Walnut, CA - Short Review

Great Southern California day to be outside. I like the stadium and financially support PC. I like Stuart (Director), we even chatted in the VIP area with Dan Achesen before the show. We talked smack about golf and nothing about drum corps.

As for the kind of drum corps I like: loud, emotional and entertaining. In the past 30 years (and excluding my years - 83 to 85 - and recordings to be fair), I would have to say BD 82, Star 88, SCV 89, Madison 95, Cavies 95, SCV 99, Cadets 00, BD 03, SCV 04, Crown 07, and Phantom 09 provides a solid and very small sample of what I think is a quality drum corps show.

From my perspective, the stands were less full than previous years, especially the area I was sitting in - row 27 (out of 32) and just off the 50 on side 1. I felt the same way about most of the corps - soo many holes. I think BD was the only corps without holes.

Sorry, but I missed the first half of the evening as I was in the souvie area with a drum corps friend I haven't seen since 91. I've also seem thousands of drum corps shows and these simply do not entertain me. Buying tickets so they have a venue to perform in is my contribution to them.

Intermission - bought my first drum corps DVD in 5 years, the SCV Tour DVD from last year. I loved SCVs 09 show. I also wanted to see the guard show. I watched "The Kiss" yesterday and it was amazing, as all my guard friends have said. Thank you SCV.

Mandarins - a little less than I was expecting from them. They've grown tremendously over the past decade or so and their horns are usually better then this.

Pacific Crest - While not the most entertaining show they've produced, this seemed the most mature at this stage of the tour. I'm glad they hired Gordon Henderson as he is a great instructor, an encyclopedia of marching music technique, and he can water down a horn book like no one else - which is actually a great thing.

Academy - They should have won. Most entertaining show if the evening. Nice hornline (did they dump the Jupiter horns?) and overall an entertaining show. They were the winner of the Harrison Drum Corps trophy last night and performed a show beyond my expectations.

Santa Clara Vanguard - I have a bias here as I generally love SCV. There are some good moments, the drill is relatively interesting (a good mix of staccato or 4 count moves and some longer marching phrases that take time to develop). There is a lack of precision when it comes to body movement though. Some of their dance moves were not in sync and there were many angles to their arm movements, body angles, etc. The horn book is stale. As my friend said (has a DCI ring, won individuals on his horn and is a professional) "How can someone write that and think it is going to be good?". It's not the music, it's the writing. There were also several times where the horns were just playing notes and not interpreting the music. This is a talent and training issue. For example: The baritones hammer tonguing their entrance and weren't playing together, in tune, or with the appropriate tone. That really annoyed me and it happened at the beginning of the show. Drums are getting closer to the typical sound of the staff head, just need to clean it up this year and attract more talent over the next few years. I heard they had their complete show on the field and the ending seems like a car running into a very sold brick wall, prompting the question "Is that it?" Guess so.

Blue Devils - really thought they were going to play A Chorus Line with all the mirrors all over the field - probably would have been more interesting. I liked their introduction, but the show goes flat after that. They have some very impressive drill moves that are relatively clean. From one aspect, they've finally challenged the massive talent that have by putting some of this stuff in. BUT they only do it for a short period of time. It seems like there is quite a bit of "non competitive" marching going on here. The hornline sound fabulous, top notch. Some high notes lacked confidence and completeness, I'm expecting a frack at finals if it's still in come that day. Guard uniforms look like the floor after my daughters cut bright construction paper. So much for the blending in with the corps concept.

Overall, I'm generally displeased with early season shows as they change so much over the season and the level of execution simply isn't there. As for the spread in points, it really shouldn't matter until there are head-to-head competitions. Other than that, it's just a way to slot corps. So if I'm so unhappy with drum corps, why do I support it? Because I know the performers are learning similar lessons that I learned when I marched that have stuck with me forever, it takes a lot of work and commitment just to participate, they're doing what they love to do, I do want the activity to thrive - which requires money, and every once in a while I'm surprised that one show or a moment in a show is so good that it sticks out from a historical perspective and m,akes it all worth it for me.

So very much :tongue: to all of this (except skipping the little guys, as I know how it feels to play to empty stands). I often struggle with how much I love drum corps and how much I hate drum corps shows - you've captured my thoughts exquisitely. Great comments on the performances as well.

Thank you for taking the time to do a review. I was there, but sitting in the front row with a friend, her husband and their two-year-old. I planned it that way, because I wanted to make sure we (the baby) wouldn't be disturbing anyone and this way if she freaked we could get outta there quick! But I did get a really cool up close view of the costumes and the music was literally in my face.

IMO the best drum major of the night - Pacific Crest!

IMO the best guard costumes of the night - Santa Clara Vanguard! Love, love, love the dark red.

