Crown Brass Issues

A lot of people that have been at performances this year are saying that crown is having "issues" with the brass.

I have not yet been to a live performance, only watched the FN stuff.

This is apparent in the large gap between their brass scores and their ensemble music scores.

http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?e...48-bcf146e77eb9

Now I am not familiar with how DCI judges evaluate brass vs. ensemble and how the two relate.

If someone would be so kind to explain to me what is causing this scoring (specific to Crown) and how specifically both the brass and ensemble music categories are judged (In general) that would be much appreciated! :lol:

Crown is one of my favorite corps and I am just curious as to why they are getting beat up by the judges. :worthy:

Thanks!

Ensemble is not a brass caption. It is a "music" caption. It evaluates how well the entire musical book lines up ... and for some stupid reason visual tends to bleed into this caption as well.

How?

Bad staging? Huge visual spreads on the field that create ensemble issues. etc etc etc.

A hornline can win brass on the field and easily have a 7th ranked ensemble score. In essence, this is a reflection upon the drumline, how well the front ensemble, battery and hornline "LINE UP" and how well all components are staged for proper voicing and featuring on the field. Nice caption eh?

After Music GE .. this is the 2nd WORST adjudicated caption that exists within DCI. At least from a consistency standpoint .... it's all over the place most years.

Ensemble is not a brass caption. It is a "music" caption. It evaluates how well the entire musical book lines up ... and for some stupid reason visual tends to bleed into this caption as well.

How?

Bad staging? Huge visual spreads on the field that create ensemble issues. etc etc etc.

A hornline can win brass on the field and easily have a 7th ranked ensemble score. In essence, this is a reflection upon the drumline, how well the front ensemble, battery and hornline "LINE UP" and how well all components are staged for proper voicing and featuring on the field. Nice caption eh?

After Music GE .. this is the 2nd WORST adjudicated caption that exists within DCI. At least from a consistency standpoint .... it's all over the place most years.

Thanks for the insight.

Yeah that's a pretty strange way to judge it.

:worthy: