Phantom Regiment?

2000 was a great percussion section in the Cavaliers. Although, Kuhn had some years with them where I didn't get into his writing at all. 2002 being one of them. I don't know how we get from the 2000 writing to the 2002, 2003 writing, but whatever. 2000 Cavaliers is one of my favorite lines ever. I don't know if I would say it has never been equaled, but they were great that year.

Just speculation, but perhaps Macintosh had some infuence in 2000? As I recall, he was working with them at that time too, caption-head while Kuhn was the arranger maybe?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i'm mistaken, kuhn never wrote the pit parts for the cavaliers, I wonder if he will be writing them for phantom?? (if this is all true)

anybody know how his pit writing is?

the cavaliers probably had my favorite pit writing (and pit in general) for the first half of the 00's , but i don't think he wrote it.

Erik Johnson wrote the pit book at Cavaliers from 98-05, and either 08 or 09-present, as well with WGI powerhouse Music City Mystique since 03. In that time, he has set the standard in front ensemble arrangements, in my opinion.

Just speculation, but perhaps Macintosh had some infuence in 2000? As I recall, he was working with them at that time too, caption-head while Kuhn was the arranger maybe?

Mac was snare tech and then caption head from 98-03.

Mac was snare tech and then caption head from 98-03.

While I am a huge Casella fan, I'm glad Mac is back with cavies. As an arranger, he fits the cavalier persona much better. Casella is one of my favorite arrangers, but to me, it just didn't fit with the cavaliers. I loved the perc writing and the look with Cavies this year.

I still mourn the day Casella left SCV. Hopefully now with Rennick SCV gets back in the thick of things........off topic now, sorry. :worthy:

Although, Casella at Phantom might be cool.

While I am a huge Casella fan, I'm glad Mac is back with cavies. As an arranger, he fits the cavalier persona much better. Casella is one of my favorite arrangers, but to me, it just didn't fit with the cavaliers. I loved the perc writing and the look with Cavies this year.

Amen. I still cringe when I think about the 06-09 lines. Casella's writing was perfect match for SCV, but in general it lacks complexity and difficulty. 2007 and 2008 were embarassingly easy books, certainly not worthy of the talent Cavies had at the time. This year was a huge breath of fresh air with Mac. You can really tell the influence Kuhn had on his writing, but he still maintains a unique style that fits the Cavaliers seamlessly.

Amen. I still cringe when I think about the 06-09 lines. Casella's writing was perfect match for SCV, but in general it lacks complexity and difficulty. 2007 and 2008 were embarassingly easy books, certainly not worthy of the talent Cavies had at the time. This year was a huge breath of fresh air with Mac. You can really tell the influence Kuhn had on his writing, but he still maintains a unique style that fits the Cavaliers seamlessly.

Yeah, in fact i am pretty sure I heard some Kuhn licks that mac threw in there too. (In the new ending, from Atlanta on) Maybe to pay some homage to Kuhn, or to past cavie lines.

Casella's writing was perfect match for SCV, but in general it lacks complexity and difficulty.

You can't be serious. He writes some of the best percussion parts ever heard on a field. Along with Hardimon and Hannum, he is a MUSICIAN first and not a "drum jock" only. His writing didn't exactly fit the Cavaliers vibe but his parts are FAR from simple.