Oswego Observations

I hadn't planned to write a review of the Oswego show but, since nobody else seems to have made the effort, I'll share my observations.

The show started on time with the Joliet Kingsmen, despite a malfunctioning PA system which forced the announcer to yell to the audience and the first few competing corps. The Kingsmen deserve a great deal of credit for fielding a show with such a small number of very young kids. Though their performance was very rough at this early date, all the elements are in place for them to have a successful competitive season. The drumline is definitely the strongest section of the corps at this point, but when you consider that most of the Kingsmen's kids have never played an instrument and/or marched before, you have to smile and applaud their efforts.

The Americanos are also fielding a small unit but their show has enormous potential to grow. The Latin theme of the Mask of Zorro book suits them well, and some nice moves from a good color guard enhanced the flavor of the music. The small hornline produced a nice sound. Once the music is fully mastered and the kids are comfortable with it, the problems of blend, ensemble and phasing that were evident last night, should be quickly cleared up.

Capital Sound had one of my favorite shows last year with their fun production of recognizeable music, so I was excited to view their 2003 effort. While they definitely exhibit the same kind of feel-good, fun-loving style, their new musical selections were not as readily familiar. Nonetheless, they were the first group to elicit any appreciable crowd response with their colorful, high energy show. The hornline has a very nice sound and, like Americanos, once they completley master the book, should be able to project it with far more power and accuracy. The visual program also has good potential and seems well-suited to this medium sized corps.

I was rather pleasantly surprised to see Pioneer on the field with a relatively strong effort. The corps seems to have lost momentum over the last few years and I, like others, feared they may have begun a backwards slide. Happily, the corps seems to be at about the same number as last year, and may even be slightly larger. (Several new memebers stood on the sidelines and will obviously be incorporated into the show over the next few weeks.) The hornline is matched in numbers by the drumline -- 26 in each, if I recall correctly -- and, as might be imagined, the sound is somewhat percussion heavy. Still, the hornline manages to produce a nice, rich timbre with some very effective low brass passages. The musical book is all Holsinger. While I've not been a big fan of Pioneer's theme shows of the past few years, I don't know that Holsinger was the best choice, particularly for a struggling corps that really needs to establish a unique identity to sell itself to the public and, more importantly, potential members. However, my biggest concern at this point is the drill and visual package. The drill seems conceived for a much larger corps and is spread over too large an area to be effectively covered with so few marchers. Forms never really materialized and spacing seemed to be a big problem. Perhaps some of this will be rectified when the new members are incorporated into the show. On the whole, however, Pioneer presented a more sophisticated program and look than they have in the past.

I am really hesitant to say much about the Cavaliers because opinions on this corps are so polarized and tend to illicit such strong emotions. Let me just state that if you've liked the Cavaliers the past 3 years and have enjoyed their all-original productions and the style they've cultivated, you will undoubtedly like this year's effort, as well. The style of music, style of drill, style of choreography, in fact, the overall style/ tone of Spin Cycle, is very similar to Four Corners and Frameworks. In my opinion, this is Frameworks with rounded edges. The concept here is, of course, spinning and there are numerous spinning drill moves that are quite complex and eye-catching, as well as individual spinning moves by members of the guard and corps proper. That such a complex drill has been mastered so early in the season is amazing, though it was apparent the guard work was not finished. Hopefully, much more will be added, because I found the visual program to be rather subdued. The drill, in and of itself, is quite busy and there is a great deal taking place on the field, but the color guard really didn't make a strong visual statement (other than with their uniforms -- which can best be described as lime green ninja turtles meet bike racer). Musically, the playing was extremely competent and confident for this early in the season, though I wasn't particularly moved by the original music book. In all fairness, there is so much going on in this show, both visually and musically, that it will need to be experienced several times before it is fully appreciated, preferably from a higher vantage point than the 25th row of Oswego High School Stadium.

Until last year, I was never much of a Glassman fan. However, as the 2002 season progressed I really came to appreciate and like the kids from Toledo and looked forward to their 2003 presentation. I wasn't disappointed. I found more to like in this early-season effort than in their last 4 programs combined. There seems to be something of a new approach this year -- towards a more crowd-pleasing style as opposed to the more serious, subdued one of the past. The show has impact, power, excitement, and the potential to be a very colorful, entertaining offering. The music is largely unfamiliar, but is pleasant and melodic. The hornline sounded great, though there is obviously room for cleaning. Once that is done and work can begin on layering the sound to reveal its textures, dynamic shadings, and timbral subtleties, things should start to happen. It will be interesting to see how this show develops over the summer, because it really seems to have a great deal of potential.

There you have it. Sorry for the lack of detail and/or specifics, but seeing the shows for the first time I really just wanted to get a feel for them rather than concentrate on individual aspects. On the whole, this was a great show, on a great night, with some very promising performances. The weeks ahead should be great.

If I remember correctly the Royal Airs performed at Oswego...no review for them???

:(

I can't find one either................ ANYWHERE. I heard at the party last night that someone ripped us a new one on RAMD but I have yet to find it. Googled and everything.

You can't please ALL the people ALL the time........ I thought we were great last night for our first time out in my entirely BIASED opinion!

:)

Edited by TerriDitt57

YIKES!!!

How could I have failed to mention the Royal Aires? I was continually impressed with this group last year and never failed to mention them whenever the opportunity arose. I was just as delighted to see them in Oswego. They were one of the high points of the evening for me. Though the original unit existed before my time, the reunion corps is a wonderful reminder of what drum corps used to be like in the days when I first became acquainted with the activity.

The performance in Oswego was spirited and amazingly clean for a group that, I can only assume, practicies a limited number of hours before hitting the field. The Truman Crawford arrangements of familiar tunes are great fun and never fail to get the crowd involved. In fact, the Royal Aires were easily the crowd favorite, eliciting huge waves of applause from the appreciative audience. I'm always a littie curious if the audience is responding to the fact that the average age of the group is 55+, to the nostalgia factor, or to the genuinely entertaiing show. (The Kiltes get the same kind of response.) Regardless, the Royal Aires are a class act and one of the most entertaining units on the field. Kudos!

How could I have failed to mention the Royal Airs?

The performance in Oswego was spirited and amazingly clean for a group that, I can only assume, practicies a limited number of hours before hitting the field.

In fact, the Royal Airs were easily the crowd favorite, eliciting huge waves of applause from the appreciative audience.

Regardless, the Royal Airs are a class act and one of the most entertaining units on the field.

I was beginning to think I'd dreamed doing the show Friday night!

Thanks for the kind words. It makes the drive from Denver, Colorado to Oswego, Illinois well worth it.

p.s. Terri - it was all a dream, wasn't it? I made it back home in one piece. Next week Woodstock and thank god I am flying for this one.

It is a dream, isn't it, Pooh! I hope I don't wake up!

I'm glad you're flying too! We ALL want a safe and sound Pooh Bear in da house!

Thanks for being there for all this. We ALL know what a personal sacrifice it is for you and we LOVE you for doing it!

:)

Edited: No Need to quote the response directly above, Embedded quotes slow down the site

Edited by Psiguy