Individual Piece HELP!

will92

Hi there,

I am thinking about competing in an individuals competition, but havent got a clue where to start. I want something that will show of my tone etc, can anybody help/advise me of a piece of music that would be best for a baritone solo.

I'm thinking either classical or jazz (I know they're two contrasting genres)

Cheers,

Will.

I'm looking at doing the same thing. I'm looking at DCA in 2011. I was told by some DCA guys it doesn't really matter what you play. I talked with my Commander at the 35th Infantry Division Band, Kansas Army National Guard and he told me to look at my strengths and pick something that would show these strengths off.

I'm going to scout the local music stores and look on line as well. I'm playing G Baritone in treble clef and will be looking at trumpet solos.

Take a look as some of the DCA and DCI I&E videos on you tube and that should give you a good idea of what to expect and music to look for.

Hi there,

I am thinking about competing in an individuals competition, but havent got a clue where to start. I want something that will show of my tone etc, can anybody help/advise me of a piece of music that would be best for a baritone solo.

I'm thinking either classical or jazz (I know they're two contrasting genres)

Cheers,

Will.

If you're speaking of a 'drum corps' based competition, I can't really help you except to say the range of music acceptable is wide open. You can pretty much play anything you like, and they'll judge you fairly.

As for more 'solo and ensemble' type situations (or college/young artist type situations), you're going to need a 'real' piece - and that means - no jazz - unless it's a 'composed' work with jazz influences. If you'd like to find something like that, I would suggest you look into the Alec Wilder catalog. Wilder started as a song composer, popular with many singers, including Frank Sinatra. As 'pop' music morphed into Rock and Roll, he found fewer and fewer song writing commissions, and turned instead to instrumental composition at the behest of the many sidemen who backed up the recording artists (such as Sinatra) - those side musicians would seek out Wilder, saying (for example...), "Mr. Wilder - I love your songs - you write great changes and so many wonderful 'lines' - would you write a piece for me?" - and he did - hundreds of works (mostly for winds and brass) - including a number of notable works for Euphonium.

My Wilder catalog is not available to me here (I keep it at my office) but I believe he's written a sonata, and perhaps a concerto as well. Both might (probably?) contain significant passages with jazzy inflection.

As for more 'serious' Euphonium works, you're on your own. I don't really know your repertoire - but you can enjoy many hours of 'googling' and discover for yourself what is possible. Youtube is also a good resource - type in various search parameters and listen for yourself, determining what you'd like to play from the actual sound of the works.

Enjoy!

ps: just noticed you're in England - they've got a great tradition of brass bands there - many fine composers. Search for the composer Gregson, et al - and all Brass Band literature. You'll find far more pieces than you could possibly prepare in no time!

Edited by FHdork