REVOLUTION: "Fade to Black"

This season, the decision makers at Revolution decided to try something different. The result was "Fade to Black", a show about the transition from light to dark... good to evil. I sat in the stands for several shows and watched the looks of confusion, disbelief, and in some cases shock, on the faces of many spectators... exactly what the show's designers were going for. All of that said, I am very interested to know what those of you who saw the show actually thought of it.

This season, the decision makers at Revolution decided to try something different. The result was "Fade to Black", a show about the transition from light to dark... good to evil. I sat in the stands for several shows and watched the looks of confusion, disbelief, and in some cases shock, on the faces of many spectators... exactly what the show's designers were going for. All of that said, I am very interested to know what those of you who saw the show actually thought of it.

I saw the corps during their California swing early in the year...in fact 4 or 5 shows. Unfortunately I was on the track for all of them taking photos, but I usually get a good feel for the various shows from that vantage. I thought Revo was doing some fine work, didn't get the "show" part of it, however...but, then, unless it's Sparticus, I rarely do :thumbup: ...I'm sure there are many like me, lol. That said, just saw the show on VOD and was really wowed...in the end the corps really came together; all sections were strong and very competent. I was especially impressed with the visual program in general...nice book. I dunno, though, I think most design staffs fail to take into consideration how far away most audiences are, and how hard it is to *really* make the connect. I'm a VK guy for the most part and was on staff in various roles for quite a few of those wonderful programs; we never tried to *teach* anyone anything, and if there was any question of getting intent across, well, we made a dam sign or something! Revo's intent went as far as the title of the show to me, then, as most always happens, I got into the nuts and bolts and dug on the music and marching...when the black character came out I didn't know what it was all about but it was fun watching him/her interact with the other performers! So, maybe I'm the last guy to ask about a story line, but I liked the drum corps! FWIW, I took Impulse out on their '05 trip and we had a great time with the Revo bunch, lots of mutual respect and rooting for one-another, so I'm a bit of a homer! :sad:

cg

I saw the show several times in the midwest. At one show I tried to yell and hype a little bit and some little "evil" techie glared at me, so screw it, I did not hype or cheer. Show very well done, not at all sure why or what you were doing was worth the effort. Could not possibly be fun to march, but hey, you scored well! That makes it all worth it in the end, right? Judges were giving lot's of credit and that's what today's drum corps is all about, doing well and moving up the boxes.

I really enjoyed Revolution's show this season. I don't understand how so many people were lost conception-ally. Well I can kind of see it but once that show started to clean up it all started making more since to me. But as usual I felt as if the percussion section was just wailing the guard was not the greatest and the hornline was pretty good, better then they usually are that's for sure. After I watched the show a couple times I finally understood what the cloaked individual was supposed to depict so I understood what they were really going for. Good for them. What really stood out about the show to me was the speed those kids were moving almost the whole show. They ask alot of there performers there and to me I would send any kid of mine there any day over 2 of 3 corps that finished ahead of them. Seeing that corps early season and seeing that corps at the end of the season I wish I could shake the hand of that instructional staff because they are good at what they do. I just wish more people would hop on the Revolution train I mean they do have a championship under there belt as well.