Big Sounds at Reading

Last weekend of vacation, and yet another trip to the Drum Corps Planet, this time to the Reading Contest. This time, the weather was superb for the show, so things worked out far better for everyone involved.

I took the advice of several Reading area people in the related thread and did a drive by of "Zoup" before the contest. the Crab Bisque in a sourdough bowl was quite delicious, and the brownie was also excellent. The place was very clean, simple, and the young folks that worked there were really great and did a fine job. So-- if you're approaching Reading off 422 or 222S, it's an easy on and off and a good place to eat before the show.

Getting there early helps- I got a great parking space on-campus and didn't have to walk very far. I would advise getting tickets as far in advance as you can. The stadium was pretty much filled, and the advance sales take up everything between the 35 yard lines, period. Again, so much for claims of poor attendance at DCA contests that are attended by no one except the elderly. Fans from 8 to 80 were certainly there in force, and prety excited to be there. Prices, reasonable. You can get good tickets for a DCA show for 20 dollars or less.

I was down lower at this show, that was the best available place, on Side 2. I felt that might be better since there were going to be five of DCA's Class A corps attending, and really-- this was a big shoot-out for all of them. Few of them are usually at a contest, and usually, they're kind of overwhelmed by the amount of the 'Big Boys' present.

I was rather curious, since I hadn't seen any of the Class A units for a couple of years. Small Corps is an art in and of itself. It's like being asked to make a Thanksgiving Dinner with 2 potatoes, a carrot, a box of stuffin', some Rice-a-Roni, and half a chicken. You can't cook like the guy with the turkey and all the trimmin's, but you can make a really good meal if you do it right and have the skill and imagination.

Before the show, Danny Fitz was kind enough to perform the Canadian and American anthems, and I appreciated the fact Danny performed in a key and range that was really conducive to everyone being able to sing along with him. Danny performed as always, musically and professionally.

First up- Shenendoah Sound. (NOTE: My numbers may be off by one or two, please forgive me. Also, I really don't know for certain which corps are in G and B-Flat with a couple of exceptions, so if I call a Trumpet a Soprano, again, I beg your indulgence.) They field about 20 horns, 12 Front Ensemble, 6 Battery, and one Color Guard member with two Drum majors who also cover bari and mello at times.

The choice of "South Pacific" was a good one. It's hard to mess up Richard Rogers. Good melody, solid chords, great tunes many people know and enjoy.

I get the feeling the corps felt the pressure, particularly early on. The opening drill was spaced so the horns seemd pretty hesitant to jump in and attack the musical program, and perform it with a good depth of dynamics and support. The Battery was more solid, and kept things driving.

Their Bari soloist/DM does a fine job with his solos in the program, and their Contra solost did the "Stew Pot" feature really well.

The idea of adding in the horns on various percussion instruments during their feature was a good one, but as to the limbo line with who was still out in the field, there has to be some better visual solution that's a good fit with the show content. Even a small drill, just something else would have to be an enhancement.

Their single guard member also does fine work, it's a shame they don't have more individuals like her to help her enhance the program. She does a fine job.

The marimba players in the front enselmble are also afforded some nice musical moments where they shine as well.

Hopefully, the corps can also get the music stowed and performed with more confidence and authority for next week. I think the corps is much improved over the last time I saw them a couple of years back, and I've been assured by others they've made strides over last season. they're just going to have to get some basic things into shape and get their program learned in more depth in the future, and performed more confidently to continue to make strides in 2011.

I'd seen the White Sabers a few times in tha past, and they've definitely kicked it up several notches from what I felt was an ebb in quality a couple of years ago for them. It's a Cirque D' Soliel program, and it's written very nicely for what they have-- 2DM, 8FE, 8CG, 10 FE, 17 Brass.

A serious concern with a composition like that would be that the Battery could stomp on the brass if they were so inclined. they play with good attention to balancing the brass, and it's a real help to their overall effort. The Bass Drums are a partciular standout of their battery.

Their Feature Trumpet's quite good, and they hornline has a really good understanding of their dynamic envelope and is pretty subtle for a small group.

There was some last-minute dirt that can be easily cleaned for championships, the final percussion feature, some individual jitters. Overall, their mello and bari sections do solid work as well.