Maybe it's because I'm female, and a mom, but I find something good in every show. I am not disappointed at all! I can't imagine doing what these kids do and I have much respect.

It's funny to think back when my son started high school marching band and going to all the competitions I was in complete awe. Then he found a drum corps video online - cavaliers Machine - and we were both like what the heck IS THIS?! Did some research and found a corps close to us - Pacific Crest. He marched the summer of 10th grade. His passion for music (and singing) was born that summer and went on to take every music class at school - chamber choir, jazz band, marching band, concert band, winter drumline and so on. Now he is marching with Santa Clara Vanguard and starting college in the fall - music ed major.

And here's to a great drum corps season - can't wait for finals!

Academy - They should have won. Most entertaining show if the evening. Nice hornline (did they dump the Jupiter horns?) and overall an entertaining show. They were the winner of the Harrison Drum Corps trophy last night and performed a show beyond my expectations.

The Academy is still sponsored by Jupiter/Mapex/Majestic. They received a brand new line of horns at the beginning of this season, which from what I understand, underwent many adjustments after a season in Phantom Regiment's hands.

Sorry, but I missed the first half of the evening as I was in the souvie area with a drum corps friend I haven't seen since 91. I've also seem thousands of drum corps shows and these simply do not entertain me. Buying tickets so they have a venue to perform in is my contribution to them.

Interesting.

The Academy is still sponsored by Jupiter/Mapex/Majestic. They received a brand new line of horns at the beginning of this season, which from what I understand, underwent many adjustments after a season in Phantom Regiment's hands.

This is correct. They also took input from 2009 Academy and other groups sponsored by Jupiter for the 2009 (like Arizona State University.)

Hmmm....I thought Academy was the most melodic and musical corps, but I couldn't help but think of it as a watered down version of Glassmen 98!

I really disliked SCV. As much as I usually love them, I couldn't get into the show at all.

I thought the concept from BD was fantastic. The field felt so full, and the opening movement from the hornline mirroring the guard was genius!

Edited by guardguy05

A few comments from the Biker Gallery:

Qualifications: Lots of years playing brass and marching at all levels (Associate, Alumni, Top 3); DC and MB visual staff for years; no hearing aids, and I still have all my own teeth and hair.

Mandarins: IMO this show is percussion-centric featuring one of the best Associate level (old term for 24th-13th place) drumlines I’ve seen in quite a while. This is the one corps where the Asian string sound effect on keyboard actually “works” with the show content. Their uniforms are outstanding and those kids are working hard!

Academy: Winner of the evening’s Golden Twinkie Award for the show that <insert Irish accent here> “…shines out like a shaft of gold don’t ye know, with a yummy center”: highly entertaining, and the kids do a good job of selling it to the audience. This will be a show to be reckoned with next month.

BD: Loved the first couple of minutes, then someone stepped on the remote and changed the channel. The mirrors do a fine job of effectively doubling the size of the guard at times, and also serve as a great sound reflector. Kudos to the staff -- what health spa did BD get their guard from? The hornline runs more than the Red Team, but in this show I see the return of patented BD Contra/Tuba Rubber Band drill with the front sideline. I do like the tuba runs during one of the standstill moments.

SCV: Having attended their afternoon rehearsal, I knew what to expect of the ending added to their show. Still, the crowd reaction after their last note—5 seconds of silence after the DM turned around, and the collective “Whaaa---?” from those around me-- was worth the price of admission. I like the book, I love the extended tenor feature, and I really do like the show…

HOWEVER…

[Rant On]

That said, let me apologize in advance for my next observation as don't wish to offend any parents; I am a parent as well, and I commend those that support their kids in this activity. With the exception of their drumline, I have two words for most members of the other sections of this corps, both guys and gals: SLIM FAST. Layers of jiggly mass under a tight uniform does not lend itself to fluid motions, and slows reaction time when trying to recover from, oh, say, a rifle drop during that evening’s performance. Direction changes are easier when your gut’s momentum isn’t conspiring against your shoulders (see Newton’s Second Law.) In three hours of rehearsal, I saw not ONE push up, and it shows in the lack of upper body control and TQ&I issues which the OP (whom I marched with) pointed out. I’ll admit they’re in better shape than I am cardiovascularly, but my gut doesn’t jiggle or spill over my waistband, and it still has some ab definition left from “back in the day” even though I don’t work out as much as I used to or should. You youngun’s don’t have to work so hard at it! Stop texting or iPhoning, run a mile or two after rehearsal, do some sit ups in the gym, take advantage of the pull up bars found on most HS campuses, do some tricep presses using a lunch table, eat more salad & fruit. In short, just say no to Big Belly Crew, and yes to MOJO! As Dilbert is prone to say, "Gaaaahhh!!!"

[/Rant Off]

Edited by SCV Biker