seen a more confident person emerge and she loves it! I wish I could have seen them perform last night (and the night before) but thanks to all the people who are posting information on the performances. She told me how impressive the Troopers and Blue Knights are. Here is hoping the Cascades continue to improve, I know they are all having a great time!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a brand new Corps mom this year! My daughter plays mellophone for the Cascades and since joining I have seen a more confident person emerge and she loves it! I wish I could have seen them perform last night (and the night before) but thanks to all the people who are posting information on the performances. She told me how impressive the Troopers and Blue Knights are. Here is hoping the Cascades continue to improve, I know they are all having a great time!

Congrats, it truly is an experience of a lifetime!! I can tell you that we get on here to chat about this activity because we still love it so much no matter what age we are. At age 33, I can honestly say I owe a lot of my band directong career to drum corps! The things you learn, leadership and firends you make are irreplaceable! A truly amazing experience!!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

The cascades definitely have come a long way from last year. Their show is much stronger and as alum of the corps I was proud to see the product they have-I know that this is a show they can compete and grow with.

Congrats, it truly is an experience of a lifetime!! I can tell you that we get on here to chat about this activity because we still love it so much no matter what age we are. At age 33, I can honestly say I owe a lot of my band directong career to drum corps! The things you learn, leadership and firends you make are irreplaceable! A truly amazing experience!!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

I know this may seem like a deep response (and definitely off topic) but you mention you are a band director! My daughter struggled through middle school and was a lost soul! She was not enrolled in band entering high school when the Bellingham (WA) High School band director found out she played french horn and encouraged her to join band. This man challenged my daughter and didn't let her just get by. He convinced her to tryout for wind ensemble, jazz band and to take a chance and audition for the Cascades. In my opinion he saved my daughter and the young woman that emerged was the person I envisioned her to be and more. So thank you and all the other educators who mentor our children. You do make a difference!!

Allison Wilhonen (Cascades mom 2010 :tongue: )

I know this may seem like a deep response (and definitely off topic) but you mention you are a band director! My daughter struggled through middle school and was a lost soul! She was not enrolled in band entering high school when the Bellingham (WA) High School band director found out she played french horn and encouraged her to join band. This man challenged my daughter and didn't let her just get by. He convinced her to tryout for wind ensemble, jazz band and to take a chance and audition for the Cascades. In my opinion he saved my daughter and the young woman that emerged was the person I envisioned her to be and more. So thank you and all the other educators who mentor our children. You do make a difference!!

Allison Wilhonen (Cascades mom 2010 :tongue: )

Are you planning to go to Championships this year?

The cascades definitely have come a long way from last year. Their show is much stronger and as alum of the corps I was proud to see the product they have-I know that this is a show they can compete and grow with.

I was only able to see them in a parade and perform a concert in a park. I thought they were wonderful (of course I am biased). I will have to wait until August to see them in competition. So happy to hear they are on the right path!

Are you planning to go to Championships this year?

Not sure if I can get time off work! BUT they are showing the DCI championships at a movie theater in Lynnwood, WA. There are 8 kids from Whatcom County (5 from Bellingham High; 3 from Ferndale High) and 4 staff members (all from Ferndale, WA) who are in Cascades. So there is a large contingent of families, band members and boosters travelling to watch on the big screen.

Not sure if I can get time off work! BUT they are showing the DCI championships at a movie theater in Lynnwood, WA. There are 8 kids from Whatcom County (5 from Bellingham High; 3 from Ferndale High) and 4 staff members (all from Ferndale, WA) who are in Cascades. So there is a large contingent of families, band members and boosters travelling to watch on the big screen.

I'm only saying this so that you can have a 'plan b' for seeing Cascades at Quarters, but if I recall, they only show the top 17 in the theater. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

(also not saying that Cascades don't have a shot at making Semis, I just don't want you to be disappointed if you don't see them at the theater)

I'm only saying this so that you can have a 'plan b' for seeing Cascades at Quarters, but if I recall, they only show the top 17 in the theater. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

(also not saying that Cascades don't have a shot at making Semis, I just don't want you to be disappointed if you don't see them at the theater)

Oooohhh thank you I love having a back up plan! I will send them a note and tell them to kick it up a notch so that I can see them on the big screen :tongue: I think I might buy the pay per view from Atlanta as well! So worst case scenario I get to see at least one performance!

Have to agree with what you said about band directors-they can often make a huge difference in a kids life. The experiences your daughter has with drum corps will stay with her forever. I am sooo sad to be an age out mom this year, but so thrilled that my son has had the opportunity to be involved.