The final segment of the show needs to be performed at least 4-12 beats per minute quicker than it is- it's just slow enough that it doesn't generate the kind of intensity and excitement that it could be capable of because of that. One or two clickys on Dr. Beat and some pushing, and the problem can also be solved, if the musicians aren't complacent or rooted too deeply in that tempo. It just needs driven a bit, not laid in on cruise control.

Overall, the White Sabers have picked it up several notches from when I last saw them, they're performing with some teeth in their performance, which I respect and appreciate. They just need to continue down this path and keep growing.

Next up, one of last season's Class A Finalists, Carolina Gold. They're fielding a pretty balanced group of 6 FE, 2DM, 10 battery, 20 Horns and 8 CG. The "Whodunit?" theme's been done a lot, but they had a good take on it, and the charts were very fresh and well thought out. Only in DCA will you see a corpse drug off in the first 30 seconds of the show, unless you're Phantom, I guess. :thumbup:

The Hornline's beefy for its size, and they have a sideline guy on trumpet/soprano who packs a nice wallop, worthy of comparison to one of my two personal fave guys at this kind of duty, Roger Grupp. They have a good impact, and aren't afraid to play and hit hard. DCA fans appreciate this, and the crowd was buying into them quite nicely.

They do some Bernard Herrmann inserts, from "Psycho" and I do believe a ballad from another psycholgical thriller kind of movie, and it's arranged well for their ensemble, and it sounded rather nice-- I really appreciated it.

However, one thing I didn't appreciate was some of the on-field counting. I'm gonna scold on this- We're one week out from championships. The guard should know their work, and know and feel the pulse of the show. For lord's sake, I'm old and creaky, and the corps' percussion lays down a very clear and palpable pulse I could find quite easily.

Then for Pete's sake-- why in Sam Scratch is the Guard Captain yelling out counts!?????????? It's a real distraction from the program! Early in the season, things like that are forgiveable--- but that needs to stop now. If you're that shaky going into Championships and can't find the counts or know them... well... it's not a good thing.

The percussion's solid, but needs to keep cleaning, and the guard features were really fine performers as well.

I'm unsure about the show ending. My guess is the culprit escaped since I didn't see anyone drug off the field by the cops. I just hope certain corps don't get ideas from this show ending and play post-show jams outside the stadium... :thumbup:

Overall though, the product's pretty solid and quite likeable- the crowd seemed to relate and enjoy them greatly as I also did, but if they want to make sure they make finals, and do well-- tighten up the percussion, make the ending clearer somehow... and get rid of the yelling of counts.... please!

Next from Ontario, the Kingston Grenadiers. Lots of talk, lots of Hype on DCP. Was the hype all real, or hot gas one could use to go have fun ballooning? I was rather curious. They field 9 FE, 10 CG, 12 battery, 19 Horns, and a DM.

The Mellilo 'Stormworks' book was a thoughtful choice, and the arrangements are solid. The percussion book is tasty, espcially the snare book, but at times a bit over the horns on the hits and impacts.

Their Guard's feature performers are particularly good, their Flugel soloist did a fine job. Their bari section is also of note as well as the high brass. The corps performs the "Mel Swells" (sections Mellilo writes with big crescendos and pretty chords that he himself refers to as) quite well.

However---

I'm not gonna mince words or soft soap now, and if people feel stung- my response is this to you-- take it as a challenge to get things together and push for next week, because these things are real problems and might well have cost you second in class at the contest-- or at least have closed down your gap to Carolina Gold considerably. Yell at me all yah want and flame away-- I wear asbestos armor, guys... but will it do you any good in regards to your placement next weekend? Nope. Take it as a possible map to improvement and doing well.

The Mellos didn't have a good night. I'm not certain of a couple of them don't realize their horns have a couple of notes that might be really dicey and they need to really listen and favor those pitches- or- were they just out and had a bad night they wish they had back? They really need to get in tune with the rest of the ensemble, which was pretty decent otherwise. It was like a sandwich with really good bread and bad meat.

And-- if I'm gonna scold CG on the counts-- Grennies percussion--- folks-- you need to get rid of the near constant "DUHT-DUHT-DHUTs" in the opener. Frankly, it was annoying and could be heard over the horns. It got me downright irascible and grumpy. The pulse is obvious, people need to have that pulse internalized by now- it's a week before finals. Ditch that HS band stuff, please. 'Nuff Said. :thumbup:

The Grennies have the potential to do very well with this technically sophisticated program, but they need to really fix those issues, and it'd be a big help for their cause without doing a whole lot of work.

Last in Class 'A', Fusion Core, using a blend of music from "Wicked" and "Jekyll and Hyde". They're fielding 8 FE, 12 Battery, 2DM, 20 horns and 12 CG.

They present a very polished image in terms of their marcing and their brass perfoemance. The attention to detail is very obvious and appreciated. The Contra/Tuba feature's quite fine as well. The corps is really energetic and aggressive, but they know how hard they can push without it geting nasty. They also understand that an energetic *visual* push can also enhance the music as well and they do a really solid job at this. Their brass book's really written with a real consideration for the individual corps members, and I think it shows in their performance of it. Could they win Class A? I'd think so, but I'd think the Govies and the Vigilantes will do their best to stop them. I think they're going to be well-prepared and ready to rock the place in Class A next weekend, and they can't be taken lightly.

Overall- Carolina Gold and the Grennies have advantages and disadvantages quite different from each other- it will be up to CG's battery to keep cleaning to keep that gap open, and the Grennies to get what I mentioned earlier spiffed up and the feet cleaned up. Who wants it more? It will likely spell the difference between the two, and maybe-- whether one of these corps gets to finals or not. Class A will be well worth watching for that reason alone next weekend. Only those who can really bring it at a top level will make finals, and it should bring out some fantastic perfoemances for that very reason.

Intermission hit- I got to meet Tom Moore, which was fantastic, and everyone got to stretch for the open class shoot-out, which I'll get to later. I've spent an hour at the keyboard with my hastily-scrawled notes, it's pushing 3 AM, and I need to sleep..........

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review and on the mark with Shen Sound. Good night!

Edited by Shenandoah Vibrato

BigW...if meeting me was a highlight of your night, then you need to ditch the computer and get out more often!

One thing I'll say about the crowd..the stadium was packed full the entire show and the crowd certainly gave it up for every corps!

Nice chatting with you as well. It was a great night! Looking forward to reading the rest.

OUTSTANDING review.

My only question is, why would you think VIGILANTES would give them a run for the title? They were almost 8 points behind Fusion's score last weekend

I guess because of their success last season. It would appear at this point that Sun Devils have a better shot at that.

OUTSTANDING review.

My only question is,

Why? They were a finalist last year. No one's really made contact. They weren't out last weekend, either. They could have cleaned up a fair amount of dirt, and they could clean up some more this week. Assuming anyone is x automatically ahead of y before the corps actually make contact is pre-judging the contest before it happens. That's something people love to accuse the judges of doing, and I won't do it. One could say that perhaps they're not as good as they were last year, and perhaps they won't do as well--- *perhaps* ... maybe *likely*.

I'm certain the staff and members of Fusion Core aren't assuming anything's a slam-dunk against anyone. From the people I know who are involved, they're too experienced and smart to ever do that. When you start thinking....

"....why would you think VIGILANTES would give them a run for the title? They were almost 8 points behind Fusion's score last weekend....." in your head, and prepare with those kinds of thoughts in your mind when you rehearse and instruct, that's when the disaster hits, and you go home wondering what could have been.

IIRC, Fusion Core was also looking at a finalist spot all summer and missed out last year. never, ever assume.

Edited by BigW

Part two of the review should be short. The skinny? Empire went on and brought out the kitchen sink this week. If you want to know what they do-- read the Bucknell review. They put on a finals-quality performance. The battery was oozing with confidence and command of their program, relaxed, in groove, performing with verve and panache. The hornline was tight, homogenous, and really beefy, the show went on seamlessly, Ritchie did his thing as Ritchie does, (my other fave guy who does that sort of thing along with Mr. Grupp...) the costumed performers were fantastic. They're ready for Championships. I also respect the cojones they have for coming down to Reading and taking them on head-to head on their turf. Any corps that aspires to be a champion does things like that, and they don't blink. Empire didn't blink. David Bruni looked rather pleased with the run afterwards. He should have been.

