Roof Closed

So how has the roof situation been playing out? Has it been closed? What about tonight?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how has the roof situation been playing out? Has it been closed? What about tonight?

It was only going to be opened for Quarterfinals, but they didn't do that because the heat index was 105+. It never was planned to be open for last night or tonight, so no, it won't be.

Edited by cmathis

It was only going to be opened for Quarterfinals, but they didn't do that because the heat index was 105+. It never was planned to be open for last night or tonight, so no, it won't be.

Thank you.

So what was the big selling point of LOS? That the roof and sides would be able to be open when it was clear out and closed during rain, so far the roof has NEVER been open for finals.

So what was the big selling point of LOS? That the roof and sides would be able to be open when it was clear out and closed during rain, so far the roof has NEVER been open for finals.

I'm pretty sure LOS doesn't even have a drainage system. Why on earth would you build a dome with a retractable roof with NO drainage system? That's beyond dumb.

You will see below that this was a freakish weather system, one we haven't seen in 22 years in Indianapolis. Those things just can't be predicted anywhere.

Link to AP article about Indiana heat wave

August 13, 2010

Indiana heat warning to continue through Saturday

The Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS — A heat spell that the National Weather Service called the longest in 22 years in Indianapolis was expected to continue across Indiana.

The weather service issued an excessive heat warning through Saturday night for most of central and southern Indiana. The heat index was forecast between 105 and 110 degrees.

The weather service said it recorded a high of 96 degrees Thursday at Indianapolis International Airport, marking a fourth straight day of temperatures above 94. It said that last occurred in August 1988. High temperatures were forecast to approach 96 both Friday and Saturday.

Bloomington Speedway promoter Mike Miles said the track canceled its Friday night racing program because of the excessive heat. He said the cancellation was the responsible thing to do for fans, employees and drivers.

[substitute fans, employees and drivers with fans, staffs and especially marching members.]

Edited by Michael Boo

There was a thunder storm semi's night, as Star Alumni was about to warmup. I saw several bolts of lightning pretty close to the stadium.

Watch and listen VERY VERY carefully to this video. ESPECIALLY the part where DAN ACHESON is sepeaking. He makes it VERY clear that opening the roof was the MAIN deal maker. Listen close.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=1...ea-f85ef5fc5f62

Edited by Perry S

Watch and listen VERY VERY carefully to this video. ESPECIALLY the part where DAN ACHESON is sepeaking. He makes it VERY clear that opening the roof was the MAIN deal maker. Listen close.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=1...ea-f85ef5fc5f62

It was HOT!!!! and HUMID!!!!! Were you there????,...I am glad that the roof was closed,...not only for me as a fan, but also for the corps members.

Give it a break,....if DCI and Lucas found it safe, economical, and for the good of the perceived audio enhancement,they will open the roof.

I wish they would have had a roof at Minneapolis.

We are still debating this? Seriously, boys and girls. Not even the Indianapolis Colts, the primary tenants of the building, can have the roof open all the time. Like Appleknocker said, it was hot and muggy. I was walking the lot on semi's night and I was burning up in shorts and a t-shirt. Same for when I was walking around downtown Saturday afternoon. When the conditions are right, they will open the roof.