Hey Dynasty...

Except, when tuned by the Phantom Regiment drum staff. I don't know their secret but that is the only Dynasty line I think sounds decent. Still not as good as the average Pearl maple line, and nowhere near as good as the DCI Yamaha lines.

God might as well be tuning Phantom's drums. Those guys could make garbage cans sound brilliant. I have no complaints what so ever about Phantoms drum sound this year. While I definitely prefer Pearl, always have, the current Dynastys are worlds better than they used to be.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great list....what about DCA corps? I think Renegades and SoCalDream are on Dynasty...don't know about the rest.

Off the top of my head, Reading and Connecticut are on Dynasty.

Except, when tuned by the Phantom Regiment drum staff. I don't know their secret but that is the only Dynasty line I think sounds decent. Still not as good as the average Pearl maple line, and nowhere near as good as the DCI Yamaha lines.

You know, I forgot to mention that. I will give Paul R. credit. I will also say that when I was walking up to BD last year in the lot, I thought they were an open class corps based on the sound I heard coming out of the drums.

Really ? Utter garbage? I am a music educator in Texas and have used everyones gear. Everybody makes pretty great stuff but utter garbage is a ridiculous statement. Phantom has sounded amazing every since coming on board with Dynasty. The drums are 100% American maple. They are the only company to use 100% american maple with no filler plys. I did have Pearl at my high school before switching two years ago to Dynasty and I have been very happy. Just like most drums you can get anything to sound good if you tune the drum. I thought Blue Devils sounded amazing with the Dynasty stuff last year. Really did not sound like the typical BD high top head/boxy sound they have had for years. Maybe it was switching to the Evans heads last year I don't know but they sounded great. I think there are just not enough Dynasty groups to sample from out there right now. The drums are amazingly durable. . . built right here and when I did need a couple of things this summer I talked to the guy who was the VP of the company ! Three days later it was in my mailbox along with some stickers for my kids. I am not bashing any other company here but Pearl and Yamaha have been out there for a ton of years and have much more exposure.Dynasty has only been making drums for around ten years ( I think) but they are making a huge impact right now. Go listen to some HS groups or University groups that use Dynasty like Centerville HS , Marion Catholic HS, or University of South Carolina ( My alma matter) and they just switched from Pearl and could not be happier from what they tell me.

We will have to agree to disagree then. I thought BD sounded terrible on the Dynasty stuff last year. I agree that Phantom sounds good. Different strokes for different folks. I thought the change in sound of BD on Pearls was huge. It sounded like a different drumline to me this year.

In my experience, the actual snare guts can make a HUGE difference in sound. I own a Premier free floater that I bought in 1991. I always loved the snare sound coming out of that drum (I know people have complained in the past that those drums fall apart on tour, but this is my personal drum). In '98, I played a crap Ludwig drum that the Empire Statesmen provided. On a whim, I re-gutted the snares with what was on my Premier...Prince TopSpin tennis string. The difference in sound was amazing. It sounded like a different drum. So, that is part of my secret recipe to great sounding drums...Prince Top Spin :tongue:

Maybe Dynasty makes amazing drums. I just haven't heard it yet. Phantom has come the closest, but that's a data point of one.

Actually Dy nasty has been in the drum market since the early 90s approx 92 as best as the memory serves

OK, the power of DCP may actually be working. Dynasty has added a quick press release on their website about Phantom winning drums. BUT, the picture at the top of that page is of a Blue Devils snare drummer......fail!

http://www.dynastyband.com/news/news.php?news_id=858

Unfortunately I guess they can't use the picture of the Phantom Regiment drumline in the lot holding the Fred Samford award, which is mounted on a Yamaha snare drum.....

http://www.facebook.com/regiment#!/pho...id=424291428667

Regarding the other discussion in this thread, Phantom Regiment sounded great, crisp and clean using Dynasty drums. I think much of the debate about Dynasty sound versus Pearl versus Yamaha is 25% product and 75% tuning and technique. Its like NASCAR, is Ford or Chevy better, or is it really the mechanics and drivers that make the cars perform better?