The Bucs didn't blink, either. The Mellos had a particularly GOOD night for them. The hornline can hit as hard as Empire, perhaps harder. Yes, the hornline can punch you in the jaw, DCA-style. They're not out there stylistically noodling about for numbers. They rocked the stadium with Spartacus, and let me say this- the mellos in the opening part of "Festa Romana"-- they know where I'm talking about-- the really open harmonic triplet... 'da-da-da-daaahhh', Dear God! Serious, massive, testicularosity! YEAH! Looking at the recap, maybe the run might have been just a little ragged because of the oomph, but a statement was made in that area. Reading's set to fight for 6 in a row. They'll be ready to knock heads.

The numbers are showing Empire's closing, and they should. They're in a realm of seriously diminishing returns for every tenth now. It takes far more effort to gain the tenths in terms of rehearsal and performance. The panel sent the message that they're effectively tying reading in several subcaptions, that it'll be a call, perhaps, as to who wants this championship more than the other corps. I think Reading has an slim advantage. I frankly don't know how hard Empire can squeeze their orange and get any more drops out of it. I think they might have gotten all of the juice out of themselves and their program that they can humanly get. They can certainly suprise everyone, and if they get more out of themselves, it'd be incredible. The Bucs, on the other hand, I think, have about three more tiny drops they can squeeze out of the orange depending on how hard they squeeze. The numbers on the recap indicate this as well.

Also, we have MBI as a serious wild card thrown into the mix. Who knows?

All in all, the season's not a slam-dunk. Right now, it appears the top DCA corps are all in a good situation momentum-wise, Kidsgrove's got a lot they can work on and get a strong bounce, and the Southern and Western end of things haven't been out for awhile. Anything can happen from top to bottom in terms of the shake-out in open.

In Class A, the show should be a very good one as well, the competitors all have clear personalities and put on good shows and fine performances. They have a lot to fight for, since only 4 spots are open.

Those going to Rochester should see some very inspired performances. Everyone's got someting to fight for- whether it's pride, a spot of two, making finals, winning the whole Enchilada- it should be a good weekend.

GAH! I almost forgot the Bucs Alumni! Gads, I apologize! It was good to see the tradition and the vets out there. I think people tend to forget the Bucs have a tradition that this run of success was built on, and that they went through a really hard time before this run. If one belives in the yin and yang thing, they were so down at one point, this is just the kharmic wheel spinning to make up for that period of time.

The Bucs have done a rather eclectic mix of music over the decades, and their alumni corps reflected this in their repertoire- Chuck Mangione, Russian Christmas Music, the Navy Hymn, and a really pretty old-school arrangement of "Beyond the Sea" to finish up their end of the show. They did a great job for their fans and families.

As for me, back to the real world again. I've enjoyed doing this a lot more than I thought I would, and have to thank Ream for more or less daring me to do these. I just hope that everyone here on DCP and all of the corps have good health, wealth, and a great off-season and I'll be back doing this. My best to everyone! :thumbup:

Edited by BigW

BigW...if meeting me was a highlight of your night, then you need to ditch the computer and get out more often!

Heh- My job is the pits. Anything that is outside of my job is a highlight. I think that explains why I drive Ream nuts at Alumni rehearsal. I'm just do excited NOT to be working and doing something that makes me happy. :thumbup:

Part two of the review should be short. The skinny? Empire went on and brought out the kitchen sink this week. If you want to know what they do-- read the Bucknell review. They put on a finals-quality performance. The battery was oozing with confidence and command of their program, relaxed, in groove, performing with verve and panache. The hornline was tight, homogenous, and really beefy, the show went on seamlessly, Ritchie did his thing as Ritchie does, (my other fave guy who does that sort of thing along with Mr. Grupp...) the costumed performers were fantastic. They're ready for Championships. I also respect the cojones they have for coming down to Reading and taking them on head-to head on their turf. Any corps that aspires to be a champion does things like that, and they don't blink. Empire didn't blink. David Bruni looked rather pleased with the run afterwards. He should have been.

The Bucs didn't blink, either. The Mellos had a particularly GOOD night for them. The hornline can hit as hard as Empire, perhaps harder. Yes, the hornline can punch you in the jaw, DCA-style. They're not out there stylistically noodling about for numbers. They rocked the stadium with Spartacus, and let me say this- the mellos in the opening part of "Festa Romana"-- they know where I'm talking about-- the really open harmonic triplet... 'da-da-da-daaahhh', Dear God! Serious, massive, testicularosity! YEAH! Looking at the recap, maybe the run might have been just a little ragged because of the oomph, but a statement was made in that area. Reading's set to fight for 6 in a row. They'll be ready to knock heads.

