Tuba player looking to make the jump to contra

ChadPlaysBass

Here's my situation. I'm a 16 year old tuba player looking to make the jump into drum corps. I'm not the best tuba player in the world, but I'm most definitely not the worst (Sam Pilafian has complimented my playing). When it comes to marching I'm pretty good at it. I still have room for improvement, but I'm willing to work hard to make that improvement.

I am most likely only auditioning for my local corp, The Academy. However, after my senior year I'll be free to do any corp I want. So I was wondering which corp would be better to march contra in? I really want to do either Carolina Crown or Bluecoats. My marching bands drum instructor(Who marched Blue devils 88' 89' keeps telling me to Blue Devils, but I don't think I'll ever have a chance to make it.

What should I do to prepare myself for the task of marching contra for a world class corp?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Audition with and do your local corps. See what's out there, what's involved and just do it. At least see your desired corps perform live to reaffirm or deny your desire to do that. You might like the local option better as you get to see your peers more than once a decade.

Here's my situation. I'm a 16 year old tuba player looking to make the jump into drum corps. I'm not the best tuba player in the world, but I'm most definitely not the worst (Sam Pilafian has complimented my playing). When it comes to marching I'm pretty good at it. I still have room for improvement, but I'm willing to work hard to make that improvement.

I am most likely only auditioning for my local corp, The Academy. However, after my senior year I'll be free to do any corp I want. So I was wondering which corp would be better to march contra in? I really want to do either Carolina Crown or Bluecoats. My marching bands drum instructor(Who marched Blue devils 88' 89' keeps telling me to Blue Devils, but I don't think I'll ever have a chance to make it.

What should I do to prepare myself for the task of marching contra for a world class corp?

1. You will be auditioning on tuba, not contra bass bugle.

2. I agree with Shadow_7. Audition locally, spend a year with the corps if you make it in, and observe other corps whenever you can. Even from afar, a parking lot warmup can tell volumes about the way the members are treated. After making your observations you'll be better equipped to make a choice.

Before you concern yourself with special playing techniques, you gotta be able to hold the things properly. Depending on any sports or other activities you may do, holding a contra may come easy or difficult. For me, since I really don't do any physical activity aside from drum corps, my first few months holding the contra during indoor rehearsals were slightly painful. Now it's not so bad. Of course, any GG contra (ie. Open Class DCI or DCA corps only) with 3 or 4 valves will be noticeably heavier than any 3 valve BBb contra. However, my GG contra is still not as heavy as my 5 valve CC tuba.

As far as playing goes, most BBb contras will play exactly the same as a BBb tuba. They don't play the same as a Sousaphone though. You can get a lot more edge and power behind the notes on a contra than a Sousaphone. Imagine playing a concert tuba, except not holding back so as to not overpower the woodwinds in the concert auditorium. The GG contra takes some work however, since everything is a minor third lower, so even more air is required to play, well... everything. Once you master the secrets of the particular model of horn you will be on, you will learn to be a strong and "robust" player. This past season a DCI judge remarked on the comment tapes that I had a very robust sound, which is not a line you hear very often. They may have been referring to the fact that as one of two contras I was pretty much heard over the rest of the low brass and I wasn't really forcing it out!

Contra is like a bike, once you get the hang of it, it becomes easier and more fun, and then you get bored and start doing tricks and showing off... That's when I&E contests start getting appealing!

And ask that band drum instructor why in the world you'd want to play in a line that is completely covered up with synthesized bass?

Go Bluecoats, young man!

That's what I said to him! everybody in my band program is really biased toward Blue Devils.

Before you concern yourself with special playing techniques, you gotta be able to hold the things properly. Depending on any sports or other activities you may do, holding a contra may come easy or difficult. For me, since I really don't do any physical activity aside from drum corps, my first few months holding the contra during indoor rehearsals were slightly painful. Now it's not so bad. Of course, any GG contra (ie. Open Class DCI or DCA corps only) with 3 or 4 valves will be noticeably heavier than any 3 valve BBb contra. However, my GG contra is still not as heavy as my 5 valve CC tuba.

As far as playing goes, most BBb contras will play exactly the same as a BBb tuba. They don't play the same as a Sousaphone though. You can get a lot more edge and power behind the notes on a contra than a Sousaphone. Imagine playing a concert tuba, except not holding back so as to not overpower the woodwinds in the concert auditorium. The GG contra takes some work however, since everything is a minor third lower, so even more air is required to play, well... everything. Once you master the secrets of the particular model of horn you will be on, you will learn to be a strong and "robust" player. This past season a DCI judge remarked on the comment tapes that I had a very robust sound, which is not a line you hear very often. They may have been referring to the fact that as one of two contras I was pretty much heard over the rest of the low brass and I wasn't really forcing it out!

Contra is like a bike, once you get the hang of it, it becomes easier and more fun, and then you get bored and start doing tricks and showing off... That's when I&E contests start getting appealing!

I'm working on more upper body strength for those times when I'd be in carry position, but playing position doesn't look too bad.

I think I'd get used to the way a contra plays fairly quickly. I have to play 2 different types of concert tubas each day, and each play way different than eachother (Ones a 4 valve king and a smaller rotary valved off-brand tuba) I've only played BBb tubas... I'm not sure if that's much or a problem.

I've heard from many or our instructors that most corps will take potential over talent.

I'm almost positive I'm doing The Academy this year, so I'll get to take a look at Crown and Bluecoats to see if i like em' more or less in person than on the computer screen.

Only having BBb tuba experience is not a problem these days. All of the World Class and most Open Class DCI corps are on BBb contras. I can think of maybe 2 or 3 Open Class corps on GG contras. Since you aren't looking for Open Class DCI or any DCA corps, there is no worry/issue with trying to figure out GG contra music. If you were curious however, GG contra music can be read in concert pitch bass clef, transposed treble clef, or a wacky transposed bass clef that would take the open partials of the G horn (G, D, and G) and transpose them to the bass clef's Bb, F, and Bb (supposedly useful for BBb tuba players who can't read transposed treble clef and can't figure out the new fingering pattern of a G horn in concert pitch). I just find it confusing and unnecessary.

They don't play the same as a Sousaphone though. You can get a lot more edge and power behind the notes on a contra than a Sousaphone.

Interesting. What's the explanation for that?

So, if you were "robust" were you sticking out?