Big Sounds at Reading

Big W wrote...

"I frankly don't know how hard Empire can squeeze their orange and get any more drops out of it. I think they might have gotten all of the juice out of themselves and their program that they can humanly get."

That's why you aren't on a staff of a corps that has been in the Top 3 for the past 20 years. Go down the list of Empire's staff and count the rings (Empire and Brigs). They'll show up.

no offense, Tom, but all of the players have some pretty heavy names on staff. I know you want your old team to win, but this is uncalled for.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and then you wonder why people don't post reviews.

can't wait to see reactions to mine in a while.

So will Grennies.....you obviously know this guy with credentials??? Seems to me he needs to be more than an armchair quarterback...seriously I don't know him from Adam...but he wears asbestos underwear..He should really judge cause he is very judgemental and yah I am flaming away......wow you know everything....anyway ..thanks for the advice...... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::tongue::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

REVIEWS PEOPLE! One person's opinion, just like a judges opinion. Lets not S**T on the guys that have the cajons to post a review. The more you do this, the less people want to write reviews, and I for one and thankful as all hell for the folks that do reviews, whether you agree with them or not.

There were times when I was marching, I would read a review on here on Monday morning, NOT agree with it at all, but politely said "thanks for the review" and moved on. I think we all should be doing just that.

To BigW, Jeff Ream, Gadget and the rest...thanks for the reviews over the years! You folks do a fantastic job!

thanks. preparing for the shots most likely coming my way in a bit. It's readers like you that make us still want to be crazy enough to do it.

So will Grennies.....you obviously know this guy with credentials??? Seems to me he needs to be more than an armchair quarterback...seriously I don't know him from Adam...but he wears asbestos underwear..He should really judge cause he is very judgemental and yah I am flaming away......wow you know everything....anyway ..thanks for the advice...... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup::tongue::worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

There's a distinct difference to "knowing everything"- which I lay no claim to- If you read a previous review of the Brassmen Alumni at the Shamrock Festival- their Bari soloist took me to school, for which I thanked him. I think of myself as someone who learns constantly about many things. I drive Ream insane with a lot of questions about percussion because I have a great desire to learn more about it. He understands this, and he helps me.

It's more that I'm not afraid and that I'm confident enough about myself to state my thoughts and observations and back them up than it is that I "know everything". It's not arrogance, just confidence in my training, what I've learned, and from my experiences. Ream would tell you I'm definitely not arrogant, just... different. :thumbup:

So- is there something about what I said about the Grennies that I'm incorrect or you disagree on? Speak up and state your case, it'd be better than simply trying to mock me. I'm rather certain if you heard one of the Grennie's competitors dutting like they did a week before championships, you'd be all over them for it. If you were a Mello player with them, sorry- you had a rough evening. Period. If you couldn't tell how out of tune you were and can't admit it, I'm not the one with the problem of trying to make finals next week against two corps that don't have that issue. Those kinds of things have meaning, and separate the top from the bottom in tbis activity. We've all had our moments of stink on the field as a performer. Especially myself. I learned from them and got better. If you want to be a smart-arse about what I said, I'd bet a steak dinner at Texas Roadhouse that those issues were discussed with your staff by the panel at the critique or addressed on the tapes.

You can take the potential I said the show clearly has and do something with it-- or, be delusional and stagnate next week. If throwing what I said back in my face by cleaning up the show, fixing the issues and doing well to spite me is what it takes for you to succeed, I'm glad I was able to help. :thumbup:

Pretty insulting, Tom. Empire has a rep of getting the most out of their program. If anyone can find it, they will. I'd think if I had the right connections and a real 9-5 job, I just might suprise you in terms of what I might be able to offer the right corps in terms of instructional value if given the opportunity. I didn't earn my Grad degree in a vaccum. I didn't earn a Mus.Ed. degree from a box oif crackerjack. I earned it at West Chester (with honors, too) along with some fine people in the activity that also happen to come from there. Maybe I know more of what I'm talking about than your comments seem to indicate you think I do.

I'm really not into playing the "how big and long is my resume game" here with you, but I really don't appreciate your comment. Period. I've been involved in this activity for 36 years, with two degrees, educated people in music from pre-school to college age, performed in DCA for 6 seasons with a fine hornline, perform professionally with a good brass quintet, and have adjudicated for a quarter-century. I will not take your guff and your insult by sitting back.

Only took me five years to earn MY 5-year ring with a pretty fine horn line taught by fine people as well. I don't think you need to be as pushy and snide as you were to me. I *will* push back and won't take it.

Dont take it personally.

BUT Its much easy to write about what to do than to do it. over and over again.

RESUMES DO NOT MAKE GREAT DRUM CORPS STAFF MEMBERS . DESIRE ,KNOWLEDGE and MOTIVATION DO.

hats off ( lol) to EMPIRES STAFF.

OMG Again this thread personifies why people refuse to do reviews on here anymore. A really good review of a corps and it's not good enough for someone and they go to lengths to bash the reviewer.

Some people may take pride in putting their name on their screen, yet seem to forget their actions speak louder for them than their name does.

Writing a review ("stop counting, stop duhting") is NOT insulting. It is crticism. It is helpful. "You guys stink" would be a useless, insulting "review." The added "don't know if they can squeeze enough out of the orange...." was more question and speculation than saying "That's All, Folks"

"We weren't counting, we weren't duhting" would be a proper rebuttal to the review. It would have been helpful to the reviewer. It, too, would not have been insulting. The rebuttals given were insulting. Further, Empire's history of squeezing every drop out of the orange on Finals night will cerrtainly answer the question. I think they have enough..... maybe ...... (please don't take that as an insult).

Joe

I've never met Tom Allen, but he does show a strong passion for our activity. I like that. Also don't think I've ever met Big W., but he sure does write VERY fine reviews. I enjoy them.

As a Buccaneer alumni, I'd be pleased if Bucs won again, but have to say, my only viewing of either corps was at Scranton.

Empire has a strong group this year. To me, the Empire visual is weaker than Bucs, but everything else comes across as "right there." It's a very pleasing performance.

(Ream's reviews aren't too bad either)

well of course, if reviews are getting people this ###### off, it can only mean one thing:

GOD I LOVE THE WEEK OF DCA FINALS!!