The numbers are showing Empire's closing, and they should. They're in a realm of seriously diminishing returns for every tenth now. It takes far more effort to gain the tenths in terms of rehearsal and performance. The panel sent the message that they're effectively tying reading in several subcaptions, that it'll be a call, perhaps, as to who wants this championship more than the other corps. I think Reading has an slim advantage. I frankly don't know how hard Empire can squeeze their orange and get any more drops out of it. I think they might have gotten all of the juice out of themselves and their program that they can humanly get. They can certainly suprise everyone, and if they get more out of themselves, it'd be incredible. The Bucs, on the other hand, I think, have about three more tiny drops they can squeeze out of the orange depending on how hard they squeeze. The numbers on the recap indicate this as well.

Also, we have MBI as a serious wild card thrown into the mix. Who knows?

All in all, the season's not a slam-dunk. Right now, it appears the top DCA corps are all in a good situation momentum-wise, Kidsgrove's got a lot they can work on and get a strong bounce, and the Southern and Western end of things haven't been out for awhile. Anything can happen from top to bottom in terms of the shake-out in open.

In Class A, the show should be a very good one as well, the competitors all have clear personalities and put on good shows and fine performances. They have a lot to fight for, since only 4 spots are open.

Those going to Rochester should see some very inspired performances. Everyone's got someting to fight for- whether it's pride, a spot of two, making finals, winning the whole Enchilada- it should be a good weekend.

GAH! I almost forgot the Bucs Alumni! Gads, I apologize! It was good to see the tradition and the vets out there. I think people tend to forget the Bucs have a tradition that this run of success was built on, and that they went through a really hard time before this run. If one belives in the yin and yang thing, they were so down at one point, this is just the kharmic wheel spinning to make up for that period of time.

The Bucs have done a rather eclectic mix of music over the decades, and their alumni corps reflected this in their repertoire- Chuck Mangione, Russian Christmas Music, the Navy Hymn, and a really pretty old-school arrangement of "Beyond the Sea" to finish up their end of the show. They did a great job for their fans and families.

As for me, back to the real world again. I've enjoyed doing this a lot more than I thought I would, and have to thank Ream for more or less daring me to do these. I just hope that everyone here on DCP and all of the corps have good health, wealth, and a great off-season and I'll be back doing this. My best to everyone! :thumbup:

Big W wrote...

"I frankly don't know how hard Empire can squeeze their orange and get any more drops out of it. I think they might have gotten all of the juice out of themselves and their program that they can humanly get."

That's why you aren't on a staff of a corps that has been in the Top 3 for the past 20 years. Go down the list of Empire's staff and count the rings (Empire and Brigs). They'll show up.

Big W wrote...

"I frankly don't know how hard Empire can squeeze their orange and get any more drops out of it. I think they might have gotten all of the juice out of themselves and their program that they can humanly get."

That's why you aren't on a staff of a corps that has been in the Top 3 for the past 20 years. Go down the list of Empire's staff and count the rings (Empire and Brigs). They'll show up.

Pretty insulting, Tom. Empire has a rep of getting the most out of their program. If anyone can find it, they will. I'd think if I had the right connections and a real 9-5 job, I just might suprise you in terms of what I might be able to offer the right corps in terms of instructional value if given the opportunity. I didn't earn my Grad degree in a vaccum. I didn't earn a Mus.Ed. degree from a box oif crackerjack. I earned it at West Chester (with honors, too) along with some fine people in the activity that also happen to come from there. Maybe I know more of what I'm talking about than your comments seem to indicate you think I do.

I'm really not into playing the "how big and long is my resume game" here with you, but I really don't appreciate your comment. Period. I've been involved in this activity for 36 years, with two degrees, educated people in music from pre-school to college age, performed in DCA for 6 seasons with a fine hornline, perform professionally with a good brass quintet, and have adjudicated for a quarter-century. I will not take your guff and your insult by sitting back.

Only took me five years to earn MY 5-year ring with a pretty fine horn line taught by fine people as well. I don't think you need to be as pushy and snide as you were to me. I *will* push back and won't take it.