Phantom Regiment Names Percussion Arranger, Caption Head

Phantom Regiment is pleased to announce the hiring of Shane Gwaltney as percussion arranger and caption head.

Gwaltney was a charter member of WGI percussion powerhouse Music City Mystique in 1995 and has been involved ever since. He currently serves as the battery arranger and visual designer.

The Mount Juliet, Tenn., native...

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/index.php?o...2&Itemid=39

Shane is a good man....too bad he left spirit but it's just business. Good Luck Regiment!

And according to his facebook page, Joe Hobbs will also be joining Shane on Phanton's percussion staff.

Joe Hobbs.

Beast.

Losing Rennick is tough. No way to replace a guy like that. PR has been at the top or near the top of the drum sheets over his tenure and for a corps that has struggled with its visual and color guard captions its been nice having a solid percussion program to count on to help stay competitive in the top 6.

Losing Rennick is tough. No way to replace a guy like that.

Regiment loosing Rennick is tough; agreed. He is a great and wonderful arranger / instructor that brought three percussion titles to PR. But to say that there is no way to replace a guy like that; rubbish. He is not God or even a god but a human being. Blue Devils did fine loosing Float and hiring Johnson; SCV did fine loosing Hardiman and hiring Casella. While it is true that there are a select few people who will ever reach that stature, there are people out there who have the same capability to become just like Rennick, Float, Hardiman, Johnson, and Casella if only given the chance.

Regiment loosing Rennick is tough; agreed. He is a great and wonderful arranger / instructor that brought three percussion titles to PR. But to say that there is no way to replace a guy like that; rubbish. He is not God or even a god but a human being. Blue Devils did fine loosing Float and hiring Johnson; SCV did fine loosing Hardiman and hiring Casella. While it is true that there are a select few people who will ever reach that stature, there are people out there who have the same capability to become just like Rennick, Float, Hardiman, Johnson, and Casella if only given the chance.

Agreed. Who was Rennick before Phantom Regiment? How many titles did he win with Crown?

Agreed. Who was Rennick before Phantom Regiment? How many titles did he win with Crown?

LOL...OK, well, Urban Meyer didn't win any national championships before he got the University of Florida. So just because you didn't have a champion pedigree before getting to a place doesn't mean that you don't have the makings of a highly successful instructor or coach. It's all about being at the right place, at the right time, with the right talent.

The better way to look at it is like this....how was PR's drumline before Rennick? So give the man some credit, because they were never considered a force to be reckoned with in the percussion caption before he got there.

A god, no....but he was clearly a good fit for PR and they will likely drop off some without him.

LOL...OK, well, Urban Meyer didn't win any national championships before he got the University of Florida. So just because you didn't have a champion pedigree before getting to a place doesn't mean that you don't have the makings of a highly successful instructor or coach. It's all about being at the right place, at the right time, with the right talent.

The better way to look at it is like this....how was PR's drumline before Rennick? So give the man some credit, because they were never considered a force to be reckoned with in the percussion caption before he got there.

A god, no....but he was clearly a good fit for PR and they will likely drop off some without him.

Hmmm although PR never won 'The Trophy' prior to Rennick they did have great lines under Marty Hurley, John Wooten, and Jeff Prosperie; however, that was not the issue. The contention was within your original posting where you stated, and I quote, that there was "No way to replace a guy like that".

Hmmm although PR never won 'The Trophy' prior to Rennick they did have great lines under Marty Hurley, John Wooten, and Jeff Prosperie; however, that was not the issue. The contention was within your original posting where you stated, and I quote, that there was "No way to replace a guy like that".

Well Stu, from PR's point-of-view I stand behind what I said. PR and Rennick ended up being a perfect match. So yes, for PR I don't think there is a way to replace a guy like that, especially given their financial situation. Do I think there are some talented caption heads out there, absolutely. But again, from the POV of PR it's hard to envision them enjoying the same success under Gwaltney.

And yes, PR had good lines in the past. I'm a fan of Prosperie in particular, but he is a far better pit arranger than a battery arranger. Rennick was exceptional at both.

Either way I guess we'll agree to disagree on this. :smile: