Garfield 86.1

Cavaliers 83.95

Bridgemen 81.2

Muchachos 79.85

Blue Stars 76.5

Guardsmen 74.55

Saints 70.85

Boston Crusaders 70.8

I think it is interesting to see that only a few days later in Philadelphia, the Bridgemen (6th), the Cavaliers (7th), the Blue Stars (9th) and the Guardsmen (12th) all made Finals while Garfield (14th) and the Muchachos (21st) did not.

No idea why the big swings in scores and placements - differences in the VFW vs DCI judging systems (or judges), perhaps?

No idea why the big swings in scores and placements - differences in the VFW vs DCI judging systems (or judges), perhaps?

Not surprisingly, the Legion and VFW generally rewarded the more execution-oriented corps, as opposed to the GE corps. It also didn't hurt to be rather conservative in nature. At least the VFW pretty much accepted the DCI judging sheets in the later years, even if their judges didn't always interpret under the same standards.

I think it is interesting to see that only a few days later in Philadelphia, the Bridgemen (6th), the Cavaliers (7th), the Blue Stars (9th) and the Guardsmen (12th) all made Finals while Garfield (14th) and the Muchachos (21st) did not.

Yes, there was a difference in score sheets with the VFW favoring execution more so than DCI did at the time. However, there were two other factors that could have been involved here too: politics and biased judging.

Hey, it's August and someone I know reminded me of this old story.

At the 1966 Legion Nationals in Washington D.C. the Boston Crusaders had the unfortunate luck of drawing 1st for the finals even though they finished 3rd in the preliminaries. Following their performance the corps went to a retreat setup area and placed horns, drums and color guard equipment of the ground in parade formation. To then get from the field up to the stands required entering a large holding area under the stands behind the end zone and then having to take a freight elevator up to the lower level concourse of RFK stadium. One of the stadium employees showed the way and up to the concourse and the seats the Crusaders went. A few corps later the Casper Troopers competed and were having trouble locating the right avenue to get up to the concourse area. Many took another route but a number of Troopers milled around trying to figure out how to get up to the stands. Directly above the milling Troopers the Crusaders sat in the lower stands watching the confusion unfold. Finally out of frustration one of the Troopers looked up and yelled “hey Boston, how did you get up there”? The response, almost simultaneously yelled out by at least 3 Crusaders was “PRACTICE”.

Was also part of the 'Saders in the upper section. It's only a minor point, but I recall the Trooper asking how to get to the top at which the response of practice was yelled down. A great AL Nationals with the top six Juniors and Seniors. Believe that was the year when the Skyliners trashed their hotel after losing to Hawthorne.