Tarheel Sun

I remember really enjoying Tarheel Sun in the late 90's and early 2000's. I remember they placed last the final 2 years in competition, and was very surprised, as they seemed better in almost every caption than the corps placing in the 3 or 4 slots above them.

At a show this year, I ran into someone who used to work with another corps, and we talked about all the corps in the past that were no longer in existence and of course Tarheel Sun was one of the dozens we discussed. He was telling me a story about their folding that I hadn't heard, and wondered if anyone could elaborate on it.

He was saying part of the problem was Tarheel Sun was going above DCI and scheduling into shows that were already full. So DCI basically ran them out. I'm not sure how a corps could do something like this, and I was just wondering if anyone knew more information about them. I loved this corps alot, and really enjoyed their shows. I know after 9 years, they probably won't ever become active again. If this is true, it is a shame that alot of young members had to suffer the folding of their corps because of someone trying to rearrange their schedule.

I remember really enjoying Tarheel Sun in the late 90's and early 2000's. I remember they placed last the final 2 years in competition, and was very surprised, as they seemed better in almost every caption than the corps placing in the 3 or 4 slots above them.

At a show this year, I ran into someone who used to work with another corps, and we talked about all the corps in the past that were no longer in existence and of course Tarheel Sun was one of the dozens we discussed. He was telling me a story about their folding that I hadn't heard, and wondered if anyone could elaborate on it.

He was saying part of the problem was Tarheel Sun was going above DCI and scheduling into shows that were already full. So DCI basically ran them out. I'm not sure how a corps could do something like this, and I was just wondering if anyone knew more information about them. I loved this corps alot, and really enjoyed their shows. I know after 9 years, they probably won't ever become active again. If this is true, it is a shame that alot of young members had to suffer the folding of their corps because of someone trying to rearrange their schedule.

Other than the corps director never paying people...and running the corps on bad credit and literally credit cards...he ended up in jail eventually...nothing was wrong....

That would be a big fat negative on the "coming back" part. Platinum is starting up in the Raleigh area and I hope they do well and take it nice and slow. We need more corps down here.

This has no basis in reality.

This is not how the scheduling system works on either the corps side of things or DCI's side of things.

Consider a few things:

Tarheel Sun was working a typical tour schedule for a corps at that level in 2000. There would be no reason for them to go around the DCI scheduling process - they had all the work they needed and were getting paid for it by DCI.

There were probably not a lot of show promoters going out of there way to strike side deals to attract a 24th place corps. It would cost the promoter whatever money they would offer the corps but what would it gain them? Would having that one extra corps in their show help sell enough extra tickets to cover the cost? Not likely, IMO.

I just know this. Ira won't be having dinner at the Golden Corral anytime soon.

I know too much of this story, but I believe there is a digest of it somewhere in the dark recesses of DCP. However, I remember Magic of Orlando being in rougher shape...what their corps director was alleged of doing for her staff in lieu of payment....

Ah, those were the days....

Out of respect for the wonderful kids I met on tour for a couple of weeks in 2000, and my son Todd marched Snare, elaboration is not proper now. The practiced as hard as anyone.....sounded good , but as a helper and observer it smelled of politics and maybe some debt. I would like to add that Todd is fighting Cancer and hopefully the Tarheel members will read this. We need your prayers. The Tarheel members were a wonderful group of kids. ...........Never to be forgotten.

Bill Clendenon

Out of respect for the wonderful kids I met on tour for a couple of weeks in 2000, and my son Todd marched Snare, elaboration is not proper now. The practiced as hard as anyone.....sounded good , but as a helper and observer it smelled of politics and maybe some debt. I would like to add that Todd is fighting Cancer and hopefully the Tarheel members will read this. We need your prayers. The Tarheel members were a wonderful group of kids. ...........Never to be forgotten.

Bill Clendenon

Thank you for saying this. Let's never forget those kids who worked hard and played their hearts out. Please let Todd know that people he doesn't even know are sending positive thoughts for his recovery.