Judging Frustrations

Ok I have had it with the judging this season. In the best competitive season in some time the judges have really been awful. Case in point- SCV's battery has been struggling all season long and were 11th in Quarters, but 8th in Semis? Wow. BK was 9th in Brass and 8th in percussion in quarters, dropped to 11th in Semis despite a much more consistent performance. Crown is 4th in Brass, 4th really? The Blue Devils are that much better than everyone else? I really feel and have felt even as a fan of theirs over the years their brass over blows and especially this year. How is it the Cavies are not winning Guard, GE and vis? i respect the Blue Devils this year and middle of the year I would've had no problem with them mostly sweeping captions, but now? NO WAY!! NOT BUYING!! Also the Blue Stars should be in front of SCV and right up the Regiments nose. I cry BS that BS's drumline is the 10th best line!! Finally my beloved BK.... I recognize that Madison is doing very well and deserves what's happening. I have no problem with Madison or with them beating BK. My issue is how can you justify dropping BK's score from Quarters to Semis when clearly all the way around the corps had a better performance in Semis? I know the whole- "Well less corps so it can get spread out and many from 11-17 dropped in score," but COME ON!! If this was ever a year to have 11 corps in the 90's this is it!! AND THEY ALL DESERVE IT!! I hate the who stigmata of well usually a corps scores 86.something for 12th and 87-88 something for 11th. Come on judges, score for execution. I love this season and honestly wish the judges would stop being so stiff and ridged in their scores. I hope all the corps have great performances tonight, Good luck to all. I would've had Semis like this:

1) Cavies- 98.20

2) BD- 97.80

3) Bluecoats- 97.00

4) Crown- 96.75

5) Cadets- 96.25

6) Blue Stars- 93.10

7) Phantom- 92.90

8) SCV- 91.40

9) Madison- 90.50

10) Boston- 90.25

11) Blue Knights- 89.75

12) Glassmen- 86.00

13) Academy- 85.00

14) Colts- 84.60

15) Troopers- 84.00

16) Spirit- 83.80

17) Crossmen- 81.80

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Crown is 4th in Brass, 4th really? The Blue Devils are that much better than everyone else?

So you don't have any issue with the judges scores that places the 2nd and 3rd place brass lines ahead of Crown? Just the Blue devils.

I see....

I would recommend you become a judge if you could do better job but they probably have enough bias already...or was that your point?

The only part of the judging process I'd like to be re-examined is the averaging of two judges scores, it seems they should really do it for all captions, that would more easily identify fair judging. Unfortunately the side affect would be lower scores anmd most likely ALOT tighter spreads but maybe that's not a bad thing.

I mean if two judges gave the colorguard a 10.0, you know they were on fire that night.

Edited by jhallman

You're not on the field. You can't judge any of these captions. Music performance captions come down to the judges standing in front of the bell (or drum) of the performers and evaluating the consistency of playing across the line. While I agree that Crown has far and away the best ensemble brass sound in DCI, there's no way to know how clean they are at field level. I have a feeling that their massive amounts of field coverage probably leaves them more exposed than other corps. Percussion is pretty much the same. You might be able to argue GE scores persuasively but it always comes down to personal preference, and I think you could probably find people elsewhere that disagree with you.

Crown is 4th in Brass, 4th really?

I agree. I cannot BELIEVE that Crown isn't winning brass (again).

On the top of inconsistenies, I don't understand how a corps can score relatively low in percussion and still win music ensemble. Clearly there are inconsistencies between the field and box judges.

I'm also really amused that you just pulled random numbers out of your *** and decided that's what scores should have been. I mean, screw subcaptions and actually adding up scores. Let's just make sh** up!

I am not pulling random numbers- Those are from last night and quarters. If you think other corps are in the same boat and or other captions then fine- Your opinion. I also don't appreciate you flaming me for "making stuff up." I didn't make anything up, it's on the score sheet! Why don't you pull your post and PM me if you'd like to talk, but I am entitled to my opinion and analyzing the scores as I see them!

Wes P

I agree. I cannot BELIEVE that Crown isn't winning brass (again).

On the top of inconsistenies, I don't understand how a corps can score relatively low in percussion and still win music ensemble. Clearly there are inconsistencies between the field and box judges.

Agree totally here. This was something I wondered about in the middle of the season as well!

WP

Ok I have had it with the judging this season.

This is a new, novel thread of discussion that we should definitely engage in for many, many pages. In fact, this concept is so new and unique that I believe we should devote many different spinoff threads to this exciting, fresh topic.

You're not on the field. You can't judge any of these captions.

The end.

Edited by Gibbles

Crown is 4th in Brass, 4th really? The Blue Devils are that much better than everyone else?

So you don't have any issue with the judges scores that places the 2nd and 3rd place brass lines ahead of Crown? Just the Blue devils.

I see....

I would recommend you become a judge if you could do better job but they probably have enough bias already...or was that your point?

The only part of the judging process I'd like to be re-examined is the averaging of two judges scores, it seems they should really do it for all captions, that would more easily identify fair judging. Unfortunately the side affect would be lower scores anmd most likely ALOT tighter spreads but maybe that's not a bad thing.

I mean if two judges gave the colorguard a 10.0, you know they were on fire that night.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!! is flamebate.

Brass was decided by .1 increments from 5th to 1st last night. Meaning Crown was .3 behind the leaders. In that respect of the original post, I think putting 4th place on it makes it look like a bigger deal than it really is. I agree with the OP that more corps should be cracking 90 and I also agree with their placements (sans Cadets in 5th .. they were better than Crown last night).

This is a new, novel thread of discussion that we should definitely engage in for many, many pages. In fact, this concept is so new and unique that I believe we should devote many different spinoff threads to this exciting, fresh topic.

The end.

Glad you feel it's worthwhile enough to take time to respond :ph34r: Funny being involved in music for 20 years gives me no right to make comments about what I hear, you're right! Cause I am the only person that questions scores on this board. I forgot! :thumbup:

W P

Agree totally here. This was something I wondered about in the middle of the season as well!

WP

Playing together as an ENTIRE MUSIC ENSEMBLE is NOT the same as judging field percussion and listening for ticks, checking technique, etc ad nauseum.