The South is HEATING UP!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bringing your sleeping bag and jammies too?

Hope you can make it, Ed!

Yes,,planning to stay with the corps onsite.

We're looking forward to it!

This actually won't be our last show before prelims; we'll be at the Reading show the following weekend.

This time I won't forget my blankie! :worthy::lle::worthy::thumbup:

This time I won't forget my blankie! :worthy::lle::worthy::thumbup:

No blankie???? Who needs a pacifier???? :)

Its been hot here in the South, and last Saturday's DCA ATLANTA contest was even hotter. A large crowd was on hand in Woodstock Ga, to see both Atlanta corps' - Alliance and Corps Vets - slug it out as Alliance edged by CorpsVets by .575. Sun Devils, battling for a CLASS A Finalist spot in Rochester finished 3rd and Shenandoah Sound with their best corps to date placed 4th.

Special Thanks go out to Terry Reilly, Alliance and the Woodstock HS Band Boosters for getting this show together in a very short amount of time and it being successful. This could become an annual event for the South!

We stay in Atlanta for the August 21st contest, aptly named "SOUTHERN SHOWDOWN" sponsored by the CorpsVets. This show has been traveling around over the last few weeks looking for a home due to unforeseen circumstances, but have no fear, Suzanne and Ken have worked hard and have secured that at EAST COWETA MS in Senoia GA, located off of 85N>

The contest will begin at 8:00pm and again will feature, Shenandoah Sound, Sun Devils, Alliance and CorpsVets. This will be the final judged performance for these corps prior to DCA Championships in Rochester.

Tickets can be purchased at www.corpsvets.org. or at the gate. Beside General Admission tickets, CV is also selling a VIP Package that includes a preshow BBQ and PREMIUM SEATING at the show. The VIP Package is only available online.

Come out and SUPPORT your Southern DCA Corps' . The ENTERTAINMENT VALUE is worth the price of admission!

I recall chatting with a buddy of mine from my time in the Alabama Pipes and Drums Celtic Pipe Band who happens to be a drum corps veteran by the name of Jim Dinkins, and he informed me that Spain Park in Birmingham, Alabama used to house drum corps shows (DCI if my memory serves me correctly). Seeing as how there are more Southern Corps emerging, will DCA South have something in the works as to bring the Drum Corps shows back to Birmingham, AL?

I recall chatting with a buddy of mine from my time in the Alabama Pipes and Drums Celtic Pipe Band who happens to be a drum corps veteran by the name of Jim Dinkins, and he informed me that Spain Park in Birmingham, Alabama used to house drum corps shows (DCI if my memory serves me correctly). Seeing as how there are more Southern Corps emerging, will DCA South have something in the works as to bring the Drum Corps shows back to Birmingham, AL?

I imagine the answer to that question lies in whether or not there is a sponsor willing to host a show there. As of now, there are no competitive corps in that area, but in the future who knows?

True. I am guessing that the shows in previous years were not sponsored by an individual corps but were sponsored by the circuit.

True. I am guessing that the shows in previous years were not sponsored by an individual corps but were sponsored by the circuit.

You would guess wrong then.

There simply is no revenue coming from DCAS.

I might add we do get pretty good compensation for the program ads we sell so there is some money coming from DCAS. Just not big money or bingo money.

Edited by camel lips

I'm sorry Ed. I took that into consideration. But what I recall from my time in is that in DCA, a corps would sponsor a show... like Cabs with "cabs on the beach" and sky with the 2006 Dover, NJ show. But who would front a majority of the bill for something like Finals? Example with the first finals weekend in a new location before they could build up local support? *This is not to rebut anyone's statement but to gain some knowledge about shows and funding/sponsorship. Please don't take too much offense by my ignorance.* :innocent:

I'm sorry Ed. I took that into consideration. But what I recall from my time in is that in DCA, a corps would sponsor a show... like Cabs with "cabs on the beach" and sky with the 2006 Dover, NJ show. But who would front a majority of the bill for something like Finals? Example with the first finals weekend in a new location before they could build up local support? *This is not to rebut anyone's statement but to gain some knowledge about shows and funding/sponsorship. Please don't take too much offense by my ignorance.* :innocent:

Hey man,,no worries. Did not take it wrong at all.

I think some people think that we in the south have the same opportunities as those in other regions have. We don't. There are no large fundraisiers like Bingo and we do not get any funds from big corporations. Unless you count the whole Chase thing which was kind of surprising.